“Perfect for price...”

Ranked #71 of 101 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect for price...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

Having read some of the reviews on this site, when a trusted agent booked me into this hotel, I was dreading the worst. There are indeed two sleep inn's: one on Mahiwa street ('kariakoo') and another (slightly more expensive) swish one ('city centre'). This one, Kariakoo, cost me 25,000/- Tsh to get to from the airport- price a little higher than usual apparently but it was evening when I arrived.

However, I was pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and a good size, the shower hot. I did not have another room connected to mine as some other reviews suggest. It is possible that there are two wings in the hotel, I stayed in a room on the side of numbers 'x01 -x12'.The staff were very polite and helpful, one even escorting me to a nearby supermarket when I explained I would not have time to grab lunch before my flight.

Dinner at their restaurant was good, a Tanzanian favourite of chicken & chips. Big portion helped! The breakfast consisted of fried potatoes, omelette, toast and tea/ coffee. Fruit and cereal on offer as well.

There was also free internet.

I did not have the experiences that some other reviewers seemed to have had. Possibly I was just lucky, but in general, the hotel really did seem good value for money and my stay was an entirely pleasant one. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Try get a room between numbers 'x01-x12' Make sure you know which sleep inn you are booke...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank iopo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Oslo, Norway
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

This hotel gave us a terrible start to our vacation in Tanzania. We arrived close to midnight after a long journey, and were surprised to see a taxi driver with a sign with our name on it (and the hotel logo). We had not ordered any transport, only asked what the price would be for such transport. At first we do then not want to go with him. He insists, and claims the price is 20 USD, and we will pay the hotel, not him. We also have him phone the hotel, but he does not get through. In the end, as it is past midnight we accept and he drives us to the hotel, which seem OK. The next morning however we going into the city and soon find ourselves completely lost. I had brought a map and could not find ourselves on it. That was because we had been sent to the WRONG Sleep in Hotel. They have two branches, but it seems even if you send an email through the website of the city centre one, you end up in Kariboo. When we return to the hotel around 2 o’clock they say that it is not a problem to change, so we pack our things and meet in the lobby. Then they say we have to pay for one more night there, since it is past 10 in the morning… Well, we do not want to pay twice for the same night, so we reluctantly go back to our room.
The next day we then (try to) check out. Then the bill has suddenly increased. They overcharge us for the taxiride, and when I refuse to pay, any more than the 20 USD + 2 nights rate they have a security guard get physical and grab the wrists of my girlfriends and take our luggage away. I ask them to call the taxi driver, which they simply refuse, neither am I allowed to talk to the manager. In the end I see no choice but to pay them want they want, just to get out of there. We had transport waiting and could not risk sitting in the lobby all day.
If a guy in the market manage to trick me into paying too much for something, I accept that. But a hotel who seem to do whatever they can to get extra money from me, that is not acceptable.

Room Tip: Know which hotel you are being sent to... City centre or outskirts...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Dar es Salaam hotels

Milan, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

Very friendly staff, can arrange all your request. Acceptably clean and quiet, it can offer you a comfortable accommodation not far from the centre of Dar Es Salaam. Only Bed and Breakfast is offered, but you have a number of grill restaurants in the streets round corner. I suggest this hotel for your business (short) trips as well, if you look for a cost-effective and good quality price solution, and you are not very demanding.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
istanbul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2011

I stayed at Sleep Inn Hotel for 3 days last week...the staff was very helpful and friendly..location of the hotel was good...and what is more you pay 50 dollars for singles and 60 for doubles and get a 5-star hotel quality. my friends stayed at a hostel in the same area paying 20 dollars each and in return they get a basic room..I highly recommend sleep inn especially if youre travelling couples..

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

well i was there in june 02 2011 in city center new sleepinn which is really good and you must visit it nice room like 4 star hotel and they offer 50$ starting pice and bank,police station ,hospital etc etc in 3mins walk and is opposite the hotel in jamhuri street city centre ... they have the main hotel called sleepinn hotel which is in lumumba road which is for budget people we went there a well to spend a last night and it was really good if you want to stay for big fish market etc etc keep it up

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Cologne, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2011

This hotel is primarily used by Tanzanian and Indian business travellers. Run by Indians, it is like any cheap Indian business traveller hotel, which means decorations and furniture that Westerns would simply consider "poor taste" or kitsch at its best. The bright fluorescent tube illumination of the breakfast area, lobby etc. makes you feel like being in a warehouse. Expect a merely functional place without any atmosphere.

The hotel has two wings, called "the old wing" and "the new wing". Should you consider staying at Sleep Inn, always ask for the "New Wing" as the installations are newer and wireless internet is working (whereas in the old wing it isn't).

In Dar-es-Salaam in general, hotels are overpriced and so is the Sleep Inn Hotel. If you compare to hotels which are of backpacker standard at around half the Sleep Inn's rate (such as Econolodge or Jambo Inn), Sleep Inn is maybe cleaner and the furniture is newer (at least at the new wing) and you get wireless internet, but in terms of the rather rude staff and poor breakfast there is no major difference. I had the feeling that the staff thinks that if a Westerner stays at their hotel (and not at the Movenpick or other luxury hotels), he or she must be really poor (for Western standards) and therefore doesn't deserve to get a smile or nice treatment from them.

If you stay in the old wing (same room rate), I think there is no difference to backpacker category of hotels at all.

The hotel is not good at all for what you pay, but I haven't found any other option in Dar-es-Salaam so far which is not a dirty backpacker hostel or a much more expensive hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2011

this is a new hotel opened in march 2011,this sleep inn is in city centre very close to all shops ,the prices start at $50 per night.,The staff are very friendly,and the rooms are like
4 star hotels, The breakfast is only thing letting this hotel down.You are allowed only 2 eggs for breakfast and you can only have whatever juice they put out for the morning.
everything is walking distance.
would recommend this hotel to friends

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family