Kipepeo Beach Village
US$224
US$335
US$122
US$119
Sea Cliff Hotel(Dar es Salaam)
US$360
Agoda.com
US$161
US$133
Hotels.com
New Africa Hotel(Dar es Salaam)
US$179
US$127
Agoda.com
Tanzanite Executive Suites(Dar es Salaam)
US$268
US$95
  • Breakfast included
All reviewson stiltscamping arealocal stylerelaxed beachsea breezeserves tastyraised platformheavy luggagegreat place to chillfelt securearmed guardsoverland tripperfect beachrelaxing staynice balconymafia islandcold beer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I just finished a safari in Dar es Salaam and our last stop was here. I stayed in a Beach Banda and at high tide the water came as close as 10m. The showers and toilets could be better maintained but are kept clean. The staff is friendly. The waiters are a bit slow and even forgot my order. The food is good and the beer cold. A good place by the ocean.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Nice huts with balcony. good service and friendly staff!the prices for food and accomadation are relatively high but it is a great place to stay if you want to relax. Beautiful beach. The restaurant is ok but there is also a fantastic small restaurant on the road to the next town (Kigamboni). The owner is very friendly and can make a fabulous dinner! If you should want to eat there it is advisable to come by before to let her know want you want to eat for dinner and you should bring quite a lot of time but it is definately worth the wait (you can also call her under: 0718284283 or 0781382383 Mrs Dorcas Lemi) we ate there 2 (The chicken or beef barbecue with grilled banana is great!)
We stayed for 4 nights at kipepeo and really enjoyed it. There is a safe at reception where you can lock your valuables and also quite a lot of securities so it is safe. Bring your own lock for the safe otherwise you have to buy one for 5 Dollars. Can really recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Janika1989
Reviewed 26 June 2013

The staff in the reception were nice and helpful. Just remember that you need to bring your own padlock, or buy one for 5 USD in the reception, in case you want to lock your valuables in the reception.
Rooms were clean, no mosquitos even though they easily can come trough the window and doors. No fan or AC, but we didn't need it since there was a nice breeze all night.
The beach is nice, but no sunbeds!

So, the restaurant. Don't know what to say. The first night, it was okey. The food was good, we both ordered fish and steak. A lot of vegetables, good sauce.

The second night, we had to wait 15 minutes just to get the menus, even though the staff saw us coming and sitting down. We actually had to ask for the menus. I ordered the steak, because it looked so good the night before, and I wanted it to be medium cooked. I got the steak, it was very overcooked and grey. No vegetables, and the peppersauce was definetly not peppersauce. When I asked the waiter why I didn't get any vegetables when we got it last night and the menu also says that the dishes comes with vegetables, he said that it was because they were so busy. So, busy means no vegetables for the paying customers.
When we were done eating we had to wait forever just to get the bill so we could sign. The restaurantstaff spoke very poorly english, so it was hard to communicate with them.

On sunday, the restaurant practices selfservice for lunch.

So, the rooms are nice, the restaurant not so much.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kristin L
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I fell in love with the place the moment I stepped inside the camp site. It has facilities for camping as well as beach huts.The eco hut was basic and rustically designed, but right on the beach and simply lovely and quite comfortable.The showers and toilets were also quite basic but spotlessly clean. The bar was well stocked, the bartenders were good and the food fresh,good and quite cheap. Staff were friendly and helpful and made my stay a most memorable one.Mosquitoes were a bother but rooms were provided with nets. Wifi is free and available only in public areas. Evenings on the open beach bar are simply fantastic..and its very close to the ferry point for Zanzibar shuttle..Love this place,..Will come back again.

Room Tip: Choose the huts facing the sea.
Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Summary:
1) They advertised and told me one rate; once I arrived they tried to charge another.
2) Security is poor compared to other similar places. Too easy to get robbed.
3) Terrible customer service.
4) Location and chalets are "ok".

**********Details****************

After reading trip adviser reviews, my wife and I thought we'd give Kipepeo a shot. We went to their website and saw the room rates, and called Kipepeo to confirm the rates and make a reservation. Upon arrival later that week, the receptionist told us that the rate on their website was wrong and that they wanted to charge us a higher rate.

When I talked to the manager about it, he lectured that I should have asked for the rate in an email instead of by phone, even though I had the web page printed out.

The silly part is that this discussion was over $11 difference, which isn't a big deal, but like I said, it was there on their website and I confirmed the rate by phone just days earlier with my reservation. I asked them whether it was really worth treating a customer like this over a small amount. The manager just told me that when you travel, things can change.

I suggested a compromise, splitting the difference since the website is obviously wrong. He told me to put my belongings in the room, but still hadn't agreed with me.

Well, as we walked over to check out the beach chalets, we were told by another staff member that we may not get breakfast now if the rate was changed. She also warned us to keep our valuables with us at all times. "Take your camera with you to the beach, don't leave it in the room." She said that they have safety boxes at the reception desk, but that they don't come with pad locks. "You can buy a pad lock from us for $5 US."

The beach chalet wasn't bad. The bed had a mosquito net. It reminded me a little of a small Swiss Family Robinson's home. We couldn't see the ocean from the top balcony as hoped. The view wasn't really that good. We were told that to get hot water, we'd need to flip a switch and wait 15 minutes. We didn't stay long enough to find out for sure.

The beach was respectable. Not pristine, but not filthy either. There were plenty of people coming up to me trying to sell things when I was checking the beach out. It would not be a safe place at all to keep valuables as suggested by the staff member.

Given the very poor customer service right from the beginning and the lack of reasonable security compared to other places in Tanzania, we decided Kipepeo didn't deserve our business.

Also, it is true what others have written about the two beach resorts on both sides of Kipepeo, they really do blast their music. We stopped by the Sunset Beach resort next door and were told they didn't turn off their music until 2am. No exaggeration.

We've lived in Tanzania for 2 years now, and this was the worst place we've been.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple