Matmata Hotel
Hotel Le Grand Bleu(Djerba Island)
US$33
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsplace is cleansmall townhot wateroasissheetslocalsstyletunisia
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Really unless you are desperate look elsewhere or better yet just keep going out of town because there really is no reason to stay here: you can see the grossly (and I mean grossly) over rated sites within minutes and be on your way to something better like the really memorable Ksar Ghaline oasis. But back to this hotel: basic is charitable. Staff is indeed indifferent and worst of all is the food. Frankly it is not fit for human consumption. Just dreadful. The cats wouldn't even eat it. If must stay at this dive then bring your own food but really there is no reason to stay here at all. The hotel seems safe and I am not saying it is dirty (except for the food) but that is all you can say for it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I enjoyed my stay. Definitely a better choice than the Hotel Sidi Driss, the actual hotel the makers of Star Wars used for shots of Luke Skywalker's home, where I had originally planned on staying. The ambiance is nice and tranquil, and the service is friendly. While I was here, there were few other people, so I felt I was well attended to. The place is clean, including the bathrooms, which are shared. There is free wifi, but only in the lobby area. One electrical outlet in the room was most welcome. The set menu meals were basic and just ok. Everything was loaded with oil though, including the soup and couscous, which made everything seem greasy to me. However, I realize this is my individual taste. The included breakfast was also very basic, as is in most breakfasts in Tunisia - a massive basket of bread, 1 date jam and 1 butter and coffee. Somehow whoever cooked the egg that morning managed to both undercook and overcook it at the same time, which I didn't think possible. Peeling it ripped the outside white apart, but the interior as gooey and runny. Not good for a hard boiled egg. Anyway, that was a little minor as well. I liked my room. The sprinkle of flowers on the beds were a quaint touch. There were a number of tourists that streamed through in the morning as I was using the wifi, but not bad. After all, a troglodyte hotel is a cool thing to see. The hotel is not located far from the bus/louage station, so it's under a 10 minute walk if you're traveling independently. The bathrooms were shared, but split for men and women. The hot water in the shower didn't last very long, despite the fact I was one of about 5 people there at the time. And the lights in the bathroom didn't work. Even still, it wasn't a deal breaker. My stay here was nice for the price.

Room Tip: Don't have huge expectations for the quality of the food and it'll be fine.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

Went to this hotel last week , for one night as had busy two days , this hotel is ideal to start your day , we had a four Couse meal when we got there ( after beers ) the meal was great staff friendly and help full ,,, but the bedrooms r exctrimly basic indeed ,,, one good thing had air con ,,, really need it ,,, the bathrooms were from 1950 ,,, the beds were like logs !!!! and uou need a good sleep for but all you need for a night stay ,,,not for two nights ,

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 13 June 2013

The hotels and touristy attractions in Matmata are a bit lackluster. That said the landscape alone and the little villages outside of the town are a sight not to be missed. I wouldn't really suggest staying overnight in Matmata. You'd be better off doing a day visit from Djerba or other surrounding cities. However, if you do stay I would recommend Marhala. The food is good and both the food and beer are cheap. The rooms are also quite interesting. A warning though, if you get there during the day make sure to lock your door even if you leave for just a second. My wife and I checked in a opened the door to the room, proceeded to get the bags out of the car, closing the door but not locking it on our way out, and when we returned 5 minutes later there were 20 German tourists cluttered inside our room.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Stopped here during a tour of the south of Tunisia. Rooms were very basic but usable, food was typical Tunisian and quite tasty, Staff were friendly and prices considering the hotels isolated position reasonable. The small pool area was clean and the cold water a refreshing relief from the desert sun. Be aware a large number of coach tours lunch here so can be very busy during the day.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family