“Best in Harare” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Harare
London, United Kingdom
“Best in Harare”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

For sure the best in Harare by the proverbial long shot. The decor is contemporary and the staff very helpful and well trained. The food is amazing and the rooms are newly renovated and world class. For the discerning traveller, don't even try the other upmarket hotels. Trust me you will be disappointed.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
OurMarketingTeam, General Manager at Meikles Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you Henk for your generous 5-star rave review of Meikles Hotel. With 70 Trip Advisor reviews to your name I note that your approval is based on a great deal of global travel experience, therefore that much more meaningful. In the final quarter of last year we completed the refurbishment of the North Wing and other areas with the specific remit to the interior designers to restore the "world-class" tag to the Meikles lustre that is so famous.

Indeed, we celebrate 100 years next year and hope you will follow us on that journey in our social media platforms as we have many enticing celebrations in store. I trust you noticed the little touches that also provide the magic - the rose and flower bowls that appear throughout the hotel, for instance, are in genuine silver containers that we dug out of our archives and that date back 70 or 80 years. Thank you for staying with Meikles and we hope to welcome you again. Tinashe Munjoma (general manager).

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Hebrew first
Cape Town
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed in Meikles. Have been coming to Zimbabwe the past 3 years. This was the first time I stayed at this hotel. I was plasantly surprised and can really say this hotel is the best hotel in Zimbabwe. The staff is also very friendly and the food very good. If i compare this hotel with other hotels in Africa it is up there with the best.The room is clean and comfortable.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Hello to you in Cape Town. Your very positive review of Meikles Hotel is greatly appreciated, especially your discerning rating as up with the best in Africa. Our staff always get the highest compliments in almost every Trip Advisor review and we are proud of their commitment and genuine happy smiles that add enormously to the guest experience. We hope to welcome you again, perhaps next year during our Centenary celebrations! Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager)
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed at the Meikles Hotel and after booking I was told by staff that the other wing had been given a facelift ( renovated) and I asked the Manager Mr Gwaze to be moved to the new wing which had been renovated and he oblidged. The hotel is excellent and probably the best the country can offer to the visiting tourist and business people, I had a room facing the park which had the best view of the city.

Room Tip: The location is in the middle of Harare city and perfect for a walk around to see the city
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
OurMarketingTeam, General Manager at Meikles Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you Nkosi for your full-house of five stars as your review. We are delighted that you were able to experience the luxury and finesse, that Meikles is so legendary for, in a new North Wing room overlooking the park and the impressive skyline of the City of Harare.

yes, Meikles is a business person's delight in that you may walk tree-lined streets to so many companies and Government departments. And if you play golf then there are two championship courses within a 15-minute drive. - Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager),
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed at the Meikles Hotel for 3 nights whilst visiting Zimbabwe for business.

My overall stay was very pleasant. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the room was well sized, clean and comfortable. The room also offers free WIFI, although you annoyingly have to get a new WIFI code every 24 hours.

The on-site restaurant (La Fontaine) was also very nice and although the service was a little slow during lunch and dinner, the food was a good standard (I experienced breakfast, lunch and dinner whilst staying at the hotel).

I cannot comment on price as the visit was paid for by my client, but I would happily stay here again if I am back in Zimbabwe.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
OurMarketingTeam, General Manager at Meikles Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Neel, we greatly appreciate your solid review and particularly your recognition of our friendly staff and quality of our signature - and quite famous - La Fontaine Restaurant. I hope you will follow us on various social platforms so that you may see what transpires as we move towards our Centenary year next year.

We have a rich pedigree and did you know that such distinguished figures from your country such as Harold MacMillan, the Duke of Edinburgh and King Edward VIII have stayed with us. The Hall of Fame on our web makes illuminating reading. Indeed, the official banquet to usher in the new independent nation of Zimbabwe was held in our magnificent Stewart Room in 1980 when Prince Charles was guest of honour. We look forward to welcoming you once again. Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager).
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

The hotel is perfect for a business trip. The staff were very polite and helpful. The location is in the middle of Harare city and perfect for a walk around to see the city.

Im not sure if my room had been renovated but the bathroom was new and clean and the room was a decent size. Clean and comfortable nothing to complain about.

The breakfast was the only thing i could complain about not that it was very bad but it was very basic. It had everything you wanted but did not impress at all.

