Carlton Hotel Tunis
US$76
US$73
US$75
Priceline
All reviewsthe main streethotel locatedexcellent locationfirst floorcentral tunisbooked a single roomhabib bourguibamodern roomsbreakfast roomrestaurants and cafesclean hotelthe heart of the cityavenue bourguibaold cityhousekeeping staffbardo museumde france
Reviewed 7 December 2013

The location and very convenient for walking to the major sites and shopping in downtown Tunis, and it's walkable from the train station. My room was modern and very clean. I stayed in December when it was fairly cold and rainy, but the heat worked well and there was lots of hot water. Wifi was surprisingly fast. It's an old building, so it's inevitable that the insulation for noise would be low. As such, there was a fair amount of noise from the neighboring establishments and you could hear everything happening in the hallway, but it quieted down by nighttime. Many reviews say the breakfast is not great, but perhaps they have updated it because the spread was quite satisfactory. Carlton Hotel doesn't get a 5-star rating from me because the reception staff were not very friendly and the exterior of the hotel made it difficult to identify, otherwise everything was quite nice. I would stay here again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Anne D
Reviewed 3 December 2013

the location is on the main shopping street and therefor a good location to go around town. When I was there they just opened the new breakfast area, which was quite an improvement. Staff are nice and the room I had (at the back of the hotel) was quiet and comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This could be an option for groups of youth or for backpackers traveling short on budget. Central and clean enough (these are the only good points). However, If you want some comfort, try somewhere else. Tunisia is an inexpensive country, so you can get a much better hotel for just a little more money.. For me, it was an unpleasant experience (and I have lived in Tunisia and stayed in many hotels there). First, the staff was unpolite. My tunisian friends picked me up the airport, and led me to Carlton. Just to hear from the concierge "if you go up, don`t stay too long". So, OK, Tunisian friends are not welcome. Although I didn`t like this attitude, I stayed over. Just to sleep badly, as the sound isolation is poor. Noisy teenagers kept me up all night. I could even hear the sounds from my neighbor`s toilet. Then, at 6am I could no longer sleep because of the sounds of tables being laid for breakfast. I left Carlton the next morning and headed for another hotel, even though I had payed for 02 nights in advance. But, maybe I was unlucky.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Carlt0n_management, Directeur général at Carlton Hotel Tunis, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear sir

Sorry to read you had an unpleasant stay in our hôtel. You probably know that the local regulations in Tunisia forbids hôtels to allow tunisian unmarried couples to stay in the same room. We are sorry for that stupid law and lobbying to have it removed. However it is the law, and for the moment all hôtels have to apply it. We hope to see you again at the Carlton Tunis.
With our best egards.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

and I thought the last stay was pretty decent.

Rooms are very clean and well appointed. Everything appeared to be brand new. Like the mix of ceramic / stone flooring and center isle of synthetic marble? which made for quiet and easy to clean.

A/C was operational, free WiFi worked. Check in was smooth and convenient as before.

TV had many selections. I had just left a 4 Star Hotel in Sousse after an extended stay and I had not expected this level of relative luxury.

Tunisia is going through a difficult period, Their currency has lost half its value making imported refurbishments pricey.

In terms of room quality this property is a 4 Star +++++ The only minor issue? I would have liked a chair with a back.

Room Tip: Rooms on back are very quiet ...... I have not stayed on the front so I can't speak to them.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Leonard C
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Carlton is a good choice & I really enjoyed staying at this hotel for 10 days.
The hotel is located in the middle of the main Avenue Habib Bourghiba.
I paid with my credit card (visa) without any problem.
The staff is excellent. As soon as I entered, I was immediately welcomed and checked in without delay. Staff made every effort to let me feel confortable.
Breakfast dull and disappointing, need some improvement...

Room Tip: Back room are better a more quiet
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business