“one night” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in Tunis
Lakenheath, United Kingdom
“one night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I only stayed one night but found the staff helpful, the room clean and the breakfast very good. I arrived at midnight to check in and was shown to the room. The bar was shut but as all i wanted was a bottle of water, the barman served me with a smile. When i went down to breakfast, the staff were friendly and it had a good selection of food. When checking out i asked for a taxi which the reception organised.
Overall a nice place for my quick stop over

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dean K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Turkish first
Albany, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I mean you hear the word Palace as part of the title and you expect more than you get here. The chairs in the lobby have blown seats and everything is just a little seedy and dusty. The restaurant is interesting with a pretty bar, but it's expensive. The clerks are not too helpful and you have to know French or Arabic for real service. The location, however, is not to e beat, on the main street and near restaurants, theater and sauk. So beware the ads which make the place look better than it is. My college chose this place because she thought it had a gym. It doesn't.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located on a crowded street within easy walking distance to the medina and cathedral. It has large clean rooms with TV, safe and free wi-fi. Rugs a little worn and for one night was rather noisy. Staff accommodating and meals good. Rather expensive but, Overall, a good choice.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Robert M
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

I have stayed many times at the Tunisia Palace, as well as having place many, many clients stay there. It is one of the most attractive hotels in Tunisia and for those who want the urban feeling, one could not ask for a better location in Tunis's "centre-ville" and in most cases, praised by clients.

Following a previous review, where I cited a security lapse, I have felt it important and fair to revisit...which I have done since, on multiple occasions. This only seemed fair. Under the management of Nabil Ben-Ghorbal, his keen eye to maintaining high standards, a staff with ongoing training and a restaurant that scored very high marks when I recently attended a luncheon, it is fair to say that Tunisia Palace is once again, one of the best hotels in Tunisia.

I'm glad I returned and look forward to having clients stay there with regularity.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank JerryTheRugGuy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

I was in Tunis just for one night to know the city. I had a private tour who pick me up in the airport in the morning and than leave me in the hotel at night. The hotel is located in the heart of Tunis, with a lot of commerce and restaurants near it. The building is a bank as well. The staff was quite rude and impatient. The breakfast was good. The room was very small and old so I decided to pay for an up great to a suite - that wasn't big and still old.Overall it's not a nice hotel but it's really well located, and they charge too much for it!

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Zezinho N
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

My first visit to Tunis, with my Tunisian husband and disabled sister. I was very impressed with this hotel and will definitely stay here again. They were very helpful and kind to my sister who has mobility issues. The hotel staff made an extra effort to make our "honeymoon" room special. The hotel is in a beautiful building and felt very luxurious. The rooms are clean and the beds comfortable. The breakfast was excellent with a wide selection of food and juice. Book this hotel with confidence!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jill T
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

I would like to first state that our company has been using Tunisia Palace since it opened. We bring clients there frequently and generally, everyone enjoys the hotel. The ownership has changed in the past year and we recently had a group stay there during which two members of the group, (staying in separate rooms and not aware of one another's incident) had the experience of a hotel worker knocking on the door and coming in, on the pretense that he was checking that the heating was working, bathroom having sufficient supplies, etc..all of which should have been done prior to anyone arriving. In the process, he very discreetly tried to swap out the plastic key that was in the electic slot by the entrance with his own. In one case, the client noticed this and questioned him as to what he was doing and told him to leave the room. In the other case, unfortunately, our client thought he was doing something helpful and did not think twice about it. Upon his return from dinner that night, he found that his LOCKED suitcase had been opened and a considerable sum of cash was stolen. The client had placed his money in his locked suitcase because the safe was not working. The next morning, both clients independently, described their scenarios and both described the identical employee. This theft was just one very disconcerning action. The fact that the doorman to the hotel asked our clients if they were going out that evening (which was none of his business) and someone else working in the hotel shared the room number of the guests, all suggest that at best, there was certainly one very crooked employee but possibly, several working together.

