“Incredible Building in the middle of Nowhere”

Kilimanjaro Mountain Resort
Brisbane, Australia
“Incredible Building in the middle of Nowhere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Everyone was very hospitable, the rooms were generous, clean and fantastic view over the pool at the dense jungle.
Food was ok but once you are there is no other choice as its not apparently safe to wander far from the grounds.
All in a majestic looking hotel in middle of nowhere, so just relax by the pool before you venture up that mountain.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Truro, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed for two nights prior to the hike and a night after. The rooms were clean and the hotel was quiet. It was a nice spot to sit and have a beer. The food was ok and hit the spot. It was very close to the finish of the hike up Kilimanjaro, so the location was great.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Graham L
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed here in September 2012. I stayed one night pre- and one night post-climb.

My room was extremely clean and spacious. There were two twin beds in my room that were comfortable. The bathroom was quite a bit larger and more upscale than I would have expected, with a separate bath and stand-up shower. My room came with a balcony-maybe 3 x 7 feet (I am a terrible judge of size) which had a small table and two chairs on it.The first night pre-climb was fairly uneventful and I'm sad to say I cannot rate the pool, bar, or food as I didn't try any of them on my first stay. I did, however, manage to get lost walking through the hotel. The paths to the rooms aren't confusing by day, but by night (and by flashlight as the lights are out everywhere at night) it was easy to get lost near the bar/lobby. The hotel kept my luggage, money, and travel documents for me while I was on the climb and returned them as soon as I arrived back at the hotel. The staff was polite and considerate, but I wouldn't call them friendly, with the exception of the girl who showed me to my room who was lovely.

On my second stay, (post-climb) I was very, very grateful for the spacious bathroom and good water pressure. It took at least three tries to get all of the grime out of my hair, but would have taken considerably longer had the facilities not been adequate. After a week on the mountain, it was probably the most comfortable room I had ever been in, though my room was up a few flights of stairs and my knees were absolutely shot from the descent, so I had to hold back tears on both the way up and down the stairs. I'm pretty sure I heard a woman outside the hotel grounds giving birth that night, so that was a little surprising, but eye-opening. Besides that and the sounds of animals, there wasn't much noise at night. I did try the breakfast buffet and it wasn't great, but did have a few items that were good.

Overall, it was a good hotel for few days, a really great place to unwind post-climb, and very clean. I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Elizabeth K
Port of Spain, Trinidad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel recently during a trip to Kilimanjaro. The hotel is clean and new and well maintained. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious and convenient. Food was also always up to par. Very little more that I could ask for in a hotel in this remote region.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank KENVAN2014
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

The bumpy road made a very interesting and fun approach to the hotel. It sure can tax most cars. The resort grounds are beautiful and well maintained, and the staff is very friendly. The food is decent, although I can't claim I'm a gourmet. It was good for me.

There was also occasional entertainment in the garden, seemed intersting but I didn't attend since I was heading out.

About the only problem I had was with the shower being slow draining (a problem in my first room which had a stand-up shower so it was likely to overflow.) I didn't bother calling maintenance since I was heading out. The second room had a tub-type shower and drained better. It was probably just a one time occurance.

Internet cafe is okay for quickly checking your email (small charge). I had an EDGE signal in and our randomly during the day, but I wouldn't count on it.

Bring a flashlight, power failures are common and often. They provide flashlights in the room, but you are better off with something you can trust, and preferably something that has a flood beam rather than focused. If you are going climbing, I suggest you finish packing before daylight is out, since I ended up packing in the morning by the light of a flashlight and headlamp and it was not fun.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank injvstice
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed here before and after climbing Kilimanjaro and while it was very good before the climb, it was even better after. The rooms were of average quality but felt exceptionally good after more than a week in the bush. The complimentary breakfast and dinner were very good considering the part of the world its located in. The best part by far though was the bar area in the center of the hotel, open air with a good selection and a nice breeze, the perfect place to crack some Kilimanjaros and Serengettis and relax from the summit

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Steven K
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

I climbed Kilimanjaro in July with Exodus and stayed in this hotel. Due to having problems with flying I arranged to arrive a day earlier and agreed this price with the hotel. The rooms are nice, but the staff from the manager to the bar staff were awful.

I got a taxi from the hotel to the airport and the driver rang to clarify directions. After he did this the hotel manager decided to raise the hotel price by 50USD. I said this was unacceptable and after threatening to speak to Exodus travel she relented. When I got to the hotel she claimed that I had said I would share a room and wanted to put me with a random person. I pointed out I didn't. Their solution was to ask me to go into the village, and print off my emails (naturally they would not check their own systems) I instead argued they should call exodus. Unsurprisingly when they did this it emerged I was correct. Why they couldn't do this before hand I don't know.

Whenever I paid for drinks the waiters neglected to bring me change. Whilst I think its always presumptuous to assume a tip some times the note I paid with was over 5x the amount. As someone else who did the hike with me said they weren't doing this accidentally as when you pointed out that you wanted your change (I don't pay 10 USD for a bottle of coke) they immediately gave it to us.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo

Voyager Ziwani, Tsavo West
Voyager Ziwani, Tsavo West
#3 of 5 in Tsavo National Park West
Keys Hotels Limited - Uru Road

Been to Kilimanjaro Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!