“A historic hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Tunis
Toulouse, France
“A historic hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

This is a historic hotel near the centre of Tunis. Built about 1914 and renovated over the past five years it only opened a few months ago. The staff are enthusiastic and eager to please. The rooms have 18 ft ceilings and balconies over-looking the avenue. Great cafe on the first floor terrace and a well equipped fitness room on the second floor. Lots of activity and plenty of atmosphere.

Room Tip: A junior suite isn't much more expensive than a single room but gives youi extra space and comfo...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Roberta T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Keep in mind this is a rating for the developing world, not comparing this place to a hotel in Paris or NYC.

So, in point form:
-Good free wifi.

-Rooms are large and clean with AC.

-Staff is friendly.

-Food is hit and miss. Better than average breakfast. We were at a conference and the lunch buffet was great. Then dinner was terrible, Cold and tasteless.

-Bar is lacking in decor but they serve beer and cocktails.

-great location in downtown Tunis.

Overall it was nice. The whole place reeks of smoke, but that's Tunisia.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank JMfromTO
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

Stayed at this hotel as my husband had business meetings in Tunis, for 3 nights. We were driving to Libya from UK through France, Italy, ferry, Tunis. By the time we arrived at the majestic, I was ready for some relaxation. I had my doubts about hotels in Tunis, having been dozens of times to beach resorts, i know they are not to European standards.But from the moment we walked in I could see this was going to be better than I thought. Reception staff and the porter were curtious, as we took our car, and were quite loaded up, we were a bit worried about parking, breaking in etc. But we needn't have. The concierge looked after our car, whilst it was a parked and saved our spot for when we got back, when we needed to use it. The room we were allocated was on the second floor, not far from the lift, I expected it to be a bit noisy, but it wasn't. The room was heaven, nice French style furniture, large comfortable bed, a new bathroom and a lovely French window that looked out onto the busy street below. As I was expecting a cockroach infested bathroom etc this was perfection. The bar was quiet but pleasant, on the second night there was a Tunisian style singer, that a few sang along to. I was happy to sit there with a beer and my IPad, never had any trouble with Internet connection, bar staff were nice, some nicer than others, got bitten quite a lot with mozzis but that's not unusual for me and no reflection on the hotel. The only thing missing from the room was tea and coffee making facilities, as I always take my own, this didn't bother me, until I plugged my kettle in and fused the electric! After a call to reception, a handyman arrived to sort it,telling me it must be my phone charger, so, I just thought it might be the socket, I tried it in another and, fused again, it's never happened before or again, strange. The only gripe I have, is with the cleaners, they did their job, changed the sheets every day, which is unnecessary, let themselves in after the smallest of knocks, while I was still in bed. I was able to have a good nights sleep, which is unusual for me in a strange bed and to say how busy the street is below. I would definatley stay here again, actually we tried on our way home, but it was the elections and they were booked up. Didn't try the spa so can't comment.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank safish2000
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

I stayed in the Hotel Majestic for 12 days in October 2011. I booked a single room but seem to have received an single superior (more on that later) as the room was enormous.

First, the pros:
- Some incredibly kind staff, including one bellhop who brought me water unprompted when he heard me sitting in the lobby and coughing. Another waiter was very patient with my terrible French and had a lovely sense of good customer service.
- The room was enormous and very nicely furnished with a flat-screen TV and a ridiculously large bathroom with a fabulous tub.
- Good breakfast buffet - with made to order omlettes and crepes. So-so coffee made up for by a large selection of pastries.
- A wonderful mezzanine outdoor sitting area. Although it looked out on a tram stop, it was a still a refreshing break to go outside and work on my laptop.

