“Wish we had more time here”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Serengeti National Park
Serengeti Bushtops Camp
New York City, New York
“Wish we had more time here”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We unfortunately only had one night here, although we really enjoyed the limited time we did have. Really fantastic location during the migration – we saw a river crossing just a few minutes after our plane had landed along with cheetah and countless other animals!

Check in was very efficient, helpful, and gracious. All the service was great. We received a lovely tented room with a huge outdoor deck with a hot tub. The deck was so nice we chose to eat our dinner at the table there. Breakfast was also very good. We were sad to leave.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

There is nothing else that you need or want at Serengetti Bushtops; the set up is incredible, the staff are attentive, very caring and friendly, the tents are big and luxurious (your own hot tub looks out to the Serengetti). We stayed for 3 nights for our honeymoon and whilst it was a lot more than we were initially hoping to spend it was worth every penny. It is definitely a once in a lifetime experience (although we now want to save up to return). Thanks to our butler(you have your own one) Said, and the bar and waiter staff Sifuni, Francis and the manager Pantaleo for making our stay so welcoming and perfect. Our guide Kokan and spotter Amos were superb and good fun - the Jeeps on safari are open and you get a much better experience than being boxed in. The food was also delicious. We can't recommend this place enough!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christa H
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed at the Bushtops for 3 nights during our tanzania - Kenya Safari. The place is absolutely beautiful. Hot tub after the afaris was relaxing and free drinks top it off. definitely would recommend this place as the on that stood out. Our waiter Francis excelled and performed better than the best waiters ive seen at top restaurants in NY city.they truly know great customer service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This formed the second part of our safari, having stayed at the Mara Bushtops before.
In some ways the Serengeti Bushtops have to work a bit harder than the Mara, as they do not have the natural salt lick that the Mara has, nor can they offer night game drives. However, they delivered on every angle. The rooms are more modern than Mara, with full telephones in room rather than buzzers for example. And the tents felt slightly bigger as well. The views were on a par, facing the sunset rather than sunrise at Mara. They have the same superb trucks for game drives as Mara, and a camp fire in the evenings which is lovely. I think the food was a step up from Mara, it was absolutely superb. Lobster Ravioli, Fillet of Beef, all executed perfectly, this was a real stand out. Our driver and spotter Jeffrey and John were simply outstanding. So incredibly informative and great eyes. They were the reason we found the elusive Black Rhino, and also Leopard. For much of the trip it was them finding the animals, which meant we had some time with them in private before other trucks arrived. We really felt like the lead party! It is also worth mentioning that all our game drives were private, which is a huge plus when you are out all day as it means you can go totally at your own pace and structure your own routes and priorities in terms of game targets. Most of the other trucks you pass do seem to have multiple groups, especially in the Mara.
Again we had massages each day which was a great finish to the day.
Only negative was that our tent was around 500m from the communal areas, which is fine, although over many days, and also in the dark often, this walk can get a bit tiresome. The camp is far more spread than the Mara Bushtops. However, I do believe that they are working on getting a golf cart fixed at the moment for shuttle runs, and they will give you a lift in a truck if you want, but it feels a little lazy always asking for that!
But that aside (a very small issue indeed!) this is a very special place indeed and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone at all.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank craftyninja1
Shanghai
Reviewed 21 May 2014

After a 3 week trip to Africa, our stay at Serengeti Bushtops was easily the highlight. I've never been on Safari before, and it was only our second trip to Africa, so perhaps all camps in the Serengeti offer similar services. The only problem here is, I'm not sure what more one could possibly ask for than what Serengeti Bushtops provide? I mean, I'm sure you could come up with some strange requests like "we'd like to be woken up with Giraffe noises", or "please ensure my coffee is Fair-er trade than other camps", and I'm pretty sure they'd find a way to make it work. So perhaps other camps are offering other, crazier stuff, but as far as I'm concerned, Bushtops satisfied pretty much everything we could have ever thought of.

This was our honeymoon, and admittedly, we spent a lot to stay with the Serengeti Bushtops. They're not cheap, and so I felt like it was going to be difficult to live up to the expectations of spending the old 80/20 rule (where 80% of your honeymoon budget goes to 20% of your time there). I can say with upmost certainty that we got our money's worth and then some. Hopefully the following can help you with your decision on Bushtops, which is obviously a big move for any budget. I should say also that our stay at the Bushtops was entirely made using TripAdvisor reviews and my discussions with their manager, Claudia Stewart. None of my friends had ever been there, and deciding to book there was a big leap of faith. Turns out the internet notched a big win with this one, we were SO glad that we did this, and we have the inter-webs to thank for it alone.

They picked us up from the airstrip and offered us coffee, booze, and cookies in a nice little spread by the side of the runway as our guide got our applications processed at the game ranger office. This type of spread would follow us wherever we went in the camp/on the drives. The drive back to the camp took about an hour, but we stopped and saw hippos on the way and just as we were pulling into camp we spotted a herd of elephants blocking our path. Said welcome committee delayed our arrival by about 20 minutes, but I can think of no better a reason to enjoy a delay. Watching them ripping down branches and meandering through the grassland next to the camp in the dusk light was borderline spiritual, and it set a high bar for the rest of the trip. A bar, I might add, that was raised with each day of our subsequent game drives.

The camp itself is a set of residence platform-raised tents for guests (you get your own tent). Each tent is immaculate, spacious, far away from everyone else, and allows you all the comforts of home without sacrificing just how close you are to the untamed wild of the Serengeti. It's entirely safe, though, and the camp takes precautions to make sure you feel even safer, like having local tribesman roam around the camp looking for animals to intimidate. In addition to the tents for sleeping/washing/hot-tubbing, there is a communal dining tent, (Think a 5 star restaurant with a great dining room with the best view on the planet), a reception tent, a fire pit, and a great, small but perfect pool overlooking the Serengeti.

The Game Drives: You're coming to the Serengeti, and while you are probably here for the luxurious experiences, I can hopefully assume you've come to see the animals, of which there are so, so many. We did three consecutive full day game drives (up at 6, back by 5), and don't understand why everyone doesn't do that. The more you're out there with those awesome rangers and spotters, the higher the probability that you'll see truly exceptional stuff. For us, there were two standout stories that we came away with: A cheetah hanging out on the hood of our jeep for a few minutes, and watching a massive pride of lions (with 9 cubs) feast on a Buffalo kill and then enter into what can best be described as post lion thanksgiving food comas. The guides were awesome, able to answer our 10,000 questions about this or that with enthusiasm and great detail. Oh yeah, and they can see animals about 10 minutes before you can, so tip them well for making your drives that much better!

The Service: Ever wondered what it would be like to be Teddy Roosevelt on Safari with a staff of 60 looking after your every possible inclination? That's how I felt, and I gradually learned that they wouldn't balk at any request I threw their way. My adventurousness in requests gradually increased in complexity as I learned that they didn't know how to say no to anything. Example of a request, Day 1: Can I have a glass of Rose please? Day 2: Can I have a bottle of rose in my tent? Day 3: Can I have two bottles of Rose prepared for my return from the game drive waiting for me in my tent? Day 4: Can I please have 2 bottles of Rose in my tent, the hot tub prepared, and masseuses ready to help us iron out the knots in our shoulders attained after a long day of watching animals kill/have sex with each other? I like Rose wine while on Safari, what can I say? Their manager, Pantaleo has possibly the best trained staff I've ever experienced anywhere, let alone the MIDDLE OF THE WILDERNESS. One final thing on the service, tell them it's your honeymoon, and prepare to be freaking wow'ed even beyond their already high standards of exceeding expectations.

The Food: You're in the middle of the Serengeti, but you wouldn't know that by the food. We loved it all, no complaints whatsoever. Everything tasted fresh, the courses plentiful, and our stomachs repeatedly were pressed to find more room to accommodate such great food.

Overall: It's a ton of money, but it delivered above and beyond our wildest expectations. I don't know what other camps do, and frankly, as long as Bushtops is in existence, I never wll. We're already trying to figure out how to sell non-essential organs to fund a trip back there. Don't dawdle, this place fills up fast and we booked months and months in advance. Trust in the internet...we did, and we were so so glad we did.

Room Tip: They're all the same except for a double tent, go for the ones furthest from camp to enjoy total...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank iamthecoley
Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 9 May 2014

WOW - what a place. This review is a little overdue as I stayed in March 2014. After spending 5 nights at the sister camp in the Maasai Mara (which was brilliant also and will receive a similar review) I arrived here and was just blown away. I spent five nights here also and the location, the animal experiences, the food, the accommodation and staff were just amazing. I could not have had a better time. I have travelled a great deal and have been on many safari holidays and this one and the sister camp in the Maasai Mara were unparalleled. I could use many adjectives and many paragraphs to tell people what an incredible place this is but you really just need to experience it for yourself - there is no way you could be disappointed. And you seriously need to know how good the food is - and you are in the Serengeti - and it is very, very good.

As a person travelling on my own, some of the things that really make a good holiday is when you don't have to worry about the quality and professionalism of the company, any internal transfers within a location or country, the booking processes, the way the staff is going to treat you etc. Everything was superbly arranged and organised and I was communicated with all the way. The staff were just brilliant - there is no other way to describe it. I especially loved having a drink at the end of the day with my Field Guide, some of the camp staff and the Manager and talking about what I had seen during the day and anything else we wanted to talk about. It was a great way to end what was already a great day.

And the animals - it can be hit and miss on safari and my philosophy is you see what you see and this means you are never disappointed. This is the wild and you can't possibly expect to see everything and no matter what you see it is all brilliant, but we managed to see and find pretty much everything and then some. Cheetahs hunting, a lion pride with 11 lion cubs, many many elephants, a leopard kill with lion chaser, buffalo herds - you name it we saw it. Incredible!

A special thank you to Lawrence who really just made an already incredible stay perfect and to Deus, Amos and Nissa who made this holiday such a special one. I really, seriously, can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: All rooms seem to have a similar view and regardless of which room (tent) you are in it will blow yo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank VJ313
Yarm, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Having spent the previous 4 nights at it's sister camp , the Mara Bushtops, I was a little apprehensive as to whether the high standards could be maintained. i needn't have been as the standard of this camp was thankfully just as high.
Yet again the camp, the food , the staff were absolutely wonderful.
The camp itself is different from the Mara. The tents are spaced further apart, more spacious and seem to be newer. The wildlife surrounding the tents was just as close. Close encounters with elephants and large herds of buffalo will remain fondly in my memory.
Yet again we were fortunate to spot the big 5 again in a comparatively short space of time .This again was down to the excellent service provided by our guide, Jeffrey and spotter.
Nights were spent discussing what had or hadn't been seen on the drives sat around the campfire quenching the thirst with an ice cold Tuska.
In conjunction with our stay in the Mara this was the holiday of a lifetime. I do hope however that one day we will return and experience this unique place and people again.
A special mention must go to our guide, Jeffrey. Not only was he very knowledgable about the local wildlife, he had a great sense of humour and was always eager to talk even when off duty.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple