“LOVED IT!”

Ranked #13 of 101 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Huntington Beach, California
“LOVED IT!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

It was so affordable that each of us (4 in our group) had our own large private room - normally I plan to share - what a luxury! The staff are SO accommodating, friendly and helpful. Getting to know the Masai guards is a wonderful experience. A couple we met had a small daughter with them and they were so impressed by the care the Masai took to be sure she was safe, even going to the beach area and throwing Frisbee with her. It was clean, the garden areas are immaculate, the restaurant has the best home made pizza due to the authentic Italian style oven they use. I would return in a heartbeat to this wonderful place!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank maggiewaterman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

My colleagues and I stayed here several times while teaching at Muhimbili University and we love the place! The rroms are spacious and comfortable (laundry service is very affordable). Before and after work we had a choice of jumping in the (nice size) pool or in the Indian Ocean (if the tide was in). The people who work at the hotel are personable and friendly and clearly take pride in their work. Management and staff seem to have an excellent working relationship (if you travel a lot you will know how rare that is, especially in Africa). And the food! I cannot say enough about the food! Some of the best Italian food I have tasted anywhere (including Italy and the USA). Mediterraneo offers the best of Tanzania and Italy, as well as the best of Dar es Salaam (short distance to everything) while still being outside of the centre and on the beach. In summary: the PERFECT alternative to all of the places on the Msasani penninsula. I can hardly wait to bring my family here.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank GuyMrefu
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

The Mediterraneo Hotel and Restaurant is one of my favourite places in Africa, and for me the best in Dar es Salaam. This is true for food (really delicious italian cuisine) as well as for accomodation. I have tried the Med on five occasions, and service and quality have been consistent over the past years.

Hotel rooms are simple but decorated in friendly colours and all a bit different. Comfy beds, AC is a bit dated and noisy, but efficient. Bathrooms perfectly OK. Mosquito netting (important in Dar es Salaam) is provided, as is a spray can of insecticide.

But wait until you leave the rooms and take a seat at the bar or the restaurant, where the waves of the Indian Ocean are literally lapping at your feet... You can sit in old dugout canoes or lounge chairs and enjoy a cold Kilimanjaro Beer, while a gentle evening breeze is driving the mosquitos away. A perfect place to enjoy an evening drink with friends, or to while a day away with a good book. At night the whole bar/restaurant area becomes a mystical place, with lounge music, and sometimes with a band. Internet is available at the reception and bar area, and you will certainly make your loved ones jealous if they see you on skype, chatting with a view out onto the turqoise Indian Ocean...

Thanks to the girls at reception for accomodating our needs, this time finding rooms for us even under difficult circumstances or on short notice! And always with a wide smile!

A little downer from our last stay: we had chartered the hotel owned boat to take us out to one of the nearby islands, but the owner decided to take the boat himself for lunch. They promised the boat would be back to pick us within 20 mins, but we waited for two and a half hours, cutting our trip to the island short. A bit of a service - or attitude - flaw detected here...

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank vienna-onthemove
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2011

I organized an academic workshop for 9 people here and was very, very pleased with the result. Conference room is air-conditioned and provides projector for PowerPoints. Food quality exceptional. Extremely helpful staff. Beautiful park-like grounds and setting right on the beach. Comfortable, clean rooms, with both fan and air conditioner. I am eager to go back and am glad we had the workshop here rather than in the noisy, dusty city.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank susan55102
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2011

Everytime I travel to Tanzania for business I stay at the Mediterraneo hotel. There is no better place for me to stay in Dar ! For about two years, I always return to this hotel and have never been disappointed in any way. Friends of mine I invited last year in December were also very charmed by this lovely hotel.

I really enjoy this hotel for its unique locaction at the ocean with an splendid seaside and amazing sunrise in the morning. You can see fishermen in the morning trying to catch some fish with their long nets. Taking a swim in their swimming pool in the morning at sunrise gives me the feeling to be in paradise!!
Their daily maintained garden is very beautiful with lots of flowers, trees and birds.

Breakfast with view on the Indian ocean (!) offers you all need including fresh pineapple or mango juice, hmmmm. The beachside restaurant has a very good qualitty of food with an Italian style. My best pizza ever eaten Dar is for sure in this restaurant. Anyway, I have never been disappointed about their quality of food whether it is fish, pasta or meat. Also their desserts are a must !

After a long business day or some time travelling inside the country, relaxing at their lounge with very nice background music (even some Paris Buddha-bar music !) feels too good and keeps me dreaming. The lounge also provides free wireless internet.
I also enjoy their party in open air succesfully organized each third Saturday of the month. Nice evening guaranteed and a good opportuniy to meet many people. I attended their New Year's eve last year which was a great success. The hotel also provided some firework at midnight.

The very clean rooms have all you need : A/C, satelite TV, bath, shower, ...Each room has in a way its own charming design and gives me the feeling to be at home. In case of electrical failure which happens regulary in Dar, the generator of the hotel keeps everything running.

The hotel offers a boat trip to some islands in front of the hotel. I strongly recommend to spend one day on one of the islands. At noon, fresh fish, prawns, calamari of even lobster catched in the morning are offered for lunch.

The hotel distinguishes itself to other chain hotels through its famaily character. I like the extremely friendliness of all staff and personnel. They are ready to help you anytime in case you have a problem or question. The owners of the hotel also do their upmost best to enjoy your stay and they also ready to help you and satisfy your needs.

Finally, I can only say that when you go to Dar, don't look further than Mediterraneo Hotel. I highly recommend this hotel to enjoy your stay in Tanzania. You certainly won't be disappointed !!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank franciseleplast
Gaborone, Botswana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

Based on Trip Advisor reviews, would really have liked to stay at this hotel. However, non-response to online reservation request, then inability to reach them by phone via the number on their website (three days in a row at different times) means i've had to give up. Maybe this place is wonderful, but its a right pain trying to contact them

Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Adam_in_Africa
Sandton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2010

I don’t usually write commentaries on hotels, etc. but yet again my stay at the Mediterraneo was excellent which has promoted this comment.

I have stayed in all the big hotels in Dar but I discovered the Mediterraneo through a friend who took me for a meal. I have stayed at the hotel since 2008 on my frequent business trips to Dar. This is not a 5 star, unfriendly hotel it is warm and friendly.

The welcome starts at the reception and this is followed through by attentive service throughout.

The hotel is right on the beach with wonderfully relaxing views over the sea. It is just the right place to relax after a busy day in Dar. It has a wonderful bar and sitting area which has been imaginatively designed using old dugout canoes. Don’t let my term old put you off.
It has the best Italian food in Dar, I’ve been to Italy many times and the Mediterraneo’s food puts many Italian restaurants in Italy to shame. I always go for the specials as the pasta is fresh; if you like crab go for the crab tagliolini accompanied by one of their Italian wines. As the restaurant is virtually on the beach the winds keep it cool but you can wear shorts and a T-shirt.

The rooms are comfortable and the aircons work backed by a good generator which is essential in Dar.

Try it you won’t be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business