“Nice place, but don't get stuck downtown looking for a cab at rush hour.”

Sheraton Tunis Hotel
Ranked #7 of 55 Hotels in Tunis
Reviewed 16 October 2010

I stayed here by myself on SPG points and had a very pleasant stay. Staff was great and friendly. (The waiters can be forgetful at dinner time, ha.) Rooms were comfortable (they even have a Fox Movies channel in English) and quiet. A couple of tips / things you might want to know -

1. Cabs are cheap, but rush hour traffic is brutal. One night it started sprinkling and getting dark downtown (about 3 miles down the hill from the hotel) and it seemed like everyone in the city was trying to hail a cab. I could not get one for about an hour. Don't even ask me how I got back to the hotel - let's just say it was an ordeal involving walking along the dark highway at one point. Rush hours seems to be from 5pm to 7pm. So have a plan for getting back up there. (If you like to walk you could probably walk down the hill to the main city center in the morning in about an hour or so.)
2. The hotel has a funny vibe in the public areas (lobby and bar). To me it seemed like all the local wealthy hipsters and business men like to go there in the evenings and smoke and drink and then go home. The bar looked beautiful but too smoke filled for me to sit there. Free internet access in the lobby but www connection spotty.
3. The spa is very pleasant and I had a nice back massage for 30 mins for 45 TD ($33 US). Buffet breakfast good but a bit overpriced at around 25 TD.
4. I checked out at 6am no problem, but I learned that reserving a taxi the night before is prudent at that hour. The airport is only 7 mins away with no traffic. That was the only time the cab driver did not turn on his meter. He wanted to charge me 15 TD and I got him down to 10 TD as we were half way there which was probably too much, but I don't need to grind down some poor cabby that was up at 4am a few bucks. The airport was a breeze to get through security. (It had been about 5TD on the meter from the airport to my hotel days earlier.)
5. I didn't see any kids and I think the outdoor pool might have been closed, but I would come back here solo or with my family again. Enjoyed my stay.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
SheratonTunisHotel, Director of Sales at Sheraton Tunis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and specifically for highlighting the friendliness of our staff and how much you enjoyed your stay with us. We are glad to hear that you found the hotel to be of a good standard and that you enjoyed the various aspects of it.

We look forward to welcome you back sometime soon, please feel free to let us know whenever Tunis becomes again part of your travel plan.

Reviewed 2 October 2010

I stayed here because it was the ''company discount'' house.
Excellent, if somewhat isolated, position high above much of Tunis. So good views, and quiet. But a long walk to get anywhere.
All the right facilities: 3 restaurants, 2 pools, fitness centre/sauna etc. etc. etc. Good air-conditioning.
But some of the facilities were closed [Ramadan], and everything looked like redecoration was about due.
Service: lots of people around, but service was somewhat hit-or-miss.
Food: forgettable
Price: with Corporate Tarif, just about OK. As a sole business traveller, not good value.
Overall: As the headline: typical Sheraton: a boring, pompous businessmens' shed.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
SheratonTunisHotel, Director of Sales at Sheraton Tunis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2010

Dear Guest,

We thank for taking the time to post your comments about your last stay with us, these will be shared among our team.

We truly hope to welcome you soon again at the Sheraton Tunis Hotel & Towers.

Best regards,

Reviewed 25 September 2010

My third stay in this hotel and have picked it due to its close proximity to the airport and easy access to our business interests. Rooms are nothing special. Clean. Business Lounge is very small compared to some others. There is a lot of dead space in the lobby and this is where I believe the customer service needs to up the ante. The buffet restaurant is okay, but only okay. To get the attention of the waiters or staff is a challenge and it feels more of a 3/4 star service at best. The reception staff are very helpful. Watch out for the Alo Taxi trick though. There is plenty of yellow cabs nearby but some keep you waiting for their friends who will try to overcharge you. If you are simply for a short business trip, do not hesitate to stay here but just dim down your expectations accordingly

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

We sincerely would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Please be assured that we take your comments very seriously and all necessary actions are undertaken with the aim to continuously improve our product and the quality we deliver.

