“No Better Way to Experience the Serengeti” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mbugani Camps Tent Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Serengeti National Park
Mbugani Camps Tent Camp
Nathrop, Colorado
“No Better Way to Experience the Serengeti”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

My wife and I spent two night with Barnabas and his crew at Mbugani Camp in January 2014. We had no idea what to expect other than we were staying at a tent camp in the Serengeti. We were excited but my wife was a bit apprehensive as she is not necessarily the camping type. What a pleasant surprise we had.

The accommodations were perfect. The tent was spacious and as comfortable as any fine hotel. The dining tent was as fine a place to enjoy a good meal as I can imagine. The view down the plain with the Sun setting in the west was breathtaking.

The staff could not have been more friendly, accommodating, professional. They went out of their way to help make us feel completely at home. Barnabas has a VERY fine crew.

The food was much more than we expected. How they made the meals they did with the remoteness of the camp is a tribute to their commitment to a wonderful customer experience.

The experience was memorable. Listening to Lions roar at night is not something that I ever dreamed I would experience. Waking to the sounds of the Serengeti is something I would love to experience again. There would be not better place to do it than Mbugani Camp.

All in all I would give Mbugani Camp my highest recommendation.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DanDowning

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Hebrew first
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Just returned from Tanzania Safari. Stayed 3 nights at Mbugani Camp in western Serengeti. "Tent Camp" does not capture how great the accommodations are. Over 500 sq foot, tall-wall, tent with wood floor, electric lights, 3/4 bath with hot water, queen size bed, and sitting area for served morning coffee. Food is also great with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Chef will even bake you a cake for special events. Staff is most welcoming and accommodating. And the wildlife is almost literally at your door. We saw elephants, baboons, and impala from camp and heard the roar of lions at night. Highly recommend if you want luxury camping close to the Serengeti wildlife

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin W
Bethesda, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

I have known the owner of Mbugani camps, Barnabas, for 7 years. I met him while he was my safari guide on my first trip to Africa and we bonded. He has remained a good friend since then and on my return to Africa in JUly 2013, we stayed at his new camp. I have been to other camps and his is TOP NOTCH. Plus, it is much larger than most, so large groups can attend and if you're a small group, socializing and meeting new people and their experiences can be optimal. Those are some of the best experiences about the camping experience. Meeting other people and exchanging stories on safari and life experiences. Lodges don't much encourage the campfire experience. The rooms were clean -- HOT RUNNING WATER (which some camps don't have) and the beds super comfy The food is exceptional, especially considering you are in the middle of the Serengeti! All of the comforts of a lodge but with wildlife all around. Nothing like walking to your tent avoiding animal droppings while watching a herd of zebra graze through the front field (the local Cheetah had passed through the day before). And listening to the lions all night long - all around you -- nothing like it. Awesome experience and Mbugani Camp is a wonderful choice. I know the owner is looking to set up another site, so look out for that too.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Surrey B
Sag Harbor, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

Unbounded enthusiasm was part of our daily life while at Mbungani Camp. We arrived after a 10 to 12 hour hard drive from Ngorogoro Crater and we were met with the warmest of welcomes, the most comfortable tent arrangements that I would have imagined (bigger than my NYC apartment! and very hot water in the shower) and a fabulous dinner. That was for starters. Our nature drives twice a day were always fabulous. I loved the evenings around the campfire, hearing the animals at night, seeing them first thing in the morning. The camp manager and employees were so warm and joyous and truly wanted to anticipate every need and meet it. It was the highlight of a 10 day safari and I would return tomorrow if I could. Highly recommend this experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Skeets1133
Cusco, Peru
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

I cannot recommend Mbugani Camps enough. My partner and I went on a 5 day safari and LUCKILY stayed at Mbugani for two nights- had we know what it was like we would have spent our entire time there. It is incredibly beautiful, the tents are everything you could want, it is so romantic, bush rustic and yet luxurious at the same time. The staff were absolutely wonderful, they were completely on top of every whim and we didn't want for anything the entire time. Honestly I can't rave about this place enough. On a day trip out from Mugbani Camp in the western corridor we saw 3 wildebeest get eaten by crocs as they crossed the river, a cheetah, two "honeymooning" lions, countless elephant and giraffe... Mugbani follow the migration so know where to set up that is for sure. Highly highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Allana B
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

Recently, I went with Kensington Tours on a spectacular safari trip to Kenya and Tanzania. It was truly a trip of a lifetime. We stopped at several wonderful places in the two countries and far in a way our favorite was Mbugani Camps.

Picture yourself in the middle of the Serengeti Plains, in an absolutely lovely tented camp, in an gorgeous area surrounded by wild animals (we were told that a few nights before we arrived, a pride of 11 or 12 lions decided to rest right outside of our tent!).

The camp is owned by a bright, entrepreneurial Tanzanian named Barnabas, who is a Masai and has spent his life in this part of the world -- much of it as a well known and greatly respected guide for safaris.

Given his background, he knows exactly what to expect and what his guests want and need and he delivered it beyond our wildest dreams.

The tent was adorable, with all the necessary amenities and a man who brought us hot water each morning and evening to draw our bath.

The food? Just terrific! My travel companion liked vegetarian cuisine and I loved meat. No problem. You tell us what you want and we will deliver it and then some. Tasty, well prepared and served cuisine served in a dining tent with Barnabas and his family (they were visiting from the big city :-).

I had mentioned that I missed chocolate, and poof -- there were chocolate chip cookies for us.
How neat was that????

We sat outside by the fire each evening (they had one each night), looking up at the stars, hearing the animals calling out to one another, in the middle of the Serengeti, and felt that we had found paradise.

Not a care in the world, in a safe, wonderful place that made Jurassic Park seem like South Park.

In the morning and afternoon, we would go out for game drives. Go a tenth of a mile in any direction and there are lions....and wildebeests....zebras....leopards....giraffes....rhinos...cape buffalo...., essentially in their back (and front!!) yard.

One morning we went outside the camp area, and there was a lion eating a crocodile!

There were so many great aspects to being there, but let me tell you my personal favorite. Barnabas and his staff. Each person was nicer, harder working, warmer, more innovative than the next one, and Barnabas would regale us with stories of his life out there and his safari adventures.

During our stay, several guides who were passing through (my guide included!) stopped by, said hello, and talked about what a great guide, friend and manager Barnabas is, and I couldn't agree more.

I could go back here once a year -- hopefully for big block of time.

To put this in perspective, I am an ex-travel magazine publisher who has been to 150+ countries.
The idea of being in the African bush in lovely, comfortable surroundings but being part of the natural world around us is what we had hoped to achieve, and these people delivered so much more than we could ever have hoped for.

I really appreciated Kensington Tours for finding this place for us, and whether you use them, someone else, or plan the trip yourself, this should be at the very top of your list.

If you are planning a safari adventure of any kind in East Africa, you must include this magically special place. You will never, ever regret it!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
#28 of 115 in Serengeti National Park
Serengeti Tortilis Camp
Serengeti Tortilis Camp
#4 of 115 in Serengeti National Park

Been to Mbugani Camps Tent Camp? Share your experiences!