“Lobo eye warteringly expensive but great ”

and 1 more site!
Lobo Wildlife Lodge
London, United Kingdom
“Lobo eye warteringly expensive but great ”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Ok so what's the beef with the rubbish reviews. Our 1night at lobo was great. Excellent views and freindly atmosphere. Comfortable rooms with great views of buffalo and impala from my bed free WiFi would have been a bonus but actually being out of digital contact with the world was even better

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
Florida
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here in June. The property itself is beautiful, with expansive views of the Serengeti. The room was small, but okay. Our problems related to other issues. The food, as mentioned by another reviewer was just not good, nor was it appealing. I ordered a glass of sauvignon blanc, which came to the table an amber color. I told the server that it was old, and he returned with a glass of the same, which I sent back again. The third glass was acceptable - from a new bottle. The boxed lunch provided on the safari included a burnt piece of chicken, a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese which was dried up and a boxed juice which would expire in two weeks. I did not drink it.
The hotel charges for internet access - $10 USD which must be used continuously in a specific room (not available in public areas or your room) for 1 hour. They will not put this on your bill - you must pay cash. Another snag, upon checkout they convert all charges from Tanzania shillings to USD at a very unfavorable rate. If you want to use a credit card they assess an additional 5% to the bill.
There are other tented camps nearby, which are a much better value, and will provide a much happier experience. The two properties we stayed at owned by this chain-- Wildlife Lobo and Seronera were the absolute worst of our travels in Africa. I would avoid if other options are available. There is a recurring theme here - most of which relates to the arrogant management.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Denise S

Travellers are raving about these Serengeti National Park hotels

Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The high point of our stay at lobo lodge was the viewing deck from where u can hav the 180 degree view of the vast forest .we paid a high price for d rooms as this place was almost full cause annual migration.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sadhwanis
Bologna, Italy
Reviewed 2 January 2014

great place to stay
We stayed one night in the Lobo Lodge and we loved it. The property is very large, but the decor of the lobby to the rooms and the dining room is very nice. The rooms are all the same, but better to choose those with views over the valley. The pool is comfortable and has a magnificent view over the valley. We were in a little tourist period and therefore was not very affolato.
The restaurant is very nice, but mediocre food and buffet anyway ..
The strong point is its stunning scenery

We traveled with Base Camp Tanzania.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Raffaella G
Bern
Reviewed 29 November 2013

This lodge used to be a governement run place during the socialist periode of Tansania. The rooms are small, if you have a neighbour in the next room (which was not the case, since the occupation was about 10% at the time we were here) you can here him rather good. The buildings are beautiful integrated into the landscape, the view from the room is limited to the surrounding savanne, however you see at most times animals walking around. The swimming pool area is a spectacular place with full view on the savanna. Vervet monkeys, rock dassies and agama lizards are all the time around. The service is a bit slow and well below of other lodges within the serenget. The food was excellent - it looks like the chief in the kitchen is a Indian - as well as the management.

Room Tip: I assume, that all rooms are about the same with also the same view. Top floor is recommended.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Day 14-15 and the last 2 days of my safari This is sad and as I look across the Serengeti from the viewing platform I become a little bit emotional During this safari I have become emotional 3 times when I saw my first gorilla ,when I witnessed the Mara river crossing and looking across the vastness of the Serengeti. This is my 3rd and final trip to Africa and if it is on your bucket list do it.
Lobo lodge is again built into the landscape and governed by generated power usage.
For the second time in 3 weeks the staff either choose not to understand English or are just rud but that aside the rooms are presentable although the one that I had had an odour about it.And at least there was hot running water even if on the last day my shower became completely detached from the wall!!!!!! oh well I am in Africa It is something about Africa that they have an aversion to flushing toilets and non working hot showers.
Hyrex rule again but more importantly are the baboons Of a morning they use the corridors to descend from the trees and welcome in the day I had one outside my room looking at me as I looked at him. So keep the door closed.
The doors are decorated with animals and the pool is built into the cliff.
The décor a bit dark and dated but again complimentary toiletries and water.
The view of the Serengeti from the deck is amazing and of an afternoon you can observe the Ruppell's Griffon Vulture soring on the thermals so close you can almost touch them.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank KeenTraveller12372
San Mateo, California
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My wife and I just stayed here one night and thought it was one of the worst hotels we have ever stayed at. It is clearly run on a shoestring budget from the quality of the room to the food served. We have stayed in hotels all around the world and this is one of the worst ones we've ever stayed in. First off I have to say that the location is great, but that is it! We stayed here on our safari, only to see the great migration that would be in the northern part of the park. But, that was a big mistake, we stayed at a tented camp a few nights earlier that was much nicer! So, to start, the room is horrible, very small, they told us we would have a king size bed and insisted it was, but it was clearly a queen and it was very hard and uncomfortable. The floor had old wood boards sticking up and you could stub your toes on it. The bathroom was decent and the views of the serengeti from the room was nice. It is also very loud and animals run on the flat roof all night long, infact my wife did not sleep at all! Secondly, the food is horrible! They have a buffet of really bad, old food that is clearly poor quality, but we did not get sick so that was good. What even made it worse is that we left the Serengeti Sopa Lodge to go here, and that place is very, very nice! One of the best hotels on the trip, stay there if you get a chance! The price is horrendous too, it is like $350 a night just due to its location. If you find yourself stuck going here, stock up on some food on the way and the stores along the way and get some power bars, nuts or something to hold you over for a day! But seriously, don't stay here unless there are no other options. Make sure and have your safari company book you at Serengeti Sopa lodge instead. There are,however, two good things about this hotel: the gym is really good and it was fun to watch the cute hyrax running around the grounds.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a nice view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple