“good standard”
Review of Meikles Hotel

Meikles Hotel
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Harare
Reviewed 1 February 2011

I have stayed in this hotel several times and have eaten there many times as I lived in Harare for a few years, this is the main hotel in Harare for business and good food, always polite and friendly, I will definately eat there again when I go back. I do think though the rooms are expencive for where it is

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank fred m

Reviewed 24 January 2011

Stayed at the Meikles for 1 night during my one week trip to Zimbabwe. The service is fantastic and reliable. On par with the best 5 start hotels accros the globe. Definitely the best hotel in Town.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Maarten80
Reviewed 15 January 2011

This is the one of the best hotels in Africa? I feel sorry for the others then.
I have stayed at this hotel fopr 6 nights, and problems started upon arrival. Initially they gave me a room where the A/C and the TV were not working, and a light bulb was burned out. Then they changed for another room, 2 floors lower, with a bed smell.
Upon the 3rd try, they gave me a larger, better room, in the south wing, whre thy said that I would have thermostat control of the A/c (unlike in the other tower, whre you only have an "on/off" button. Wel,, the famous burron wouldn't influence the temp in my room - it was constantly hot. The second night, while talking on the phone and before I've entered the shopwer, something bit me - some bloody insect from the carpet.
They haven't vaccumed my room for 3 days in a row and only after my complain on the 4th day, they've done it. The hot water in the batthroom has no pressure.
The restaurant is not bad, but the average time you need to allocate for a meal is 1.5-2 hours... The slowest service I've ever seen! If you order a coffee, it takes 30 minutes - after 10 minutes they bring you the cup, after another 10 the sugar and finally after 30 minutes, the much expected liquid shows up! Unbelievable, but true! One day they didn't have mushrooms at all, so nothing on the menu that included mushrooms could be ordred. Another day they took an order for ostrich, and 20 minutes later they've returned saying "sorry, we don't have it".
Thew bartender at the pool, on the roof, simply dissapears for 30-60 minutes, so you might sit there and wait in vain. The bar in the lobby is kind of ok, but you have to beg several times for some chips/peanuts.
the concierge is prtetty useless, since you can't find out any info from him. In the customer service area, if you need adaptors, don't be too optimistic - they have a box full with 2 dozen broken ones, and they tell you that is all they have....
Overall, NOT/NOT an amaising experience, TO SAY THE LEAST!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank robroy01
Reviewed 3 January 2011

I would like to take my wife to Zimbabwe just to stay at this Hotel for a night. It is not the most exclusive, smartest and yet it exudes a past era.. Anyone who is visitng Z on business or on their way to the falls, game parks....take a night out to rest and recouperate here.
Full tea and cakes are served in the lobby, The restaurant is totally 1950's, Napery, Live Music, Crepe Suzzette...a very enjoyable and high quality time warp. Well appointed gym and pool area (not large) Was there for a week and had a great time. Am biased I enjoy Harare and its people. If you get a chance go to A restaurant called Cascais - hotel will arrange. Simple food very relaxed atmosphere - beware the piri-piri sauce

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank summerlea45
Reviewed 25 October 2010

