“Garden in the City”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Harare
Kampala, Uganda
“Garden in the City”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Nice hotel with lovely Gardens, spacious rooms and free wifi connection for all residents. spent two weeks at this facility and enjoyed every bit of it.... The Good food, lovely staff and the vicinity to the city centre. Some times I'd wonder how the owners of this wonderful place managed to secure so much land for the Gardens.

Room Tip: Choose rooms with louvered doors, they have better ventilation.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mubarak_Naso

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2012

This is a lovely hotel. Especially if you are in Harare for work. The garden at the centre of the quadrant is wifi enabled and it is probably the most pleasant place to work and meet in the country.

The rooms are clean and safe. to my knowledge all have pleasant garden views. Everything seems to work without fuss.

There is a pool and a small gym. There are now 2 restaurants and a bar and plenty of meeting rooms for seminars, business meetings etc and a couple of lounge rooms.

On this business trip I was put into a chain hotel and it just doesn't match on any level. For a small business meeting we were suggested to use the restaurant. For dinner the meal on offer was distinctly unattractive.

The Bronte gives dedicated service and knows that its business success relies on you coming back. I'm not surprised it was booked out before my reservation was made for this trip.

There is a FB page for the Bronte as well.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
masvingo
Reviewed 27 May 2012

The place is fabulous! The breakfast fantastic...scenery waal.l loved it. Good work Bronte!!

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Church Stretton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I stayed here for a week in March 2011 while running a training course at the university. Very pleasant hotel, decent food and comfortable rooms. the absence of ac was not a problem at all at that time of year. I had a ground floor room looking out over the pool. I used the internet in their business centre, slow but OK. I also checked out the 'expensive' Emanuelle's restaurant - not expensive by international standards, good service and interesting meals. I would stay here again, providing it wasn't the hot season.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 2 April 2012

The Executive Suites are very well appointed, they have nice finishes and good service.

Room Tip: Suites are very good. And have Aircon.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Gaborone, Botswana
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I, my wife and 2 sons visited Harare and decided to spend a night at this hell hole they call Bronte.

At the reception we were booked in family room number 407. Our excitement turned into horror when we were told we had to get our bags and walk across the road about 100 meters to another part of the hotel without a car park. We left our car in the main hotel I assume. All this was happening at around midnite.

We were helped by a porter with our luggage past a taxi rank... Frightening for us may be not for the hotel owners. We could see suspicious faces all around but we just got along as everyone was tired.

The family was atrocious to say the least. I think sleeping in my car was better than this family hell room. The beds are worse than the ones I used at my mission boarding school 20 years ago. There was an old tv set which we did not even bother to switch on. My wife forgot something in the car but I was not prepared to 100metres across the road to retrieve things...how inconvenient.

We were given wireless vouchers which did not work. On enquiring we were told to phone the wireless provider. Are we not guests who should be made as comfortable as possible I asked them. This all fell on deaf ears.

Anyway we crossed the street did the100metres tothe main hotel to go for breakfast in the morning. The breakfast was poorly prepared with no variety. They only had passion fruit and mango juice. Being in Harare with its dirty water i asked for a soda and was told to go to the bar. I have never been told by a waiter at any hotel to go and buy something somewhere else.

At this point we decided to leave. This hotel is junk.dont ever ever take your family there unless you want to punish them. I would sleep in my car and work up all cramp than sleep at Bronte never again.

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank impudzi
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 9 March 2012

The Bronte is a great hotel. A great option for Harare. It has beautiful gardens and a fitness centre. Although the rooms are not air conditioned (I almost fainted when I learned about this on the way to the hotel), I had no need for it and didn't even miss a fan. The breakfast is great, the food at the restaurant is OK, not great, but OK. I have stayed at the holiday inn as well as the Rainbow Towers (if it still carries this name) but none compare to the Bronte.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business