“This is a great hotel and I would recommend it to anyone”

Mediterraneo Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Sandton
“This is a great hotel and I would recommend it to anyone”
Reviewed 4 October 2010

I don’t usually write commentaries on hotels, etc. but yet again my stay at the Mediterraneo was excellent which has promoted this comment.

I have stayed in all the big hotels in Dar but I discovered the Mediterraneo through a friend who took me for a meal. I have stayed at the hotel since 2008 on my frequent business trips to Dar. This is not a 5 star, unfriendly hotel it is warm and friendly.

The welcome starts at the reception and this is followed through by attentive service throughout.

The hotel is right on the beach with wonderfully relaxing views over the sea. It is just the right place to relax after a busy day in Dar. It has a wonderful bar and sitting area which has been imaginatively designed using old dugout canoes. Don’t let my term old put you off.
It has the best Italian food in Dar, I’ve been to Italy many times and the Mediterraneo’s food puts many Italian restaurants in Italy to shame. I always go for the specials as the pasta is fresh; if you like crab go for the crab tagliolini accompanied by one of their Italian wines. As the restaurant is virtually on the beach the winds keep it cool but you can wear shorts and a T-shirt.

The rooms are comfortable and the aircons work backed by a good generator which is essential in Dar.

Try it you won’t be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank AfricaBanker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 26 September 2010

I stayed at Mediterraneo for 7 nights during business travel, and it was the perfect place to relax after work every day! The grounds were beautiful - green garden, swimming pool, the most wonderful lounge area right next to the beach, nice restaurant and cosy rooms. I couldn't be happier!

The hotel was also very accomodating - I went away to Zanzibar for a few days, but I was still able to leave my suitcase at the hotel and just bring a small bag to Zanzibar. When I returned to Mediterraneo, I found my suitcase already placed in my new room. Nice service!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Mithrim
Chicago IL
Reviewed 24 September 2010

I didn't stay here, but came to eat.

Excellent Food.
Excellent pizza.
Excellent seating arrangements.
Excellent view.
Excellent Band.

Excellent.

If you are staying in the North Beaches of Dar, make sure you come here for dinner at least once. Not the cheapest, but worth it every schilling.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Crashlander
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 6 August 2010

...from any country you come from, and you want to feel at home or in "Alice Wonderland" and to feel a sound of Africa, you can go to Mediterraneo Hotel.
If you want to save our world that's the way to develop in the ecology respect and human way like the Mediterraneo family does.
Thanks for the wonderfull time and for what you do for the human rights!!

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank monica092
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 24 July 2010

This was a perfect place to spend our first day in Tanzania. It was so relaxing to sit by the Indian Ocean and enjoy the excellent service from the bar and the restaurant, whilst we recovered from the night flight from London! Our room was comfortable and quiet, and we had a good breakfast before starting our safari.
Tip: we left the hotel at about 8:00 and immediately joined a slow queue of traffic which meant that it took us about an hour to leave Dar. If you have a choice, it would be a good idea to leave the hotel earlier...or later!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2010

My wife and I, want you to know how pleased we are with the outstanding service given to us during our stay at your hotel.
The food was excellent, and the staff at the reception and in the restaurant were extremely friendly and accomodating.
We will strongly reccomend your place to couples that want to have a cosy weekend in Dar Es Salaam.
Thanks from Alexander & Maria

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 3 December 2009

the sea view wasnt want kind of sea view that i was expecting; from my bedroom window i could see the garden with some trees, the sea view was quite away and we paid an extra money for that so that we can see the seaview properly. The service was excellent, the lounge was right by the sea and that made the place soo relaxing with your food and drink.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple