“A great place to shop”
Review of Doon Estate

Doon Estate
Ranked #11 of 50 things to do in Harare
Reviewed 10 July 2014

A fantastic place to buy your souvenirs before flying home. There are some really wonderful shops here, and you can get pretty much everything here that you can elsewhere in the country.

Local craftsmen sit under trees and work on their soapstone carvings, then place them around a field for display and sale. It's great to be able to talk to the people that make your souvenirs.

Our B&B owners told us about this place, and we were so glad we came. It'd be a shame to miss this wonderful place.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

I don't think we would have found this gem on our own and we were so glad our daughter showed us where it is hiding itself. You walk down a road next to an industrial estate and this is really not what you are expecting. You turn into an area with some pleasant grounds, loads of small individual shops which sell a variety of interesting items. I never thought that I could ever be interested in Ginger and Lime flavoured salt but the place got to me. The variety in the shops was very good and made a real change from seeing the same old stuff in England. There are normally at least two cafes there although one was shut as it was around Xmas when we visited. The one that was open sold some really good cakes and pastries with various coffees and chilli chocolate drinks on the menu. You get all types of visitors here. One couple were taking their African grey parrot out for the day and he was loving it.

1  Thank WilliamPayer
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I can highly recommend this place if you are keen for a spot of souvenir and handicraft shopping and also want a bite to eat.

It really is in the most unlikely location, amidst a large and unattractive industrial area of Harare. But the estate itself is attractive, with lovely mature trees housing a lively population of monkeys.There are quite a few shops, all nicely presented and selling a range of wares. Some are specialized (leather, furniture) and others provide a far more general selection of items. There is something for every pocket, ranging from a dollar to several hundreds.Most items are locally made, but I did notice some things had crept in from South Africa, which is a pity as it would be good to know you are supporting the local community. Nevertheless there was a great range of items to chose from, colourful and well made - a good standard of shopping. I noticed some prices were a bit higher than we could get elsewhere, such as at the National Gallery, but I was happy to pay for the convenience and to help support the venture.

We arrived quite late in the day, and some of the restaurants were closing up but we were fortunate to happen on to Veldemeers chocolate cafe. Here we enjoyed excellent sandwiches on home made bread, terrific coffee and possibly the best freshly squeezed apple juice we have ever tried. Apparently the chocolates and cakes are well worth tasting as well.

1  Thank Pennie H
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I was in Harare on a family visit,and went to Doon Estate,for brunch.The cafe there can very
easily be termed as a must visit,food sumptuous and real finger licking,and the coffee,just out of
this world.The chef himself,as well as the serving staff paid lot of attention to all visitors,and chef,
in fact,prepared a special vegetarian sandwich on the basis of our feedback of fruits,vegetables
and other ingredients,ofcourse according to availability.
The brunch apart,there are many small and big shops selling handicrafts,potteries and other
knick knacks,and mind you,these are no fill in the blanks,but you can actually find something or
the other to your test and budget.All in all,it was a morning which spilled upto the afternoon,and
I thoroughly enjoyed the place.On my request,my relative took me to another place called
Willowmeads,the following sunday,which again is a cafe with some stores and boutiques thrown around.This too was a lovely place with good food and atmosphere.YENJOYED!!!