Cost of the room was reasonable for Africa and i do not feel like i was ripped off.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
OurMarketingTeam, General Manager at Meikles Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Thank you, Tatenda, Ziv for this kind and balanced review of Meikles Hotel. We have a very proud heritage and will turn 100 next year, so some new celebrations afoot! yes, with the heart of our sunshine city on your doorstep, and so many companies and Government departments too, Meikles has long been acclaimed for its superior location - walking distance to so many desired meetings. Our smiling staff also always receive such wonderful compliments in 99% of reviews and that makes us proud. Still a few things to work on, as ever, and thanks for alerting us to some of them. Tinashe Munjoma - General Manager
Mumbai (Bombay), India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Horrible is an understatement. No concept of service or consideration for any guests. Air conditioner perpetually not working. Poor breakfast. Old fashioned bathrooms. Poor or no response to queries. Negative value for money. But I guess due to lack of competition this place still works. Rather stay in a lodge the next time.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Akshay G
Dear Akshay. It's been a long while since Meikles received such a bolt and we can only apologise for not meeting your high expectation. I have addressed these issues with our key staff at our regular meetings and used your review as a case study to firmly attend to issues you raised. I would value a personal email from you with any other finer detail if you have the time. We turn 100 next year with a very proud heritage and we aspire to be world-class in ALL respects, so we have fine-tuning to work on and will. We appreciate the time you have taken to post this review and do hope that you will stay with us again and experience Meikles the way it is as a Zimbabwe luxury icon. Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager). generalmanager@meikles.com
Harare, Zimbabwe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I am a local and well aware of the challenges presented in running a business in this country, albeit things have improved over the last four years or so. I am also fairly well travelled and have stayed in all manner of accommodation over the years, from beach huts in Tulum to the George V in Paris, so I accept that what I see may not be what others see.

We were invited to a function at the Meikles and decided to take advantage of their offer of a discounted room rate and spend the night. Their discount extended only to the south wing, which is the older part of the hotel and was not part of last year’s refurbishment exercise. So it must be clear that I have not seen or stayed in the new north wing rooms. The room was what I expected; slightly tired and outdated but clean with a large and comfortable bed, lovely pillows and immaculate linen. We overlooked a row of dusty cars at the back of a shopping mall opposite. It seemed the hotel was not particularly full so it’s a shame we couldn't have been upgraded to the opposite side of the hallway, which would have overlooked the park. A torn bedside lampshade spoilt an otherwise acceptable room.

We headed to lunch at the bar and ordered off the snack menu, a simple order which took 45 minutes and two reminders to arrive and was disappointingly bland.

The late afternoon function was followed by tea and cakes on the veranda upstairs. I was surprised to see mini scones on the plates with nothing on them or around them! No butter, jam or cream, just whole, uncut scones! Most disappointing at that evening’s function was the service. In the old days, Meikles was known for exceptional levels of service and many young people would do stints at the hotel to learn the art of silver service. That has obviously fallen away, sadly. The function had a cash bar and it took an hour and several attempts to get bills out of the staff for each round of drinks for our table, instead of the tab that they so desperately wanted to ring up, against our wishes. A bottle of sparkling wine I ordered off the wine list was unavailable (no excuse these days) and my second choice took half an hour to arrive. The worst, however, was our waitress’s unacceptable body odour, which was unpleasant and unnecessary.

Our hopes of a Sunday morning lie-in were dashed when the upstairs room took an early morning bath, a casualty, I suppose, of an uninsulated, ageing building.

Breakfast was unexceptional. A good range of food but spoilt by dessert bowls of marmalade, honey, jams and peanut butter on the buffet table, for all and sundry to dig into. Very un-5 star! And for the life of me I cannot understand why tea and coffee cannot come to the table to help oneself. Instead a waiter pours from communal jugs. It took ages to get the attention of a waiter to pour some tea, which turned out too strong and with no hot water or milk on hand to top it up, it ended up untouched. Perhaps the most shocking incident was when my husband went to pour himself some juice and picked up a wineglass only to find a one inch shard of glass at the bottom. An older person or someone in mid conversation might easily have missed this. We reported this to management; an oversight/mistake certainly, but one which may have had unthinkable consequences.

I have been surprised at how many people have asked me about our short stay at the Meikles and during the many discussions that have ensued, I have asked myself and others, is this hotel still worthy of a 5 star rating and is it fair to compare 5 star hotels in Africa to those in first world cities?

Whatever the answers, this hotel is undoubtedly well positioned for the businessman needing to be in town, however I would imagine the many very good b&b’s that have sprung up recently are giving them a run for their money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank NB2_13
OurMarketingTeam, General Manager at Meikles Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time and dedicated effort to post such a comprehensive review. I have met with my team and have discussed solutions to some of the important points you make. Yes, we agree, there is a vast difference between the South and North Wings as - in difficult times - we spent US$9m on refurbs late last year (especially the North Wing) but knew we could not, at this point, also entirely refurb the South Wing. It is a challenge for us that we are now grappling with.

Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager)