“Charm in a busy city”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Harare
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Charm in a busy city”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Our 2nd stay at the Meikles. Having stayed in Victoria falls for a week we stayed here for one night on our way home. It is a lovely hotel and well situated for the business district - shame our room looked out onto the huge corporation building that my husband works for - no getting away from work. Not the best looking hotel from outside but it still has a lot of charm inside. Our room was lovely and had an Edwardian feel - bathroom clean - water a bit yellow. The public areas are all spotless. We had a lovely evening meal - excellent service and food. Breakfast was also very good. The hotel has changed over the years - it still has some elegant touches but it was lacking in atmosphere. I think the mix of business and short stays makes it more busy and efficient rather than relaxing holiday but that's how it came across to me. it still is a good hotel and worth staying at. We crossed the road to get some last minute gifts and found some great serpentine stone carvings and negotiated a very good price!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
OurMarketingTeam, General Manager at Meikles Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Hello to you in Aylesbury and thank you for your generous four-star review of Meikles Hotel. It is heart-warming to know you chose to return for your second stay of one night en-route home after your holiday at our Wonder of the World, Victoria Falls. Did you know that the famous Victoria Falls Hotel is part of our stable and was the first Zimbabwe hotel to attain 100 years. Very proudly Meikles Hotel in the centre of Harare will reach the century mark next year.

Thank you for describing Meikles as a lovely hotel with an Edwardian feel as well as for your high rating of our food and service. We hope to welcome you again. Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager).

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Hebrew first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 August 2014

As a business traveler, convenience far outweighs most hotel amenities. Our team chose Meikles because of its proximity to the city centre and for its internet connectivity, but a few things surprised me during my week here:

+ Housekeeping woke me up at 7:30am on a Saturday to pick up laundry
+ Turn down service is haphazard - it's not offered to every guest every night
+ Service in the La Fontaine restaurant is very slow and portion sizes (as well as menu offerings) are always a surprise. For instance, my colleague ordered the gnocchi two nights in a row and they were vastly different portion sizes - one was huge and the other was kids' meal-sized
+ Even though it's written in the hotel guidebook that complimentary tea/coffee is offered in the morning, during my last night at the hotel I was informed this was no longer being offered
+ On the day they were doing hot water repair work, we were informed the morning of and two hours after there was supposed to be hot water, there was still only cold water
+ The hotel ordered us a cab to take my colleagues and I to two destinations on the opposite sides of town; our driver was misinformed and we ended up spending an hour at the Lion & Cheetah Park without breakfast rather than first stopping at the Doon Estate as was originally planned

However, in spite of the above, the hotel has some great things to offer:

+ The location is right in the city centre so easy to get around if you have meetings in central Harare
+ The breakfast spread is very nice - lots of fruit, breads, and meats
+ The lighting in the room is very bright which is nice for working late
+ The service attitude of the staff is wonderful

I would stay here again but hope in the future the training program will improve.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Business travelers to Harare are always quick to acknowledge the prime location of Meikles Hotel and we are delighted that you have joined this chorus by stating that this was a primary factor in your choice of hotel. However, apart from the rigors of business, I hope you managed to explore the city and its environs a bit. If you are an avid golfer (as so many of our American guests are) then you will have discovered that there are several championship courses within easy distance, the 100+ year-old Royal Harare being one of the finest in Africa and just a 10-minute drive from Meikles.

