“good stay”
Review of Meikles Hotel

Meikles Hotel
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Harare
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The hotel is perfect for a business trip. The staff were very polite and helpful. The location is in the middle of Harare city and perfect for a walk around to see the city.

Im not sure if my room had been renovated but the bathroom was new and clean and the room was a decent size. Clean and comfortable nothing to complain about.

The breakfast was the only thing i could complain about not that it was very bad but it was very basic. It had everything you wanted but did not impress at all.

Cost of the room was reasonable for Africa and i do not feel like i was ripped off.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
OurMarketingTeam, General Manager at Meikles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Thank you, Tatenda, Ziv for this kind and balanced review of Meikles Hotel. We have a very proud heritage and will turn 100 next year, so some new celebrations afoot! yes, with the heart of our sunshine city on your doorstep, and so many companies and Government departments too, Meikles has long been acclaimed for its superior location - walking distance to so many desired meetings. Our smiling staff also always receive such wonderful compliments in 99% of reviews and that makes us proud. Still a few things to work on, as ever, and thanks for alerting us to some of them. Tinashe Munjoma - General Manager

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Horrible is an understatement. No concept of service or consideration for any guests. Air conditioner perpetually not working. Poor breakfast. Old fashioned bathrooms. Poor or no response to queries. Negative value for money. But I guess due to lack of competition this place still works. Rather stay in a lodge the next time.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Akshay G

Dear Akshay. It's been a long while since Meikles received such a bolt and we can only apologise for not meeting your high expectation. I have addressed these issues with our key staff at our regular meetings and used your review as a case study to firmly attend to issues you raised. I would value a personal email from you with any other finer detail if you have the time. We turn 100 next year with a very proud heritage and we aspire to be world-class in ALL respects, so we have fine-tuning to work on and will. We appreciate the time you have taken to post this review and do hope that you will stay with us again and experience Meikles the way it is as a Zimbabwe luxury icon. Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager). generalmanager@meikles.com

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I am a local and well aware of the challenges presented in running a business in this country, albeit things have improved over the last four years or so. I am also fairly well travelled and have stayed in all manner of accommodation over the years, from beach huts in Tulum to the George V in Paris, so I accept that what I see may not be what others see.

We were invited to a function at the Meikles and decided to take advantage of their offer of a discounted room rate and spend the night. Their discount extended only to the south wing, which is the older part of the hotel and was not part of last year’s refurbishment exercise. So it must be clear that I have not seen or stayed in the new north wing rooms. The room was what I expected; slightly tired and outdated but clean with a large and comfortable bed, lovely pillows and immaculate linen. We overlooked a row of dusty cars at the back of a shopping mall opposite. It seemed the hotel was not particularly full so it’s a shame we couldn't have been upgraded to the opposite side of the hallway, which would have overlooked the park. A torn bedside lampshade spoilt an otherwise acceptable room.

We headed to lunch at the bar and ordered off the snack menu, a simple order which took 45 minutes and two reminders to arrive and was disappointingly bland.

The late afternoon function was followed by tea and cakes on the veranda upstairs. I was surprised to see mini scones on the plates with nothing on them or around them! No butter, jam or cream, just whole, uncut scones! Most disappointing at that evening’s function was the service. In the old days, Meikles was known for exceptional levels of service and many young people would do stints at the hotel to learn the art of silver service. That has obviously fallen away, sadly. The function had a cash bar and it took an hour and several attempts to get bills out of the staff for each round of drinks for our table, instead of the tab that they so desperately wanted to ring up, against our wishes. A bottle of sparkling wine I ordered off the wine list was unavailable (no excuse these days) and my second choice took half an hour to arrive. The worst, however, was our waitress’s unacceptable body odour, which was unpleasant and unnecessary.

Our hopes of a Sunday morning lie-in were dashed when the upstairs room took an early morning bath, a casualty, I suppose, of an uninsulated, ageing building.

Breakfast was unexceptional. A good range of food but spoilt by dessert bowls of marmalade, honey, jams and peanut butter on the buffet table, for all and sundry to dig into. Very un-5 star! And for the life of me I cannot understand why tea and coffee cannot come to the table to help oneself. Instead a waiter pours from communal jugs. It took ages to get the attention of a waiter to pour some tea, which turned out too strong and with no hot water or milk on hand to top it up, it ended up untouched. Perhaps the most shocking incident was when my husband went to pour himself some juice and picked up a wineglass only to find a one inch shard of glass at the bottom. An older person or someone in mid conversation might easily have missed this. We reported this to management; an oversight/mistake certainly, but one which may have had unthinkable consequences.

