“Excellent climb via Rongai route with Ahsante Tours”
Review of Mount Kilimanjaro

Mount Kilimanjaro
Book In Advance
US$450.00*
Mount Kilimanjaro Short Trek from Arusha
US$250.00*
and up
Amboseli national park day tour from Nairobi
US$362.00*
Day Trip to Amboseli National Park from Nairobi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 6 May 2014

In January 2014, we three, a group of two adults and one teenager, started our climb up Kilimanjaro with Ahsante Tours. We chose Ahsante because it is a local Tanzanian company that employs Tanzanians. They treat their porters and guides quite well and they have excellent client service. As we three climbed Kilimanjaro, Ahsante also organized a wonderful tour for my husband's elderly parents (both in their 70s) and our 12 yr old. The staff at Ahsante, especially Susan, were exceptional in providing information, guidance and suggestions. Susan even went to the hospital with some of our group when one person needed medical attention. They were very organized and responded quickly to our queries and needs. Our guides on the mountain, Michael and Ricki were also excellent in helping us navigate up the mountain. The porters and Uncle Ray (the camp manager) made sure all of our needs were attended to while on our hike. Two of us made it to Gilman's point and one to Uhuru. We were pleased with our hike. Thank you to all of the porters, staff, guides and others at Ahsante that made our trip possible. We will always remember the wonderful people at Ahsante. As they say "maximum respect". We tip our hats to you folks at Ahsante, such professionals in getting to the summit of Africa's highest peak!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,126)

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We had a great summit on Kilimanjaro! Thanks to the team at Kilipaa Tours for making this a great trip. Rayson, our guide, was the best. Very helpful and went out of his way to make our summit one to remember.

1  Thank DzinDNAcom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Which tour company to use? My daughter and I chose Climb Kili and I would unreservedly recommend them. Our guides were Seraphine August and Joachim who were always attentive, supportive and helpful as were the rest of the Climb Kili team in Arusha and on the mountain.

We followed up with a Climb Kili safari where we experienced the same quality of service thanks to our guide Peter.

The climb was hard work but certainly achievable, mountain food was plentiful and tasty and the overall experience one to be remembered and enjoyed.

2  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed 2 May 2014

In March this year I climbed Kilimanjaro with Kili Heroes and everything went very perfect from the beginning on. As I am living in Moshi I was lucky to be able to choose a company not only by browsing the Internet but also by visiting their office before booking and making sure I have a good and safe feeling with them. Kili Heroes was actually the first company that I took into consideration (due to all the good reviews and recommendations, and also because I preferred climbing with a rather small, local company) and the only one whose office I visited because right then I already knew it would be the right choice.

Evarist is a very friendly and also a very responsible person. I had to rent practically all the equipment from him and I was very picky with some things but he was always very patient and helped me out with everything and in the end all the gear I used was perfect. Also I could consult him about any question or doubt I had at any time and he always helped me out. Even when I wanted to change the date of the climbing a bit spontaneously it was no problem at all.

Our guides Mwinyi and Paul were both very experienced. I felt safe with them at every moment, they always made sure me and my father were healthy. Apart from that, they are both very nice guys and it was just fun to talk to them during the walks. Of course they knew a lot about the mountain and always told us stories about the plants, animals, Chagga culture and so on.

The whole climb (we had chosen Marangu route) was great, we didn’t face any unexpected problems, enjoyed every moment of it and both me and my father made it to Uhuru peak. On summit day, we got all imaginable support and help from our guides, like Paul carrying a bag from us. Also they were singing and motivating us the whole time. It was an amazing moment when we finally made it to the top, the struggles to get there are really worth it. The scenery, with all the glaciers, is simply breathtaking and when I now look at the photos that I took I cannot believe I have really been there!

Not to forget, the porters and the cook made an awesome job as well. There was a lot of food – we could never finish all of it, I noticed we got almost as much food as other groups consisting of five or more people -, and it was always very good.

A day after the climb we were invited to a very nice dinner that Evarist had organized for all current clients in Moshi.

Kili Heroes then also organized a Safari for us which also went very well and that we enjoyed very much.

All in all, it was simply an incredible experience that I will never forget. Believe me when I say that the choice of company truly makes a big difference when it comes to how much you will enjoy the climb (and of course, when it comes to safety!), so I can say that I am very very glad to have chosen Kili Heroes and it was definitely the best choice I could have made.

2  Thank Miri T
Reviewed 29 April 2014

One day my wife asked me to go on a trip with her and two of her friends from business school. When I asked what the trip was, she said it was climbing up Kilimanjaro. I figured "how hard can it get?!" and readily agreed. Keep in mind that we are both fairly fit people, but have never hiked up a REAL mountain before.

I arrived at Kilimanjaro airport slightly before my wife did (we flew there from different places) and was able to find Cony and our driver Abbas waiting for us with a sign. They were both really nice, welcoming and polite guys. My wife soon arrived and we were driven to the Enong 'Oto lodge in Arusha where we would stay for a day before beginning our climb. The lodge is a cozy, quiet and comfortable place, with a welcoming staff.

Later that afternoon, we met with Demi, our guide and Cony's brother, to go over specifics of the hike. We were very impressed by Demi's attention to detail and his thoughts on safety and equipment. Being amateur hikers, my wife and I were terribly ill-prepared and did not have much of the equipment needed. Demi, though visibly puzzled and frustrated at our stupidity, gave us a hand by lending us some of his gear for a small fee as well as buying us stuff he could not rent out to us.

The next day we began our trip to Machame Gate in the morning. We were greeted Demi, Cony and about 16 porters in a bus, ready to take us on this journey. All the porters were really nice, friendly guys and the trip to Machame Gate was very smooth.

We made friends (?) with a few Blue Monkeys (they are actually black!) when we were served lunch before commencing our Day 1 climb and we all thoroughly enjoyed it! The climb on Day 1 was quite straightforward and we completed it without any incident.

Day 2 was a tough climb, but the views were absolutely stunning! We were guided very well by Demi and Cony every step of the way, with occasional cries of "pole' pole'!" when we would try and go too fast. :)

Day 3 was a really tough day and unfortunately when we reached Lava Tower (4800 metres), I experienced some altitude-related heart issues. Demi and his crew were right there with me. After I stabilized and we went down to 3950 metres, it was decided that it is probably unwise for me to go any higher. My wife was battling severe altitude sickness as well.

Demi and a crew of 6 porters led us down Umbwe route, which has got to be the hardest one on the mountain! We walked down for about 7 hours straight and made it to Umbwe Gate, where Demi had called for a rescue car to come pick us up.

I was a little disappointed that we were unable to reach the top, but glad I survived to tell the tale! Following our descent from the mountain, we decided to go to Zanzibar for a couple of days. Demi and Cony, were really really helpful as usual and helped us buy tickets as well as took us to the airport.

Overall, I think our trip to Tanzania was an extremely memorable one. We made great friends like Demi and Cony and met some great guys like Abbas, Biggie, Salim, McDaddy, Hans and our great cook (whose name escapes my mind right now!).

On my last day in Arusha, Demi even invited me over to his house for lunch which was such a nice gesture. I enjoyed a delicious meal prepared by his wife and got to meet his son, little Wiseman.

We went to Tanzania in search of an adventure, and we have returned not only having experienced something adventurous, but also having made some great friends.

If you are thinking about going to Tanzania and hiking Kilimanjaro, I STRONGLY recommend you pick Diamond Glacier Adventures and let Demi and Cony guide you on your journey!

2  Thank Apurva N