As I write this review, my memory of how BADLY I was treated is as clear and PAINFUL as if it had all taken place yesterday. I am the Lead Designer and Visualizer in our advertising agency, which has positioned 40 major business players in the region since 2000.
I have been visiting the Meikles Hotel since 1997, when I arranged for my sister's wedding reception at the Mirabelle restaurant. At that time, my sister had discovered a cockroach under the steak in her english breakfast, and the manager on duty had pleaded for us to accept a replacement. My sister's husband, who had been employed as Sous-chef at the Savoy in the UK, accepted, but warned the manager to improve the standards in the restaurant.
Early in February of this year, I went through the glass doors of the Meikles Hotel, greeting the two Squad security guards on duty. I had been up until the early hours, putting the finishing touches to the client's campaign materials-the presentation was saved on my laptop, together with some additional videos which I wanted to review before the meeting. I felt confident that the campaign would be a success when I met the church team at 8:00 am in the lounge area. My first priority was to relieve my aching bowels, so I turned right and headed to the gents toilet on the ground floor. When I got there, I found another squad guard on duty. He watched me try to open the locked door, then he told me the toilet was out of order.
I thanked him and turned towards the lifts, intending to use the first floor toilets.
The older guard who had been at the door came into view as the lift doors closed. I heard him ask the the younger one what I wanted, and the reply 'the toilet', then I was at the first floor.
At the first floor, the same older guard stopped me from going into the gents toilet, by asking what I wanted to do. I told him I wanted to use the toilet. He then told me that I cannot use the toilet, I should use the toilets in Harare Gardens.
I told him I was coming to the hotel for a business meeting, but that I needed to use the toilet. He then said " I know you, you just want to use the toilet and go." My bowels were really sore at this moment, so I told him he could look in my tote bag when I came out of the toilet, to verify that I haven't stolen anything. He refused. Then I asked to see his supervisor the Duty Manager. He said I could go down to see the Manager, but that he would not join me.
I PAINFULLY turned and went slowly down the staircase to see the manager. This courteous gentleman listened to me, then he instructed one of the men in green uniforms to accompany me to the gents toilet on the ground floor.
When we got there, the Squad security guard refused to open the door.
I was really blazing angry by now, and told them that I was relocating my meeting elsewhere, and PAINFULLY walked to the front door.
My ordeal was not over. The same old security guard was there by the door. He thrust his face into mine, and jeered "You see, I knew you are just coming for the toilet. Where is the tea?" in front of other surprised guests. I told him off, and went out to the car.
I had to phone the pastor and his group to reschedule our meeting at the Cresta Oasis. I really could not believe the VERY BAD treatment I received from a MERE security guard at that hotel. Since then, our agency has had meetings with clients in other hotels around the city, but NEVER at the Meikles hotel.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
17  Thank bryan21Harare
Reviewed 15 October 2010

Being a regular guest and also LHW Club member, I was upgraded to a suite, which was extremely helpful for my business meetings, as I had one bedroom and one separate living room, with two separate entry doors and where the living room area could be closed from the private bedroom. It also had a stocked minibar, and so I was very happy with the room. Furthermore, the room was spacious, with a nice view onto the park. The room was generally very clean, although a few minor things would warrant some repairs.

I personally recommend, if you can, to book a room on the club floor. The food and service is better up there, and the club lounge is also a good area for your business meetings.

The La Fontaine restaurant had a new chef while I was there and the food was good, but very artsy fartsy. Sure, the overly formal French cuisine that had resided there needed some freshening up. But to remove Zimbabwean classics like the kinklip or mushroom soup is a pity. My impression was that the chefs had no clue as to what both local guests and foreign travellers staying at the Meikles will want to eat. This will give other restaurants in Harare a chance to catch up. I was not impressed of the La Fontaine this time.

The Bars and Lounge offer great foods in between or as a lighter alternative if you don't want a full meal. At night, both bars have a small collection of prostitutes, which don't bother you much, but may annoy some of the more conservative travellers.

The service at reception and guest relations are excellent, highly efficient, and polite. Same compliment goes to the Club Loung staff, who are real treasures.

Overall, I very much enjoyed my stay at the Meikles Hotel, once again, and look forward to go back there. I am also particularly glad to note that the Meikles managed to survive so well during the 2006-8 crisis and that in particular now the quality starts to improve in quality and to join once again the ranks of the other leading hotels of this world.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2010

From the minute you walk into the hotel the staff are without doubt the most professional ,friendliest and helpful staff I have encountered in ANY hotel. This hotel deserves the 5 star rating and disregard the negative reviews of someone who is highlighting problems that pertain to the country and are giving a bad review to the hotel.!
We also had an outstanding meal in the La Fontaine restaurant within the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple