“Staff were dreadful”

Kilimanjaro Mountain Resort
London, United Kingdom
“Staff were dreadful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

I climbed Kilimanjaro in July with Exodus and stayed in this hotel. Due to having problems with flying I arranged to arrive a day earlier and agreed this price with the hotel. The rooms are nice, but the staff from the manager to the bar staff were awful.

I got a taxi from the hotel to the airport and the driver rang to clarify directions. After he did this the hotel manager decided to raise the hotel price by 50USD. I said this was unacceptable and after threatening to speak to Exodus travel she relented. When I got to the hotel she claimed that I had said I would share a room and wanted to put me with a random person. I pointed out I didn't. Their solution was to ask me to go into the village, and print off my emails (naturally they would not check their own systems) I instead argued they should call exodus. Unsurprisingly when they did this it emerged I was correct. Why they couldn't do this before hand I don't know.

Whenever I paid for drinks the waiters neglected to bring me change. Whilst I think its always presumptuous to assume a tip some times the note I paid with was over 5x the amount. As someone else who did the hike with me said they weren't doing this accidentally as when you pointed out that you wanted your change (I don't pay 10 USD for a bottle of coke) they immediately gave it to us.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank UnluckyTransfer

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed two days at this resort in September as part of the Kilimanjaro trek. The service, the rooms were excellent. The food was good; we had no complaints about the quality. On our last day we realized that our room door did not lock but forgot to mention it to the front desk. We would stay again at this resort.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Louise G
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel prior to and after climbing Kilimanjaro and was amazed by the quality. The rooms are spacious and felt like luxury after camping for 6 nights on Kili (on the second night I had a queen sized bed to myself!) The food wasn't fantastic though, although they did cater for vegetarians.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank emily t
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel on 2 separate nights before and after climbing Kilimanjaro. The road to the hotel really could do with being finished sometime soon but the hotel is lovely. The rooms are spacious and clean with baths. They cleaned my walking boots for 3 dollars and did a brilliant job almost like new. Food was ok maybe more choices would have been welcomed. Beds were comfy , has a small pool and gym. Had a good sleep here great stay

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melanie K
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Let me start by saying the reception staff are great.
But it all goes down hill (ha) from there

cleaners are sullen , bar staff are rude, and the restaurant staff are cold to hostile
Plus the food is so bad.

It is poor quality ingredients, badly cooked and poorly served.

We had better food out of a tent at 4,700m!!!!!

Only if very cheap!!!

Room Tip: all the same
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JonVerdi

Travellers are raving about these Kilimanjaro National Park hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Really good hotel with spacious rooms ensuites etc.
Great bar area and pool. The bar prices were OK but the food was poor and expensive.
The pool was cool but refreshing!
The frequent power cuts added to the experience.
Great location for the Kilimanjaro trek.
The staff were friendly and efficient.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here after climbing Kilimanjaro.
It's a real surprise gem in an otherwise poor part of the world.
The staff were friendly, attentive, and helpful. The rooms were spacious, very comfortable and very clean.
The bar was brilliant, Internet connection, pool, spa, laundry service - it's pure luxury!
My only gripe was that the food wasn't brilliant - but then you do have to remember that you are in the middle of a jungle in a very poor part of the world,and the fact you can get a margarita pizza at all is a wonder to behold!
Defo recommend.

Voyager Ziwani, Tsavo West
Voyager Ziwani, Tsavo West
#3 of 5 in Tsavo National Park West
Keys Hotels Limited - Uru Road

Been to Kilimanjaro Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!