Babylon Lodge
Kilimanjaro Mountain Resort(Kilimanjaro National Park)
US$270
Jumia Travel
  • Breakfast included
Hedaru Palace Hotel(Kilimanjaro National Park)
TripAdvisor
Myombo Lodge(Kilimanjaro National Park)
Jumia Travel
All reviewsday hikeamazing servicerooms are cleanhis teambeautiful gardenfood was greatfriendly and helpful staffexcellent valuehidden gembobbymarangulodgetanzaniakilimanjarotransportcompanymidst
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

The staff here are very friendly and very competent. My friends and I spend 2 nights her recently before and after climbing kili. The atmosphere is great here, food and drink is good, rooms are clean. The beds are very comfortable. The food was a bit slow to arrive after ordering but that is ok as there is a lovely garden to sit in and have a few beers while waiting for food anyway. There was limited hot water. Overall this is a fantastic place to stay. Ill come back if I'm ever in the area again. It is locally owned and run - it is important to support locally owned businesses. Top marks.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dustytimon
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Babylon Lodge is a superb budget hotel/lodge in Marangu, very close to Kilimanjaro National Park. Our flight was delayed but they still picked us up from the airport OK and brought us here. The rooms are clean and the beds very comfortable. The food is great. We had a day trip up the mountain to the first camp and Maundi Crater - a tough walk if you're not in shape, but not at all technically difficult; and another one day trip - a cultural walk around the Chagga village: both were excellent. The wifi and electricity can be a bit intermittent but hey, this is Africa not London or LA! I highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a great value, friendly, comfortable, full service lodge

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I spent a couple of days before my climb up Kilimanjaro along the Machame route and few more recovering afterwards. I firstly needed to change a couple of dates before my climb which was easily accommodated by Bobby the manager. The communication before my climb was terrific and it made sure any anxiety I had before the trip was under control.

When I arrived I was graciously received and shown around the Lodge and greeted by each and every staff member we passed. I had previously spent 9-10 weeks travelling from South Africa up to Rwanda and spent time at various hotels/motels and camp sites along the way. This was definitely one of the better run facilities with many personal touches.

I was travelling solo and so my interactions with the crew was much more personal such as Bobby taking me to a number of sights including one night out before I left to return home. I also spent time with another great guy by the name of Eddie who helped me learn some Swahili, along with the rest of staff members which were more than willing to teach me also.

I was also quite unorganised with my flight plans out of Kilimanjaro and needed help whilst climbing the mountain to organise my flights out. Unbelievably Bobby bought my tickets and I paid him back when I got back down from the climb some few days later. The tickets weren't cheap to say the least and I found this generosity quite unique for anywhere in the world. I would definitely not suggest this is normal procedure but was definitely appreciated. This speaks a lot for the way in which this place accommodates each and every guest.

I would recommend this Lodge for anyone staying around Kilimanjaro before their climb.

All the crew there went out of their ways on different occasions to make my stay more comfortable and enjoyable. I had an early flight out at the end of my stay and had three people greet me at around 4 am or something ridiculous like that in the foyer/reception area. They were all professional and cheerful so even on my departure at 4 am for a drive to the airport my expectations kept being exceeded.

For my entire stay in Africa I would say it was the most outstanding in terms of service, cleanliness and friendliness of the staff.

Thanks to everyone in Babylon Lodge and all the best for the future!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Hi
I Can give my Best recomandation for this Hotel. The staff is extremely helpsome and every one do there allmost to make the stay for you to a outstanding experience. The hotel arranged our hike to Kilimanjaro. This was also done in a very Safe and professional Way. Have a Nice stay there....I will come back, if I go to Tanzania again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anders C
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I should have known not to expect too much at this price! The good things first; the garden is just amazing - like a garden of Eden. Then the critic; The rooms are terrible, mostly because they are so dark you cant see anything and it get claustrophobic to stay in the room, even at daytime. The place is dirty and I suspect them to just wrap the napkins again without washing them. But an evening around the fireplace was nice and we met many young travelers who liked the place. WiFi did not work and you could not pay by card. We had a nice walk alone up the road from the Lodge and met many nice and friendly local people. The Lodge arranged a day hike to the first Base Camp and we enjoyed that walk a lot, even if it was tough walking up and up. If you are senior travelers with some expectations, avoid this place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bobby L, Manager at Babylon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

Thank you for your review. Babylon Lodge is a beautiful Budget hotel on the slopes of Mt. Kilimanjaro. For any guests who is looking for budget but good services then this is the place to be. But for someone who is looking for five star hotel service then it might be hard to meet the standards. Our rooms are basic and we keep them neat and clean. All our cleints enjoy the lodge because of its charm and its services. We have always marketed ourselves as a beautiful budget hotel and if a guest come with that mindset then Babylon Lodge would be one of the best places you would have stayed. We offer value for money and our prices are affordable. We always offer clean napkins at our dinning the food is always tasty. The wi-fi was new at the time of your arrival and we had informed the guests that they are still working on it. It is now working well and all our future guests can enjoy this free service. I am glad you indicated that you found other travellers who liked the place! For a budget hotel we offer quality and affordable services and all our clients are always happy with this.Babylon Lodge is always growing to meet our customers needs and we will make sure we meet your standards in the future. I am also glad you enjoyed the walks that we organize and we will continue to improve to meet the expectations of our future guests.