Sea Cliff Hotel(Dar es Salaam)
US$450
US$181
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$202/night.

US$173
US$130
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$158/night.

US$115
US$112
Southern Sun Dar es Salaam(Dar es Salaam)
US$224
New Africa Hotel(Dar es Salaam)
US$123
US$120
Tanzanite Executive Suites(Dar es Salaam)
US$125
US$392
US$283
Hotels.com
  • Spa
All reviewsbeautiful courtyardfour poster bedcolonial stylelovely oasisocean roadsmall poolsmall hotelindian dishesair conditioningrestaurant offersclean roomstaxi ridequiet areathe ground floorfresh fruitinternet accessbusiness trip
Reviewed 29 July 2017

The Protea Courtyard provides a sanctuary in bustling Dar es Salaam, a veritable house of peace. (Dar es Salaam actually itself means House of Peace, but after my phone was pickpocketed in Kivukoni near the Lutheran church, I did not feel so sure about that anymore ...)

The courtyard is lovely and the pool is really refreshing, four loungers there maybe is an underestimate of the need. As remarked before by other reviewers, a few big airconditioning units in the courtyard are really loud and should be moved to the outside of the hotel. The Indian food in the restaurant is great and not too expensive and the service is five star.

We had an interlinked set of twin and double bedrooms, perfect for our purpose ... it is true that the Twin room was a bit too small and crammed full with too much furniture (I would have taken out the table).

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2017

The hotel is good for a 3 star and is everything as advertised. The spoll is pretty small but the restaurant and especially the chef was very nice. The problem was that within an hour of my using my Credit Card at check out, I had 3 fraudulent internet transactions on my card. As long as you are using cash, go for it.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
DinishAntony, Group General Manager - Protea Hotels by Marriott ( Dsm/Znz) at Protea Hotel Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Dear CCSA

Good day, thank you for staying with us twice during your visit to Tanzania. I am extremely sorry about the credit card issue. please rest assured, our Front Office & finance STAFF have been with us for years and they handle several credit card transactions on a daily basis. We have been fortunate enough not to come across such issue. We promise you that we will investigate this matter further with our merchant bank, you do not have to be worried while dealing with us. Please do get in touch with me directly ( gm@protedar.com) as we may need more details on where else the card was used recently, details of attempted charges, etc. We are committed to ensuring your safety & satisfaction. Thank you for your patience & apologies for the inconveniences caused.

Thanks and regards,

Dinish

Reviewed 17 July 2017

Rooms and staff were superb. I had a lovely time in the courtyard at the pool and restaurant in the evenings, and the customer service was truly first-rate.

Rooms were small-ish but quiet and comfortable. A good DSTV package was available in the rooms and the gym (3 great news channels and all SuperSport). The restaurant had a strong menu of local and international foods.

On my last day, I had an 11pm flight and they let me keep my room until 8pm to let me rest up for my long flight back to the US. The strong service won me over.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 July 2017

I was told Dar Es Salaam was noisy and crowded so I needed a quiet place to recharge and am glad I found my Zen home at Protea. The rooms were clean with AC (the city of Dar can be hot), the beds were super comfy. The morning breakfast was the best moment of my day; the buffet is beyond continental with extra local snacks (mandazi) and the staff is very dedicated especially the Maestro Arnold, the chef Athumani and the amazing Happy. I also enjoyed the gym and the pool although I think the noise from the central AC outdoor units disrupt the environment (I'd move them close to the parking lot where the power generator is). The location is also fantastic, not far from the beach (1Km), 3 Km to Oyster Bay (pubs, restaurants, art centers) and 5km from the business district. Oh please try the coffee shop right in front of the hotel, they serve the best salad and smoothies in town!

Room Tip: Higher floors have less A/C unit noise
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
DinishAntony, Group General Manager - Protea Hotels by Marriott ( Dsm/Znz) at Protea Hotel Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2017

Dear Patrick N

Good day, thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this fantastic review. The TEAM and I are delighted that you had an exceptional stay with us & that you have found your " Zen home " at our hotel. I am sure that your detailed review will help other travelers to choose the right hotel for their stay in Dar es Salaam. I will thank the TEAM for their great job - especially Arnold, Athumani and Happy. I am sorry about the AC units, we will work on this. We look forward to host you again in the not too distant future. Ahsante sana!

Dinish Antony

Reviewed 13 July 2017

The Protea Hotel Dar es Salaam Courtyard is your colonial-style haven in present time. Built since the late 1940s (1949 to be exact), the hotel takes pride of its intricate rich wooden carved furniture and architecture, it’s courteous staffs, and an outdoor pool surrounded by natural plants grown in Dar es Salaam.

Truly it felt like a wonderful hideaway for me – that from outdoor to indoor, I felt the natural vibe of the African continent.

Warm up to the natural setting of the hotel’s accommodation as each of the 53 rooms promise a view of the relaxing pool surrounded by beautiful trees. Every room was made up to look vintage and rare as the building had also been considered as an old listed hotel in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.

In spite of this fact, it still hasn’t lost its glow as the staffs and loyal customers continue to give importance to this nature-slash-historical themed hotel. The pool is basically surrounded by nature. The natural scent of the plants, the green environment, and the natural aura will give you a more rejuvenating vacation. It has a number loungers by the sides where you can lie down and relax. Although some of the staff might give you strange awkward looks, they are just concerned in case their guests want something, of course!

Food is both a need and a want for every human being. May it be a part of history or something which a country or place is popular for, people would still flock to that place out of curiosity to get themselves a taste of one. But staying at the Protea Courtyard and eating at their complimentary breakfast buffet – let’s just say I definitely wanted to stay longer and go back the next time I visit Dar es Salaam. Food is life.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends

Dear TwoMonkeysTravel

Good day, thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this fantastic review. The TEAM and I are delighted that you had an exceptional stay with us. I am sure that your detailed review will help other travelers to choose the right hotel for their stay in Dar es Salaam. I will thank the TEAM for their great job . We look forward to host you again in the not too distant future. Ahsante sana!

ps:- Great pics!