We look forward to welcome you soon again at the Sheraton Tunis Hotel & Towers.

Best regards,

Reviewed 25 July 2010

I was very happy with my stay at the Sheraton Tunis. I'd read mixed reviews ahead of coming so was wondering but everything was perfect. The hotel was clean, attractive and comfortable - perfectly outfitted for a business class hotel - with spacious guest rooms, great bathrooms, all amenities and a balcony overlooking Tunis that was pleasant to sit at. There are multiple good restaurants (though the Walima restaurant that specialises in Tunisian cuisine was not open for dinner), an indoor and a (great) outdoor swimming pool, free internet services, and a commanding view over Tunis that was particularly nice on a starry night. I would definitely recommend it. The only potential drawback is that it's a little further out of the city centre than some other hotels so for touring the medina and museums etc. there are closer hotels.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
SheratonTunisHotel, Director of Sales at Sheraton Tunis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

We are very truly delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you soon again at the Sheraton Tunis Hotel & Towers.

Reviewed 29 June 2010

Firstly as a frequent stayer, you are greated and made to feel most welcome but all staff members.
You are shown to your room which is fitted out most gracefully, the sitting area and the beds are all pleasently comfortable, the bathrooms are all kitted out for your needs if you have forgotten some toiletries.
Hotel location is pleasantly situated not far for the city centre or the airport, and the views have to be seen.
Simply the best nothing to fault.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
SheratonTunisHotel, Director of Sales at Sheraton Tunis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2010

Dear Guest,

We would to express our sincere appreciation towards you taking the time to post your comments.

We are truly delighted to hear that you have been enjoying your stays with us and we definitely will pass on your feedback to our team members.

We look forward to welcoming you soon again at the Sheraton Tunis Hotel & Towers.

Reviewed 25 June 2010

We were overwhelmed by the level of service provided to us as Platinum SPG - we always have great service at all hotels but this was beyond expected. We had the assistant manager waiting for us, escort us to VIP floor and didnt even have to sign anything. Very good. Only downside is that the decor and the rooms are a bit tired and need renovating, but still are very confortable.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
SheratonTunisHotel, Director of Sales at Sheraton Tunis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2010

Dear Guest,

We would like to express our sincere appreciation towards you taking the time to post your comments.

We truly are very delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you soon again at the Sheraton Tunis Hotel & Towers.

Reviewed 21 June 2010

I have to say that despite expectations I enjoyed my stay at this hotel very much. Tunis does not have an abundance of good hotels but despite the old state of the hotel I found several aspects of my stay here very good:

Good points - there are many that are largely down to the staff who outweigh the old infrastructure:
- the staff in the lounge were absolutely delightful, so much so that I even wrote them a compliment. I complained about something and the young lady did such a good job of listening to me that I felt like apologising to her for my sour mood at the end. Despite the small, tired SPG lounge the staff made it a nice atmosphere to be in.
- I wanted some clothes altered and the staff called a really nice older black lady who did a first rate job on my alterations and was really cheap. Work included adjusting the size of designer jeans, polos, trousers etc. She only spoke French which I don't but we understood each other. I try to use local tailors on all my travels and she is the best, thank you! She is so good that the hotel should recommend her.
- the evening grill (especially the fish) by the pool is tasty
- pool area is small but with several features that make sunbathing, swimming and working on the laptop outside feasible so I was able to do swap happily between all 3 aspects during the day. End result - clear conscience from a productive day and pleased to tan and swim too.
- hair salon is good, the stylist is meticulous

Not so good points - the decor is tired and old, breakfast food was just ok but I do note that I stayed during Ramadan, internet connection in the lounge was unreliable

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
SheratonTunisHotel, Director of Sales at Sheraton Tunis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2010

Dear Guest,

We would like to express our sincere thanks for taking the time to post the feedback from your last stay at the Sheraton Tunis Hotel & Towers.

We are highly delighted to read all the positive comments you mention, especially emphasizing on the great attitude of our associates; please be assured that we will share your points with the respective team members.

We thank you again for your kindness and look forward to welcoming you again at our property.

Kind regards,