“Oasis in the middle of Harare”
Review of Bronte Hotel

Bronte Hotel
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Harare
Reviewed 14 February 2012

The rooms were decent, the food was respectable, and the housekeeping service commendable. The best thing of all was the lush garden, verdant plantings, and Shona sculpture that seemed to turn this in-city hotel into a leafy, tropical paradise. I am just sorry the jacaranda trees weren’t yet in bloom. Being a big fan of Zimbabwe I loved every minute of my stay!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 February 2012

The hotel has nice gardens and average rooms. Rooms have no air condition so you need a fan, which they provide. Staff and service are good. Restaurant and food quality are decent. I would stay here again as it was generally a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I stayed at Bronte on a business trip - staying 6 nights in total ( 4 nights then returning for 2 nights). Upon arrival, the reception staff were very friendly and went through my booking. My room was comfortable - a bit dated but basic amenities were present. The room was clean, the towels were fresh and there was a TV with English speaking channels.

I was booked for B&B and there was a sufficient choice at breakfast and eggs cooked to order. On one occasion I ate dinner and the service was good and the food tasty.

On my return to the hotel for my remaining 2 nights, I was glad to be back at Bronte! The staff were friendly and remembered me. The location is excellent. I had not appreciated the beautiful gardens which meant you could sit outside in the day/night in comfort and safety. If I return to Harare, I would certainly book the Bronte again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Ordinarily I get tired of staying in Hotel rooms very fast. The gardens, complete with statues, ponds and interesting walkways made my stay in this Hotel very pleasant, offsetting my usual experience with Hotels.

The Hotel gives you complimentary Internet, although the service works on and off.

The restaurant service was very slow most times, save for a couple of waiters, John and Elizabeth, who were very friendly and made up for their colleagues mistakes when they were on duty. I found the range of dishes on their Ala Carte menu rather limited, but on days when they have conferences on their premises, they set up a buffet with a much better choice of foods.

All in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Harare seems to have few decent hotel options. Even though it has a Crowne Plaza, a Holiday Inn, and a former Sheraton, none appears to be kept up. The Holiday Inn and former Sheraton's public spaces are depressingly threadbare and dirty; I don't know what the rooms are like, but suspect if the public spaces are poor, the rooms would not be better.

The Bronte is a welcoming, safe place to stay with beautiful and soothing grounds. It's hard not to wake up in a good mood with the lovely grounds, lily pad ponds, and outdoor spaces to sit in to work or have a meal.

The rooms are fine, but there are no screens on the windows and there is no air conditioning. This means that you need to bring or buy bug spray/mosquito coils, especially once the rains start. They put a fan in my room, and because of the time of year (it was in the low to high 70s (F) during the day), I was okay. My room was clean, but I heard from 2 other guests that they had bedbugs in their rooms which were visible when they turned down the top sheet (these guests were on the ground floor; I was on the 2nd/top floor).

The pool I saw near the restaurant was completely un-useable as it was black and looked more like a pond growing an interesting culture than anything one would want to put a toe into. I didn't see any prostitutes around the place.

There are no minibars in the rooms -- I asked if they could put a small fridge in my room if I paid extra, but they had none available and seemed surprised at the request. They did offer a refrigerator they have behind the registration desk in the lobby.

The shower had low water pressure, so taking a shower took twice as long.

The restaurant was okay, service not very good even though the waiters were nice, just not very well trained. As for the food, Zimbabwe is not a place for vegetarians as meat seems to be the center of every meal -- the one day I ate a chicken dish (roasted chicken), it was by far the nicest dish I had while there. I did not eat any salads as they said they used water from their bore hole to clean the vegetables. I didn't know if this meant the water was safe or not and didn't want to risk it, so I missed out on a possible to way to get some fresh vegetables.

I discovered my third night there that they had room service. There was no mention of this in the room with no menu in the room. When I went to the restaurant one evening, I asked if they had room service and they said they did. I asked to take a menu to my room and they refused, saying I should look at the menu there and then remember what I wanted, call from my room and order it. I finally managed to get them to agree to allow me to take a menu to my room. I ordered room service that night and it was fine. The next afternoon, I had a call from the restaurant asking if I still had the menu and could please return it. Very strange.

There is a business center, but they don't have very long hours and they are a private enterprise. I needed to print something one morning before 8am and a sympathetic woman at the front desk let me print using their computer and printer. I was charged $0.50/page to print -- outrageous, but I was happy to be able to get the document printed.

I heard from several people that the Bronte has the reputation of being a hotel where international consultants stay. There may be people around listening who could cause problems for any locals there or mentioned.

There is a "Spar" supermarket about 2 easy blocks from the hotel -- a good place to buy water and snacks (fresh fruit, Ceylon tea, etc. The Bronte has sister hotels next door which are less expensive and not as nice.

Room Tip: Choose 2nd floor -- can open windows as some rooms on the ground floor have doors and you might not...
1  Thank StarryNight01
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We recently stayed at this wonderful hotel. The grounds are wonderful. Filled with flowers, ponds complete with large croaking frogs. Very interesting stone statues are found in various locations in the garden areas. Breakfast buffets are very good. Rooms are nice - no airconditioning but fans are readily available. The staff is very helpful and friendly.
The very best thing about the Bronte Hotel is Emmanuels restaurant. This is a wonderful restaurant. The staff is great and very knowledgeable. The food is excellent!!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor in room 4. This looked out over the garden/pool area. It was very qui...
1  Thank omaopav
Reviewed 25 November 2011

Positive:
Great location within the city, very central and awesome garden setting. Nice gym and two well kept pools. I didn't see any of the prostitutes warned about in one of the other reviews, I dont think this is an issue anymore.

Negative:
As warned, the internet is very slow.
Some of the staff are outstanding but in general they were very slow and inefficient particularly the restaurant. Some of the management and reception staff had a poor attitude which is perhaps indicative of their very high occupancy levels which means they dont really have to care. The rooms are incredibly hot, (there is no aircon), this is not an issue for most of the year but in Oct / Nov it can be impossibly hot, opening the window brought in a cloud of mosquito's.
Yes I would use them again but not in the hot season.