Now, the cons:
- I booked a single room online and when my colleagues and I went to pay the bill, it seemed that my enormous room was actually a single superior. I suspected this but was never informed or even given a choice upon checkin. The man at the front desk was rude and condescending even when it was clear that he was ripping us off. Be VERY careful with these people.
- Lots of noise - one night featured an enormous wedding party with dance music thumping through the whole place until 1 am. Not a nice feature for business travellers like myself. My room also looked out over the tram stop which rumbled to life very early every morning.
- The housekeepers start very early 8 am and have no qualms about making an enormous amount of noise. I was staying with two work colleagues and all three of us experienced the maids barging in at inopportune times, ignoring all Do Not Disturb signs and without knocking. They also seemed to be able to open the door deadbolts - why would you enter a room deadbolted? Clearly someone is inside and does not want to be disturbed. I also noticed that my belongings had clearly been rummaged through - nothing stolen - but another female colleague experienced the same thing.
- In my opinion, the largest strike against this place is its location on Avenue de Paris, off of the main thoroughfare of Habibbourgiba. This is a very low-class area. The first few days I wore skirts with stockings and got a lot of nasty comments. Most of the women wear the hijab and the nearby tram stop brings in undersirable elements who seem unused to seeing foreigners. I went for a walk to buy bottled water and was robbed two blocks from the hotel. A man grabbed my neck and ripped a (fortunately cheap) necklace off of me.

My colleague and I moved as soon as possible to a hotel in the Berges du Lac area. If you can stay in another area at all, that would be my recommendation.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. The large rooms do not make up for the constant hassles of location, thieving m...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank fightingtreeantiques
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

I really loved the design and location of the hotel. My (superior) room was at least 60m2 big like a palace suite. Nicely renovated with free Wlan, good bed and flatscreen TV.
Bathroom was OK altough not very special.
I would have loved the hotel (and given it 5*!!) if sound Isolation and breakfast would have been better. A shame.
A good night rest is the basis for a good hotel, and I am an easy sleeper! Unfortunatly I did not sleep well in this hotel. Its central location together with Tunisians who love emotional driving make it a very noisy location. Rooms have only a single glas window and a minibar whit noisy compressor. Noise all night, very tiring.
The breakfast room is to small (they should also use the beautiful terace next to the breakfast room!) and servces lemonade instead of fresh juice (and fresh juice in Tunisia is great!).

Again this hotel is near to beeing quite good, with lovely terace and great location ... a good sleep would make it perfect!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank jvschaik
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

I recently returned from a business trip to Tunisia. I stayed at the Majestic in downtown Tunis for seven days (Sept 8-14, 2011). First, let me tell you that the staff at the Majestic billed my credit card for TWICE the amount presented to me on my bill (including food and laundry) when checking-out. No joke. TWICE the amount. When the financial manager at my office contacted them to get an explanation or reimbursement, they ignored her. When I followed up to do the same, they ignored me. They are thieves, or at best completely incompetent at their jobs and should get out of the hotel business. I am still stuck paying almost $400 US dollars more than what I was billed on paper.

Second, my room (335) had a broken shower the entire time I was there, despite the fact that I had to endure TWO separate incompetent maintenance men coming to my room. Neither one of them were able to do ANYTHING for it - it had a broken door (it was literally leaning on the shower when I arrived) and then the shower head hose had a broken wall attachment so the only way to shower was to hold it the whole time.

Third, many other reviewers have commented about this trend in general, but the "four star" hotels in Tunisia are comparable to "two star" hotels elsewhere in the world it seems. I stayed in a two star hotel in Cairo, and it was far superior to the so-called "four star" Majestic. That goes for the food at the restaurant as well!

Oh, and my second night there, the front desk called me late at night and awoke me from my sleep to ask if I had ordered a cheeseburger from room service..? What the hell? No, I did not.

The one good thing I will say about the Majestic is the Wi-Fi connection was very good, even on the top floor. It was the main reason I was able to endure my time there. The hotel is also right in the middle of downtown Tunis, so that is nice depending on what you need to do in Tunis.

If you want to have your money stolen and to deal daily with an incompetent rude staff, then stay at the hilariously named "Hotel Majestic." At least they have good Wi-Fi.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Jeffry H

Travellers are raving about these Tunis hotels

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

My husband and I stayed for a short weekend break in Tunis and I chose the majestic based on reviews here. It was lovely. A hotel that lives up to it's name and certainly in it's architecture. Clean, excellently priced, friendly and well situated to the capital. Breakfast was a buffet that had a better selection than some others we've stayed in. Give the boiled eggs a miss! Room service was superb and the seafood spaghetti was delicious. Room was large and well appointed. The bathroom was spotless and new. Only downside was the impatient room maid who seemed to hassle us out of our room in check out but then we did dally. Overall highly recommended!! Will definitely book again!

• Stayed August 2011