“Another good stay... ”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Harare
Guildford, UK
“Another good stay... ”
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

To be fair, I have no experience of other hotels in Harare, but then that applies elsewhere too, but because Meikles is promoted as a five star hotel I guess it would benefit from comparison..

Meikles nearly makes it, but not quite. For me, the essence of five star quality is service. This is generally good, but there were too many occasions waiting on the pool deck for someone to appear so that I could order a drink... 15 minutes on one occasion... Breakfast service is a bit chaotic and sometimes surly.... It seems that they get a bit overwhelmed by a bunch of guests turning up for breakfast...

Otherwise all good.. staff are generally friendly and efficient (notwithstanding the above) food is good, hotel very clean, rooms and beds comfortable...

Maybe 4.25 stars?

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
OurMarketingTeam, General Manager at Meikles Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Hello Andrew and thank you for your review and candid comments that are very helpful to me and my senior team as we strive to continually enhance our levels of service. We have met with our teams to discuss your concerns and observations that we take very seriously. Good luck to England in next week's World Cup in Brazil! Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager).

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Hebrew first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The hotel seems to be riding a little on its reputation.
The rooms are excellent - comfortable beds, linen, good size, TV channels are good and rooms were very clean.
Similary the general decor in the hotel is appealing. The old colonial feel comes through.
The staff really tried hard and had nothing to complain about.
However, the food was stuck in the 80s. I know it is probably hard getting decent ingredients in Zimbabwe nowadays, but nothwithstanding the food was poorly cooked. Dinner in the restaurant was disappointing and expensive. A med rare rump was ordered - received a tiny overcooked piece of tough meat with over-cooked vegetables my grandma would have liked.
Breakfast is also at best average. For $25 you would expect a world class breakfast

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 126EriktheGreat
Dear Erik. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. While we are obviously happy with your five-star ratings of our rooms, the sleep quality and cleanliness we have taken due note of your other comments which I am following up with our development chef. Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager).
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The hotel was nice and clean. Staff were friendly and helpful. My son had his nice comfortable real cot bed not the ones found in most hotels. When I was having trouble with internet in my room I was changed rooms until I got the room that I wanted and had good internet connection. Definitely staying there again when I visit Harare next month.
Colin Gorogodo

Room Tip: Park view rooms . South wing
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hello to you Colin and family in London...sunny days there, we hear, must be very welcome. Your five-star review of your stay at Meikles Hotel was read out at our daily key staff meeting as it succinctly covers all the things that are important to our guests - cleanliness, friendly and helpful staff, etc. Also the quality of such small things as the cot bed that you mentioned; thank you.

Of the 10 Trip Advisor reviews posted by our guests during the month of May all were either four or five stars which really inspires our team to keep striving to attain even higher levels. Thank you for your valuable contribution and advice to fellow travellers. Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager).
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Meikles is a hotel that allows you to enter into an old-world hotel experience. It has paneled walls in the corridors and an ambiance which supports an old colonial feel. The rooms are clean and modernized, TV more than adequate and the service level is good. It is very well located although there seem to be few restaurant options in the area. The hotel restaurant was rather expensive but service was good. Breakfasts were adequate without being exceptional.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you Andrew for awarding us four stars in your review. I note that you have previously reviewed properties in 23 different cities and that therefore makes you a very discerning guest. I'm delighted you enjoyed our traditional charm and elegance while also taking due and concerned note of your comments regarding your dining experiences, which I have discussed in our daily meeting with our international-class Development Chef. Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager).
Yaounde
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I had the opportunity to stay there in mid- April 2014 in the south wing. I really enjoyed being there both rooms and the service and the personnel too. Actually the choice was made for me by those inviting me but i was not disappointed at all.
Ideally located in the centre of the city with various supermarkets and shopping points. It's a place where you can make good business and deals. break fast is always on time if not in time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hello Cameroon. Your short, sharp review does us proud as does your 4-star rating, especially as you stayed in our south wing which is yet to be refurbished to standards and luxury recently attained in our new north wing. We'll happily return your generosity - at our team meeting today we invoked the ancestral spirits to smile on Cameroon's bid for the World Cup starting next week in Brazil. We not only urged Cameroon to beat Brazil but to also finish top of your tough group that also includes Croatia and Mexico. And if Cameroon wins the World Cup we'll all celebrate joyously with you...and I will be happy to award you two nights in our luxury North Wing with our compliments next time you come to visit. Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager).
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I haven’t stayed at the Meikles Hotel, Harare for some years but when I did, I was looked after extremely well. The efficient & friendly staff, the cleanliness, service and quality was very good.
The restaurant was certainly worth a visit, the wine waiter has been at the Meikles for many years part of the attraction of this old colony hotel.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have either city views or views of the park.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Rodney B
Greetings to you Rodney in Perth. How good to know that we were able to welcome you back to Meikles Hotel in Harare after many years and that you still found great delight in your stay at our famous Leading Hotels of the World (LHW) establishment. As you will have recalled, and have been pleased to see persisting as an integral part of our proud heritage, it is our friendly and helpful staff that are a big differentiator mentioned by almost every reviewer on Trip Advisor. Our new luxury rooms and upgrade make a dramatic difference, of course, but smiles add the vital human element that you so appreciated. Thanks for this great review - the fourth in succession to award us a full five stars on Trip Advisor. Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager).
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed here for one night during my three week Zimbabwe work trip. This hotel is luxury compared to other city hotels in Zimbabwe. There are some decent restaurants in the same building, and I enjoyed the pancakes for breakfast. The room was luminous and the bed was great. The bath room was well equipped. The staff was helpful and I enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jeremarkus
Hello to you in beautiful Geneva. We are honoured and delighted to have seen your wonderful full-house of five-stars review of your stay at Meikles Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to advise fellow travellers of the luxury and happy service you encountered. Regards from sunny Harare! Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager). generalmanager@meikles.com