Upon bringing all of this to the managements attention, we insisted that the police be called. The clients had to take their respective departure flights but did identify the same employee from a photograph. When we asked about footage from security cameras and the possible coordination of employees, there was little more forthcoming. As the departing guests were clearly able to provide positive identification of the same employee,we asked that he be told to return the money he stole, since there was no question that he did the theft.

The result was that no money was returned, we have questioned the hotel management as to what has transpired in procecuting the thief as well as what has taken place in the hotel to increase security. We also queried why hotel workers were sharing the room numbers of our guests.

Other than an apology from the manager, we have not received any further updates. As this was a very unsettling incident for both clients, and the response from the management has not been very forthcoming, we feel it is only out of a courtesy for future guests that they be aware of these security lapses and take whatever precautions they feel are necessary. While it may be a situation of just one, or perhaps a few "bad apples" working in the hotel, what we do not know is if there have been previous victims who simply left the country and never reported the incident.

In short, beware of any such actions that seem to break the protocol of proper security. Most Tunisians are very honest and this should not reflect on the country, as theft can happen anywhere. But helping future guests beware is something that I feel is a responsibility.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
13 Thank JerryTheRugGuy
Nabil_bg, Directeur général at Tunisia Palace, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Hi Mr Jerry,

Im really surprised by your post and your statments as we exchanged emails and i have answered all your questions and gave you all the informations needed.

here is a copy of my first reply to you

"Dear Mr. Jerry,

I am extremely shocked and sorry about the incidents which occurred the evening of Saturday October 26th 2013 in the Tunisia Palace Hotel.

The latter has been for years working on providing a good quality service, this unusual incident was a complete surprise for us.

The interior enquiry I severely conducted, since Sunday October 27th 2013, when I received your complain lead the accusation against an employee named “ C**** S****” who has been recruited lately.

Our suspicion was hopefully confirmed by Ms R**** and Mr. C****, as we send them the picture of the accused employee.

Despite our aim to provide a good quality service and work on having a good image among the international travel committees, this experience stresses that dysfunctions may occur.

Though my self and my staff did not appreciate what happened, such an incident helped to discover early enough the existence of such employee, who not only behave in a rogue way by introducing the rooms in the presence of the guests, but also stealing them.

We informed the Tunisian Police about the case and we are in the process of suing this employee. (Minutes N°4*** October 28th 2013, Police Station Avenue Charles de Gaulle, Tunis Tunisia)

Let me again, in my name and the hotel whole team, present our sincere apologies to Ms. R*** S********* and Mr. C******* L***. We also apologize to you and to the Archaeological Institute of America.

A signed letter from the guests testifying that the picture i sent is that of the incriminated employee will be of a big help for the justice procedure.

I am at your disposal for any further information.

With my best regards.

Nabil BEN GHORBAL
+21698******** "

This is another extract of my second email to you

"5) Since there is no doubt of at least the one man who both Ms. S****** and Mr. L*** identified in the photo and that clearly, C*****(accused person) arranged to get Mr. L****’s key and attempted to do the same with Ms. S*******, it is obvious that he is the one who arranged to break the lock on Mr. L****'s suitcase and get the money and silver money clip. Thus, unless you arrange that Cherni return what he stole, we would have to assume that not all efforts are being vigorously enforced regarding security. He stole something, he needs to be punished, but returning the items he clearly stole, could justify some leniency in his punishment.

C****** (accused person) case is with the police, from our side we can't ask for less than full punishment stated by Tunisian laws.
we still need the clients certificate that the picture i've sent is of the man that switched the key for Mr. L***** and tried to do it again with Ms R*****.

Mr. Jerry, we thank you for your notes, one can't advance and progress if he don't listen nor accepts critics. We have mainly the same goal, the satisfaction of our guests

Always at your disposal for any further request

Best regards

Nabil Ben Ghorbal "

Please note that i asked you twice for a statment from the guests, you haven't sent me anything, we can't sue someone on the base of emails, this is real life Mr Jerry, you have to help us if you want the guest's money back.

From our side, we have made all what's possible and more : We began a legal procedure based on an email, but you didn't have done much so we can achieve it.

We still need guests procurations or testimonies to continue the legal procedure.

Best reguards