“Very weird place, noisy and to much prostitution in the Bar”

Q-Bar & Guest House
Ranked #61 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Chile
“Very weird place, noisy and to much prostitution in the Bar”
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I was in the Q Guest House two days, Sunday and Monday and the music was very hi until the 2 in the morning. The rooms where ok to me, but the worst was the bar full of young ladies sinting over old men, a lot of weird men, soldiers, etc... a really weird place famous in Dar for the prostitution.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
11 Thank Pilar V
Q-Bar, Manager at Q-Bar & Guest House, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad you liked the rooms. There was a navy ship in town and our night managers decided to play music to please the crowd, this was obviously not the best decision. We are sorry the music kept you awake and hope you will come back again one day to see what it is normally like.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Korean first
Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
Reviewed 9 November 2012

I had never stayed at the Q-Bar, but several times in the last few years I've had beers and dinner at their bar. I enjoyed those times, and had good feelings towards the place. I had read a lot of bad reviews on Trip Advisor, which I thought was a shame, as most of the bad reviews seemed to be from people who weren't expecting the noise from downstairs on Thursday/Friday. Therefore, when I checked in on a Friday night I requested the Luxury Room ($55 USD) up on the Third Floor. I thought I was in for a treat--it looked like a nice room, well worth the money by Dar standards. However, the AC was broken.

This is where the Q-Bar lost me...after informing the staff, I was shown two other rooms, one for $70 and the other for $50. The $50 room was on the first floor right over the bar, so I knew that wouldn't work for me. The $70 room was just more than I wanted to pay--it was a family sized room with a large bed and a crib. I asked the staff if I could stay in the family room for $55, but they told me it was impossible. Then they asked me to wait for 20 minutes...I told them I'd wait in the bar. I bought myself a beer (not even water or soda was offered, which surprised me), and settled down to wait. Eventually, I was told the AC was fixed. I hauled myself (and my bags; no assistance was offered with my bags, which surprised me again) back up to the Fourth floor. But unfortunately...the AC was still out. So, I went elsewhere.

I really wanted to like the Q-Bar, but they really wasted my entire afternoon. I'm kind of surprised they didn't offer me the better room for the price I was willing to pay. I guess their business is good enough that they are sure to get people in to the room on Friday. However, If they had given me the room they'd only be out $15 and I'd probably be here writing a glowing review, rather than a negative one. I'd also be ready to tell my friends in the region to come to the Q-Bar instead of advising them against it.

I suppose the manager will respond to my post, as he or she has to all the negative posts...but its a shame the two of us couldn't have talked while I was at the hotel. Oh, well.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank J_Ro_Zinj
Q-Bar, Manager at Q-Bar & Guest House, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Hi,
We are very glad that you have enjoyed coming to us to eat and drink over the last few years but I am sincerely sorry that your room stay did not work out. I am very surprised that they did not offer you another room if there was a problem with the AC. The Q-Bar staff are always very helpful and I am shocked they did not even help you with your bags.
I wish you could have asked for me so I could have solved the issue for you. I hope that you will manage to come again and please ask for me.
Williston Park, New York
Reviewed 27 September 2012

My husband and I wanted to enjoy a small bit of luxury after spending a few days in center of Dar es Salaam. The Q Bar did not fit the bill and was a total disappointment ( especially compared to the Econolodge we had just came from). The rooms were spacious, but dingy, and the beds were soft and uncomfortable. The shower had a trickle for water pressure and the Wi-Fi did not work. The service was poor, as we asked for help with our in room safe, but never received the assistance promised. Also the service in the over priced restaurant was slow and our dinners were served cold.

I will say, though , that they did our laundry in one day turn around time, instead of the two days they advertise.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Melissa D
Q-Bar, Manager at Q-Bar & Guest House, responded to this review, 19 October 2012
Dear Melisa D,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We are sorry to see you did not enjoy your stay. We can see you opted for the Budget room with a shared bathroom. It is a good option if you are on a Budget. We have never had any complaints about the beds before and although the room is quite basic it has Tv, Refrigerator, a Balcony and a Safe. If you informed someone that the safe was locked and they did not come and assist you I can only give our sincere apologies.
We have a pressure pump so unless there was a power cut when you showered it should have been very strong. The internet is not as fast and reliable as in most parts of the world but it is generally fast enough to stream videos .
The price range in the restaurant is average to low for this area but may be expensive compared to budget restaurants in town. We are sorry you did not enjoy your dinner and that you experienced slow service. It is a very popular restaurant and is busy on most nights of the week. The chef Willex is well known in Dar es Salaam for his food and he asked me to personally send his apologies, he hopes you will come back to try again.
We are always happy to get feedback, good or bad, as it gives us a chance to improve. We would be happy to hear more from you if you have time. info@qbardar.com
Lymm, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed here at the beginning and the end of our Tanzanian holiday. The rooms are definitely of the budget variety but are very clean and spacious with the most comfortable beds. We had a delux double room which included air conditioning, a fridge and a TV.

