“Quite noisy on Saturday nights”

Q-Bar & Guest House
Ranked #64 of 97 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Unfortunately we chose to stay in Q-bar on a Saturday night. The rooms are comfortable and although our airconditioning and toilet were not working they did offer us a change of room. The food was good to for a reasonable price. The main reason for the poor review was the noise level. You are right above the bar and although I have a reasonable tolerance for sleeping through background noise and music it was impossible to sleep. The music was so loud that our door and bed were vibrating. Most of the guests checked out the morning after due to lack of sleep. The guy on reception was very apologetic but the manager did not really seem that fussed. He gave us five dollars off our 60dollar room but I think it will continue to be the same at the weekends. I'm sure it would be better during the week.

Room Tip: You could try getting a room away from the bar but I think it would still be noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Q-Bar, Owner at Q-Bar & Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Thank you for your review.

I am glad you were comfortable in the room and enjoyed the food. It is always great to hear when the receptionist has done a good job and made sure you got a room you were happy with. I am very sorry that you did not have a similar experience with the manager.
I am not sure about your experience from the Saturday DJ, you can definitely hear the music but it sounds like it was extremely loud from your description. He is not supposed to be playing very loud and should stop by 1am.
I hope you will be able to come back and try staying with us again.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

I've stayed in Q-Bar a number of times for work and while the other reviewers comments about the music and the bar are true, I've never experienced any problems, and know that on weekends especially there is going to be music and noise in the bar.

That kind of reputation can be intimidating for a woman staying solo but in fact the staff have always been helpful and friendly, and the separate upstairs restaurant area means you can get away from the main bar if you want to.

The food is good and quick and amazingly the only thing that has disturbed my sleep there is the dogs next door.

There is a shortage of good mid-range hotels in Dar and Q-Bar is reasonably priced and in a good location for the peninsular and down-town. The rooms have always been clean and the breakfast is very good.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Q-Bar, Manager at Q-Bar & Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Thank you so much for your review.

We are very happy that you have enjoyed all your stays with us. We have started upgrading the rooms with flat screen Tv's, new full size mosquito nets, and of course bedding and towels. We hope you will be back with us soon again.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

I had to find some where central to crash for 1 night and this wasn't a bad choice.
A loud boer-ish bar packed with heavy drinking rugby watchers, high density of predatory prostitutes.
Saying that it is what it is, a decent choice for lone guy stuck in Dar for the night. Beer, dinner and lady of the night, if that's your thing!
Rooms were basic, clean and good value. You would need to be pretty drunk to sleep before the bar closes.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank kris_mzungu

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

The bar and restaurant has a very mixed crowd but perhaps South Africa was playing when you were there. They do tend to be the most passionate of the supporters. We do have Live Bands on Thursday's and Friday's and a resident DJ on Saturday's. Even with the double glazing windows we put in you can still here some of the music, the music stops at 1am.
We also have couples and families staying here. There is an upstairs balcony as well as the Breakfast area where hotel residents can eat and socialise.
We have made a few changes both in the bar, events and hotel rooms. We hope you will be able to come back again to experience them.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

We were here on a saturday night, and as suggested by the other reviews the noise from the disco at the bar was quite loud. We had a budget room at the back of the building (no 11) and we could hear the bass line, although it didn't stop us sleeping after a few beers.

The room was fine but basic (which is why we didn't consider it was worth the price) and the shared shower didn't work when we tried to use it. Breakfast was good and the cook was lovely!

The bar itself was pretty sleazy on a Saturday night with a fair few young lady/older man couples, but given the lack of options in Dar it serves cold beer at a not too inflated price (3500tsh).

Our taxi from the airport cost 35,000tsh

• Stayed: March 2013
Q-Bar, Manager at Q-Bar & Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Thank you for your review.

We agree that the Budget room is quite basic, it has AC, Tv, Refrigerator, Safe and a desk, but could probably do with some paintings. We thank you for your suggestion and will rectify it immediately. We are not sure why the shower did not work for you, I wish you would have informed us so we could have fixed it or shown you where there is another shower.

We will let the Breakfast cook know that you enjoyed her Breakfast.

