“beautiful hotel - perhaps a bit snooty”
Review of Villa Didon

Villa Didon
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carthage
grand rapids, minnesota
“beautiful hotel - perhaps a bit snooty”
Reviewed 3 July 2011

The Villa Didon is a beautiful hotel situated with incredible Mediterranean views. The rooms are beautiful and everything one might expect from a 5 star property. Breakfast served in the room is great. Would be a wonderful and romantic getaway as hotel has only 10 rooms as well as a spa, restaurant, and hopping bar. The decor is great. The room is very comfortable with really cool showers and jacuzzi, a sweet balcony, a nice sitting area and all in all a great place to stay and relax. Its built right on the ruins of ancient Carthage and its location is prime although very convenient and a brief 5 minute walk to the tram to Tunis or 10 minutes to the beach or a small shopping area. My only gripe is that they are kind of snooty and didn't allow friends to enter who weren't dressed up (we were just returning from an excursion). I think they are quite picky about who they admit which is good for security I guess but still makes one feel a bit awkward. The staff ranged from very helpful to a bit aloof. But it's a beautiful hotel in a great location with great service. I didn't eat in their restaurant since it was a bit out of my price range but I'm quite sure it's excellent. The hotel is pretty expensive but lives up to it's cost. I'd return if given a chance!

Room Tip: all rooms here offer great views.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Eric N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Boulogne-Billancourt, France
Reviewed 29 July 2010

We stayed at the Villa in the Venus suite. The room is quite alright, stylish and features a great view on Carthage and the Bay of Tunis. I found the staff at breakfast quite friendly and decently quick. Reception was also friendly despite an issue in booking dates (we got there one day too early. We were not plagued by issues mentioned in other reviews like noise or arrogance - the room was actually very quiet and cleaning staff was quite discrete, waiting for us to wake up and exit the room... we booked through friends from Tunisia though - I'm sure that helped a lot.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ESC2008
Tunis
Reviewed 24 April 2010

A friend and I went to Villa Didon for cocktails, or at least tried to go. When we arrived (Im African American) we were harassed by security outside of the hotel about the purpose of our visit and if we had a reservation for the restaurant. When we repeatedly said in Arabic and French that we are going to the bar, they promptly said there was no room. We decided to enter and found plenty of space. This is the second time that this has occurred at Villa Didon. The first incident was two months ago with another friend, where again we were told there was no room at the bar, and decided to enter despite their protest and found plenty of room at the bar. This most recent incident, I was so disgusted that I asked for the manager who was "not present at the time" but the receptionist assured me that he would register my complaint. We decided to take our business elsewhere. Needless to say I doubt the manager will hear about the incident, therefore I will be visiting again and speaking to the manager in person. I spoke with security and told them that I would be speaking to the manager about this most recent incident and I will not be spending my dollars at their establishment.

Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
8 Thank Linnisa
Graefelfing
Reviewed 29 March 2010

I tried to see their rooms for future reasons - they kept me waiting and waiting in the lobby. What I saw there in the meantime, was an unbelievably arrogant attitude to their customers.
Staff at the reception was unfriendly (not a single smile!), extremely slow and completely inefficient. Once you enter the building you have the very strange feeling of not being welcome. The design is modern, however not as breathtaking as in design-hotels in Central Europe. Their clientele seems to be mostly persons who want to show their wealth ... smoking cigars, showing a lot of gold ... well, they want to impress others, that's it. But far from "understatement". The Villa Didon is truly not an authentic place, it could be anywhere and their staff does not even life to 3-stars-standards. If you look for a nice, quiet place in a great location, then you may try the charming Dar El Medina in Tunis, which is a lovely, welcoming place.
Oh, yes, after 1.5hrs waiting I was told that all (10) rooms were occupied and I went off. I simply do not understand, how a hotel can exist like this - but the negative ever same reviews here over the last years so far had no impact on this product.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank SilkRoadTraveller70
Geneva
Reviewed 11 August 2009

OMG... we just had the worst SPA ever... we wanted to do the hammam + Massage... at the hammam we were scrubbed with soap that is basically a liquid hand soap refill for toilets. Then we had to wait for 30 minutes lying on a bed before the massage... a lady came a decided to perfume the SPA with... a toilet spray! ... we finally decided not to have the massage... avoid avoid avoid!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank xaxounet
home
Reviewed 6 May 2009

Hi,

I choose this hotel because it's rooms, location and services. the Jacuzzi is not working in the jounir suit i got , tea and coffee always cold and the most important thing that i cannot sleep untill the last bar is closed because while am in bed i can hear every thing happens down which wasn't excepected at all as a 5 stars hotel. i spend lovely time in the morning at the spa and suffer ALL NIGHT.

Noura

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 24 November 2007

First the positives. The location is fantastic and all the rooms have amazing views over the punic ports from the lovely balconies. The suites are huge, there is a great hammam downstairs, the beds are comfy and there is a bit of a wow factor.

However.... once the wow has worn off you notice the cracks both physical and in the quality of service.

The finish on the rooms is not as good as it could be, which is a shame as a lot of money has been spent here and with slightly better workmanship it would be better.

The in-room bath area at the end of the bed is interesting. It is a nice idea, but it would help if the shower worked properly and did not flood the room. It would also be good if the bath could drain, or you could get hot water out of the taps in the sink.

Other minor annoyances included the bizarre stocking of the mini-bar, the inability to provide any glasses in the room, the impossible complexity of controlling the temperature in your room and the strange automatic time-controlled, motion sensitive lighting.

The main probelm was the service. You were not made to feel like a guest at a hotel but an annoyance getting in the way of running one of Tunis's top restaurant/bars downstairs. It was almost as though they had forgotten there were rooms attached.
Whilst the restaurant was nice, it is dramatically overpriced compared to other equally good eateries nearby and is no longer part of the Alain Ducasse stable.

The bar staff were entertainingly incompetent and full of their own self-importance, which was surprising given the very limited range of drink available. We also spotted them pouring left overs from drinks back into the bottles! On most nights all the seating in the bar is reserved for private parties meaning that guests have no where to sit anywhere in the hotel other than their rooms, given that the bar also serves as lounge and reception.

Unfortunately you could hear the noise all night from your room.

All the makings of a very nice hotel are here - it just needs some professional hotel management and staff.

• Liked — Views of the punic ports
  • Disliked — obnoxious bar staff
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
20 Thank Lawrence232
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carthage
La Villa Bleue
The Residence Tunis
The Residence Tunis
#1 of 12 in Gammarth
Golden Tulip Carthage Tunis

Been to Villa Didon? Share your experiences!