Our sincere apologies about our over-efficient housekeeping staff – I have addressed your issues and thank you for raising them. With regards from Harare. Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager).
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I am currently staying at this hotel. Wanted to review it while the thoughts are fresh on my mind . . . and this is the main thing I can think of . . . my bath water is black with sewage and mud and God knows what. I had to go down to the lobby three times to report the problem before it was finally fixed. I asked for some form of compensation. The manager said he would take off a 16 USD charge from my bill. 16 USD worth of TERRIBLE food. I'm not very happy at the moment. This is the last night of a 10 week Africa trip, where I was spending 20 USD per night on average, and I booked at this hotel in the hopes of having a high class experience. It cost me $175 for black bath water. Very very disappointed. To add insult to injury, I had to clean this myself.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room at all. Stay at the Holiday Inn.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Christopher F
Hello to you in the USA. I am downcast to see your lowly review and comments. We get so many enthusiastic and complimentary reviews that this is a jolt, but we need to take heed of your experiences and perceptions. I cordially invite you to please email me directly with more explicit detail of your room number, dates of stay, etc. I would welcome the opportunity to respond to you directly. Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager).gm@meikles.com
Alkmaar, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Nice Colonial hotel with friendster staff Two things to mention : the official taxi's in front of the hotel are twice as expensive compared to normal one's. A remark about this made at the reception was answered with : " you should have negotiated if you didn't agree". A lot of customers use the taxi's only once. Also we had a neighbour which we could year word by word in the middel of the night. Not. sommering one expect in a 5 star hotel. As we said, the staff is extremely friendly, the food,is perfect, the service outstanding.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind review of your stay at Meikles Hotel. I'm pleased you loved the style (we spent US$9m on a major upgrade and refashioning last year) and set out to retain the heritage of our famous establishment - our five-star Meikles Hotel is part of Leading Hotels of the World and we celebrate our centenary next year. Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager).
Placerville
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel 12 years ago with my father, and wanted to bring my wife and son back to it for a return trip to Zimbabwe. 12 years ago there were great shops on the bottom floor on and the street all around the hotel. There were outdoor restaurant's, and the city square in front of the hotel was full of small booths selling crafts and artwork. It was a great place to stay, and everything was perfect. Fast forward to 2014 and the city has changed, not for the better. The city square is now void of craft and art tables, except for a very nice set of floral booths on the corner. The stores down stairs are all closed, except for the one in the hotel. The outdoor restaurant's are gone. And I needed a new suit case as security had opened mine and broke it on the way there. I could not find a single store in downtown Harare that sold suit cases and which took credit cards. The hotel is still nice, but there are maintenance issues that are ignored. We had a door that would not close in the room. We pointed it out, and it was not fixed. I needed a roll away bed for my son. They only had a mattress. And we visited in the winter - the pool should have been heated, and it was not. And we wanted to go have a drink and a cigarette in one of the bars and they now had all no smoking - in a country that depends on Tobacco to survive. They did have smoking rooms which was a plus, bit last time my memories of sitting in the Explorer Bar having a smoke and a drink were magical. No more.
So you won't go wrong with staying at the Meikles - they have a great place and really try. But the city around them and tourist visiting have dried up and they can only do what they can under the circumstances.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rdeitz
Hello Placerville. I must admit that my geographical knowledge did not extend to knowing about your town, so I have spent a pleasant 15 minutes of research. I note that not only are you located in California USA but that you are well known for producing quality wines in the Sierra Nevada.

Thank you for choosing Meikles Hotel for your stay in Harare and for taking the trouble to post a review of your second and nostalgic visit after a 12-year break. I trust you enjoyed the various changes and that Meikles met all your expectations. With warmest regards, Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager).
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel and tried to live it up a bit by imagining the past splendour in this century old hotel. My two nights stay from Monday 21st July to wed 23rd was extended to the 24th because I had a late night flight to catch and the hotel Manager refused to give me a late check out. Overall, it is a nice place with a lot of history. Breakfast is basic, nice and friendly staff. However, the downside, the internet service was unstable, room 907 where I stayed had a terrible odour in the toilet which I reported to the reception. I guess this must be from the old piping. Overall experience, not bad.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Godsent007
OurMarketingTeam, General Manager at Meikles Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Soji. Thank you for your four-star review of your stay at Meikles Hotel in Harare. We're delighted that you so enjoyed the nostalgia of our almost 100-year-old history and that you took the trouble to post some photos. I am personally attending to the other issues you mentioned. Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager).
Claremont, California
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Had reserved four nights hoping for some vintage charm but checked out after one night, for several reasons. First, we arrived late bone tired after an 8+ hour drive from Bulawayo with many delays due to road work. No welcome, just an officious front desk and bellmen with hands outstretched. Barclay's MasterCharge reader did not accept my card (an alternate reader did) and our reservation was wrong, although reconfirmed twice, online and in person by a friend. Our room in the old section was indeed an antique. There was no room fan, the movable glass panel over the bath tub allowed water to flood the bathroom floor when the shower was used, and the internet was down. But the main reason we left was LOCATION. If you aren't in Harare for business, do not stay at Meikles or you will be fighting gridlock traffic getting in and out of the city every day. Roads and traffic are a nightmare in Harare and the grim black-suit modernity of Meikles didn't make up for it.

Room Tip: Maybe the new wing has better rooms, but I'm not sure they're worth the price.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank R00catt
Hello to you in California. I am very sorry to learn of your tale of woes and that you decided to depart so early. We get so many really happy guests that your experience is unusual. Nevertheless I take full note of all your comments and I have strongly re-visited our late-night arrivals policies. Tinashe Munjoma (General Manager).