Reviewed 12 February 2013

I was in the Q Guest House two days, Sunday and Monday and the music was very hi until the 2 in the morning. The rooms where ok to me, but the worst was the bar full of young ladies sinting over old men, a lot of weird men, soldiers, etc... a really weird place famous in Dar for the prostitution.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
13  Thank Pilar V

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad you liked the rooms. There was a navy ship in town and our night managers decided to play music to please the crowd, this was obviously not the best decision. We are sorry the music kept you awake and hope you will come back again one day to see what it is normally like.

Reviewed 9 November 2012

I had never stayed at the Q-Bar, but several times in the last few years I've had beers and dinner at their bar. I enjoyed those times, and had good feelings towards the place. I had read a lot of bad reviews on Trip Advisor, which I thought was a shame, as most of the bad reviews seemed to be from people who weren't expecting the noise from downstairs on Thursday/Friday. Therefore, when I checked in on a Friday night I requested the Luxury Room ($55 USD) up on the Third Floor. I thought I was in for a treat--it looked like a nice room, well worth the money by Dar standards. However, the AC was broken.

This is where the Q-Bar lost me...after informing the staff, I was shown two other rooms, one for $70 and the other for $50. The $50 room was on the first floor right over the bar, so I knew that wouldn't work for me. The $70 room was just more than I wanted to pay--it was a family sized room with a large bed and a crib. I asked the staff if I could stay in the family room for $55, but they told me it was impossible. Then they asked me to wait for 20 minutes...I told them I'd wait in the bar. I bought myself a beer (not even water or soda was offered, which surprised me), and settled down to wait. Eventually, I was told the AC was fixed. I hauled myself (and my bags; no assistance was offered with my bags, which surprised me again) back up to the Fourth floor. But unfortunately...the AC was still out. So, I went elsewhere.

I really wanted to like the Q-Bar, but they really wasted my entire afternoon. I'm kind of surprised they didn't offer me the better room for the price I was willing to pay. I guess their business is good enough that they are sure to get people in to the room on Friday. However, If they had given me the room they'd only be out $15 and I'd probably be here writing a glowing review, rather than a negative one. I'd also be ready to tell my friends in the region to come to the Q-Bar instead of advising them against it.

I suppose the manager will respond to my post, as he or she has to all the negative posts...but its a shame the two of us couldn't have talked while I was at the hotel. Oh, well.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank J_Ro_Zinj
Q-Bar, Manager at Q-Bar & Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Hi,
We are very glad that you have enjoyed coming to us to eat and drink over the last few years but I am sincerely sorry that your room stay did not work out. I am very surprised that they did not offer you another room if there was a problem with the AC. The Q-Bar staff are always very helpful and I am shocked they did not even help you with your bags.
I wish you could have asked for me so I could have solved the issue for you. I hope that you will manage to come again and please ask for me.

Reviewed 27 September 2012

My husband and I wanted to enjoy a small bit of luxury after spending a few days in center of Dar es Salaam. The Q Bar did not fit the bill and was a total disappointment ( especially compared to the Econolodge we had just came from). The rooms were spacious, but dingy, and the beds were soft and uncomfortable. The shower had a trickle for water pressure and the Wi-Fi did not work. The service was poor, as we asked for help with our in room safe, but never received the assistance promised. Also the service in the over priced restaurant was slow and our dinners were served cold.

I will say, though , that they did our laundry in one day turn around time, instead of the two days they advertise.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Melissa D
Q-Bar, Manager at Q-Bar & Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2012

Dear Melisa D,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We are sorry to see you did not enjoy your stay. We can see you opted for the Budget room with a shared bathroom. It is a good option if you are on a Budget. We have never had any complaints about the beds before and although the room is quite basic it has Tv, Refrigerator, a Balcony and a Safe. If you informed someone that the safe was locked and they did not come and assist you I can only give our sincere apologies.
We have a pressure pump so unless there was a power cut when you showered it should have been very strong. The internet is not as fast and reliable as in most parts of the world but it is generally fast enough to stream videos .
The price range in the restaurant is average to low for this area but may be expensive compared to budget restaurants in town. We are sorry you did not enjoy your dinner and that you experienced slow service. It is a very popular restaurant and is busy on most nights of the week. The chef Willex is well known in Dar es Salaam for his food and he asked me to personally send his apologies, he hopes you will come back to try again.
We are always happy to get feedback, good or bad, as it gives us a chance to improve. We would be happy to hear more from you if you have time. info@qbardar.com