I have been surprised at how many people have asked me about our short stay at the Meikles and during the many discussions that have ensued, I have asked myself and others, is this hotel still worthy of a 5 star rating and is it fair to compare 5 star hotels in Africa to those in first world cities?

Whatever the answers, this hotel is undoubtedly well positioned for the businessman needing to be in town, however I would imagine the many very good b&b’s that have sprung up recently are giving them a run for their money.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank NB2_13
OurMarketingTeam, General Manager at Meikles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time and dedicated effort to post such a comprehensive review. I have met with my team and have discussed solutions to some of the important points you make. Yes, we agree, there is a vast difference between the South and North Wings as - in difficult times - we spent US$9m on refurbs late last year (especially the North Wing) but knew we could not, at this point, also entirely refurb the South Wing. It is a challenge for us that we are now grappling with.

Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager)

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I had the most wonderful meal at the hotel recently. The appetiser of cold tomato consomme and starter of mackeral with beetroot foam were exquisite! The main of roast beef with gnocchi was wonderful, and I finished the meal with a delectable chocolate mousse. It was fine dining with an ambiance of luxury, a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BevyAbr

Thank you Bevy in Harare for your generous review - fine dining with the ambiance of luxury is just such a perfect description of what we painstakingly endeavor to produce in our signature restaurants. Your headline does us proud and so do your comments - we hope to welcome you back to more mouth-watering dishes! - Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager).

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Hospitality and service in Meikles is great. I like the breakfast and also room service. Visited in Feb, 2014 and again going there next week. Close to government agencies, so easy access. I recommend my colleagues to choose Meikles.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
OurMarketingTeam, General Manager at Meikles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Thank you Rajesh for your strong endorsement of Meikles Hotel. Not only is Meikles a majestic century-old five-star hotel but we are so perfectly situated for international business travelers who visit Harare. As you so correctly advise other business people Meikles is in the very heart of the City and very close to many major companies and Government agencies. We look forward to your continued support. With very best regards, Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager).

Reviewed 24 March 2014

This is clearly one of the best (if not the best) hotel in Harare. Rooms are spacious and clean, all facilities are top notch. The roof top pool adds a bit of class to this already class hotel. The food in the La Fontain restaurant is delicious: I had a steak that was almost intimidating by its size, and every mouthful was an experience. The hotel staff is the most friendly that you can think of. The drivers can take you around town and to the airport for a very reasonable price. I will definitely go back here next time I am in Harare.
If I have to find a bit of disappointment, I should say that the breakfast buffet (although delicious in every aspect) is a bit too pricey (25 USD), maybe a light breakfast option for those who don't want the buffet could be appreciated

Room Tip: The rooms in the renovated wing (where the new gym is) have a nice view on the park
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank cybercharlie
OurMarketingTeam, General Manager at Meikles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Hello to you in the UK. I note that you have written quite a number of reviews at many places and therefore you have a clear benchmark of quality, ambiance and service. That makes us particularly honoured to have received a full-house of five stars from you in your review - thank you.

Indeed we are proud that for almost a century Meikles Hotel has earned a pedigree of distinction in welcoming guests from all over the globe. The HISTORY and HALL OF FAME tabs on our website provide a fascinating glance into the superior status that Meikles has enjoyed for so long and you will also note the distinguished list of celebrities, royalty, presidents and other VIPs who have chosen to stay with us. We have been greatly honoured to welcome such people as Nelson Mandela, King Edward VIII, the Duke of Edinburgh, Hilary Clinton, Prince Charles, Michael Jackson, Sting...and so many more.

Thank you, too, for applauding "the most friendly staff you can think of." I feel that we should start a poll to find the friendliest people on earth...I feel sure that anyone who has ever experienced genuine Zimbabwe hospitality would give our country a big thumbs up! Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager).

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Having first stayed here several years ago I was pleasantly surprised to find that the place has been refurbished, the room was excellent with good facilities and the staff members I dealt with were genuinely friendly and helpful. Will stay here again next time I am in Harare.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
OurMarketingTeam, General Manager at Meikles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Pete. Thank you for your very positive review that includes, as 99.9% always do, a comment on our friendly staff. However, I am delighted that you carefully chose to insert the word "genuine" because open friendliness is, indeed, at the very heart of the culture our local people wherever you go. They don't need to be specially trained inside a 5-star hotel for the broadest smiles and genuine welcome our guests receive.

Thanks also for placing maximum emphasis on the quality of the newly refurbished rooms and on our location in the heart of the city overlooking a park - sheer convenience for the business person. Your warm comments have added to our pedigree of distinction as we move towards our Centenary next year when we hope you will visit again. - Tinashe Munjoma (General manager).