“Fascinating”

20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Fascinating”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The tour guide provided by Holland America was excellent.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank TGrabon

West Chicago, Illinois
353 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 317 helpful votes
“Tunisia is a treasure of Phoenician, Carthigian, and Roman Culture and ruins”
Reviewed 29 October 2011

We returned from a 2 week visit to Tunisia - north to south - visiting numerous sites for the above mentioned ruins plus visiting Berber settlements still inhabited in the souther part of the country - in the Sahara. OAT was the provider of this particular tour and are not planning to offer the tour in 2012 but certainly is you requested it they might put something together - they have had tours going there for the past 3 years and they were VERY popular until the Arab Sping scared most Americans away. We were there for their first elections - more than 90% of the registered voters voted - hard to imagine - and this was only to elect those people who will write the new constitution. Tunisia is a very moderate Moslem country where very few women wear burkas though many do wear head scarves with heans and sequined t-shrits. It's a WONDERFUL destination.

Visited October 2011
7 Thank sue o
montreal
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Do not use Carthage Tours to tour tunis”
Reviewed 1 September 2008

i booked a private tour through carthage tours for my sister and myself. it was 320 dinars for the day, to see the medina, the bardo museum, carthage, and sidi bou said

our guide refused to take us through the medina. we walked from our hotel (dar el-medina, a fabulous place) to the tourist souk, and then out. i explained to my guide that i had wanted a tour of the medina, he replied that medina tours are a walk through the souk. i explained it was not what i had requested, and to take us back through the medina. he refused. we walked to the car, and went to the bardo museum. our guide had trouble in both french and english. he had a poor knowledge of the museum. i had just toured libya (with cox and kings, an excellent company), so i had a general knowledge about the artifacts that we were seeing in the museum. i actually had a better knowledge than the guide. our guide ended up sitting on a bench while i explained exhibits to my sister.

we then got back into our car, and again our driver refused to turn on the air conditioning. we went to some of the carthage ruins. we were let loose to tour the ruins on our own, while the guide wandered around, finally finding a bench to sit on until my sister and i were done. fabulous. we were taken to sidi bou said, and shown the tourist souks, again, with a quick little walk through. we had our lonely planet and so requested a few stops, but had we not, our guide would have hurried us through without any stops.

i was quite upset and contacted the tour company. i explained that the tour was unacceptable (i would have been happier had i just gotten a taxi for the day and toured myself, and i would have saved 320 dinars). i dealt with mme. moufida hedfi. she told me that if i wanted a medina tour, i had to request it. asking for "a medina tour" means a walk through the souk. not a tour of the medina, as one (north american or european) would think. i told her i was upset and she explained that it was not her fault but the tour guides' fault. (the tour guide said that he had been told to do a walk through).

long story short, i complained to the tour guide, he said it was the company policy not to go through the medina. the tour company said it was the guides fault. i told mme moufida that i was going to complain on trip advisor and to the lonely planet, and she told me not too. i also asked for a refund, and i was given 60 dinars. unacceptable. i left in a huff (i was frustrated) and she ran after me, imploring me not to write about what had happened.

had she refunded at least half the 320 dinars i paid for the attrocious tour, i would have been happy. happier. (i toured the desert with "coeur du desert" for 3 days with my sister for 400 dinars total)

so- i do not recommend this tour operator at all. they were terrible. worst experience of my north african trip, and i toured libya, algiers and morocco. hands down, carthage tours is the worst.
please do not use them!!!!

35 Thank alvin76