“Awesome trip - climb Kili with Diamond Glacier Adventures”
Review of Mount Kilimanjaro

Mount Kilimanjaro
Book In Advance
US$420.00*
Mount Kilimanjaro Short Trek from Arusha
US$350.00*
and up
Amboseli national park day tour from Nairobi
US$362.00*
Day Trip to Amboseli National Park from Nairobi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I was in Tanzania last month and have wanted to climb Kili for a long time, a couple friends had climbed with Demi before and he came highly recommended, want to pass it on as I had a really great experience with him. Demi is from a village at the base of Kili, he started his own company with his brother and they are based in Arusha, he hires porters and cooks that he knows well and has worked with in this past, which made for a great dynamic and an incredibly supportive team. It wasn't intentional but I really liked being able to support a small/local guiding company as well, plus they offered a very reasonable price. Demi is the kind of person that inspires a lot of respect and confidence off the bat, he's incredibly kind and patient and is flexible and perceptive enough to tailor each trip to his climbers and anticipate their needs (for ex. he somehow knew I'd be underprepared for the weather on summit day and had extra gear stashed for me..), can't say enough good things about him! If you have any questions I'd be happy to serve as a reference, just get in touch with Diamond Glacier Adventures via their website and they can give you my email.

6  Thank Katie S

Reviewed 26 April 2012

I did an unforgettable 6 days climbing of Mount Kilimanjaro in March 2012 up the Marangu Route. The scenery is really breathtaking. The climbing was at times quite tough, especially the last climbing up to Gillman's Point, but watching the sunrise from the top is truly an experience of a lifetime. I am very glad that I did have one day of acclimatisation at the Horombo Huts, which helped a lot before attacking the last part of the mountain.The main thing is to go slowly, even at lower altitudes in order to save the necessary energy for the final climbing.

I wholeheartedly give my very best recommendations to my tour operator Aardvark Expeditions. Aardvark gave me excellent service both before going to Tanzania (also after having paid the whole amount by online banking) and after arrival.The owner Philemon Joel Laizer did an excellent job organising the climbing of Kilimanjaro as well as a safari on a very short notice. He and his staff are very friendly, professional and service minded. Even at high altitudes I got served excellent food by their cook. Aardvark is a local Arusha based tour operator, and also locally owned. Their prices are very competitive compared to other operators that I received offers from.

After climbing Kilimanjaro Aardvark organised a brilliant safari for me in Serengeti and Ngorongoro, also with excellent service, very nice lodges and a very professional and friendly guide, and all at a very good price.

Oyvind Hernes, Norway

5  Thank Oyvind H
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Best experience in my life so far! Climbing this route was amazing, many beautiful views, good organization from the company during the trip and crazy weather. We booked our trip only one week before in April 2012 and company managed to organize everything very fast. We didn't have any equipment with us so we needed to rent everything. Of course it wasn't as comfortable as using your own equipment but I was surprised how good the quality was. Machame route wasn't very hard until the summit. Summit was the hardest, can say that all the days before were just like a game to compare to the 6,5h walk up the hill in snowstorm during the night. But arriving to the top and seeing amazing views was worth the effort and money! I definitely suggest everybody to go and try it out but raining season is probably not the best time when to visit Kilimanjaro even though we had some sunny days as well.

6  Thank Liina L
Reviewed 26 April 2012

This is part of the review of Tanzania I've posted, and Kilimanjaro was something we wanted to do, but the weather in March meant could cover on the peaks, so not great views, and the hike to the base camp was not wasy, but we are in our late 50's. We made it, but were disappointed because of cloud cover, that apparently is usual at that time of year - our ignorance and lack of research.

7  Thank chiltern19
Reviewed 23 April 2012

March 2012.
We booked our holiday to climb Mt Kilimanjaro with Tanzania Journeys. There were just 2 of us but we got a great deal on the price.
The trip was planned really well from our transfer to Moshi, the overnight stay at Bristol cottages and the climb itself.
Food was amazing and plenty of it. Definately miss the ginger tea every morning before breakfast.
Equipment supplied was all high quality including the tents and sleeping mattresses.
Our guides Rachid and Ali really looked after us and I would recommend them any day. The whole team of porters were all in high spirits and we had a great laugh with them. I definately felt that Tanzania journeys looks after their staff very well.

Over all, great holiday, great company to travel with and definately recommend the 2 guides Rachid and Ali if planning to climb Kili as they were fantastic.

4  Thank Asililife