The big down side (If you want to sleep between 9pm and 1:30am at weekends) is the noise from the bar downstairs. On our first night we arrived after travelling for almost 24 hours with aeroplane sleep only. We went to bed very early to be woken up with a very loud cheesy disco which we weren't warned about at all.

The next night there was no music at all as it was a Monday night which was nice but the night at the end of a trip (Saturday) there was a live band on. This time we decided to join the party downstairs. The band were excellent and the crowd a mix of locals, ex pats and travellers. We thoroughly enjoyed the evening.

Breakfast is included with the price and is very good. The staff cook you pretty much whatever you want on top of endless coffee, tea, cereals, fruit and toast.

Would definitely stay again but one to avoid if you want an early night.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank trick110
Hi,
Thank you for your review of Q-Bar. We have a band on Thursday's who are very popular and they play til 1230am, there are rooms at the top/back which are more quiet for those days when you do not want to join. Friday and Saturday goes on til 1am but we encourage the musicians to keep it as low as possible.
The breakfast is very good, they take well care of all the guests. We are very glad you had a great stay and hope you will come back again.
Zaumberg, Germany
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Stayed there 5 days. they have live-bands thursday and friday, music on saturday and sunday. music until about 1-1.30 am, afterwards it is calm. while the music is on it is kind of loud even in the rooms, but not intolerable loud. and after all, who wants to go to bed so early in vacation?

the breakfast is reallly great for a budget place.
i had a room 60$ per night, good aircondition, spacious, clean, good quality bed, ...everything fine. really great the free laundry service...
they do have wireless internet, but when i was there it was incredibly slow.

i read the reviews about prostitutes...none of the complaints is true. there are surely some working girls, but they are all very decent, not aggressive like in other countries.
there is a balcony on the first floor and it seems none of the women is allowed up there, so there is a quiet retreat for everyone who doesnt want female company

Room Tip: rooms not facing the terrasse are calmer
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
8 Thank vanderlain
Q-Bar, Manager at Q-Bar & Guest House, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
First of all thank you for taking the time to write a review. We do have live music on most Thursday, Friday, and Saturday"s but never on a Sunday.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you come back again soon.
Torino
Reviewed 3 June 2012

The Q-Bar is an hotel on top on a Bar which play music everyday until 2 AM, very noisy! Not working internet. But more than that, when I left, they stole to me 30 USD which their "game" on exchange rate.
Highly not recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Andrea B
Andrea B,
We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. The internet is usually very good but it does happen sometimes that it can be off from the main service provider. We have live music on Thursday, Friday and Saturday's but it ends by 1am and the musicians are encouraged to keep the volume low.
Our exchange rates are changed regularly and the most you could loose compared to the market is $2-3. We would appreciate if you could email us with all the information so we can refund you if some mistake was made in the reception. info@qbardar.com
We always advice our guests to please ask for the manager if there is anything we can do to help you.
Kigali, Rwanda
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stayed in a standard double room (nr 14) which was very big and with ensuite. Although the rooms are a bit run-down they are well-kept. The live music on Friday did not bother us at all, however the club/bar behind Q-bar did keep us awake on saturdaynight (untill 6 in the morning there was loud music). Some earplugs might come in handy. Only thing missing in the room was a musquito net.
The breakfast is one the best! Fresh fruit, eggs any style, bacon, cornflakes, muesli, milk (hot/cold), juice, tea, etc. All included in the price ($60)!! It isn't very close to the city centre but a tuktuk can take you there in 10-15 minutes. I would say it is value for money as there are not many hotels in this price category in Dar.

Room Tip: Have a look around, if there is live music take a room on one the top floor in the back.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank janbien
Q-Bar, Manager at Q-Bar & Guest House, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Janbien,
We are glad you had a good stay and enjoyed the breakfast, the breakfast chef's take great care of all the guests.
The night club behind is quite loud on the weekends but they say that they are working on their sound proofing.
We decided not to put mosquito nets in the rooms but rather do environmental fumigation on a regular basis, the room is also sprayed everyday. We have found that this works well but we also have mosquito nets in the store for those people who still want it.