“Nice Hostel, huge pool”

Victoria Falls Backpackers
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Nice Hostel, huge pool”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I stayed here for 3 days with some friends. We had a room with 4 beds for us and it was clean and tidy. the showers were alright and the pool is just huge. We enjoyed that one the most after walking to the Falls and over the bridge to Zambia.
Met a couple of other travellers there and its great to hang out in the evening around some fire pits.

Room Tip: Great for backpackers, close to the Falls!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I really liked the atmosphere of the place. It was very nicely decorated and the garden was lovely to sit in.
The location was ok, not great, about a half hour walk into town, or a $5 taxi ride.
The hostel room was 13 beds all in one area. Guests were coming and going throughout the night, and I must have been woken up at least every hour by people coming in drunk, talking loudly and turning the lights on. Whilst I understand it's a hostel, and these things happen, I feel that 13 beds is just too many.
I'm sure the other rooms would have been nice though.
The lady running the place was really nice and very helpful. And the braai was very enjoyable as well.

Stayed August 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I wrote the following letter to Victoria Falls Backpackers regarding my most recent experience at their hostel. They did not respond.

Dear Victoria Falls Hostel,
I think this past weekend was my 9 or 10 visit to your hostel. Generally they have all been pleasant, hence why we keep coming back. I like that it is a distance from town and that it attracts a more 'relaxed' traveller.

Unfortunately this year was an exception. In the past, I've brought smaller groups of 3-5 people every year. This year our group was 11 people. Obviously, it took a bit more planning. With the exception of three of us, it was all their first time visiting Zimbabwe. I wanted everything to work out. We had boasted about Victoria Falls Backpackers for months prior to our trip. I had booked our Chobe safari months ago and thankfully that worked out. About ten days before our arrival, I contacted your hostel and informed you that we would be coming a day early and that we would like to book taxis for our arrival. That was your first mishap. We arrived on the Pathfinder at the Kingdom at 10:00pm, all very tired, expecting to see taxis there to take us to your hostel. There were no taxis waiting on our arrival. The staff from pathfinder helped us sort our taxis, and we are thankful to the generous help of the Pathfinder employee for that. We arrived at your hostel late, probably 10:30 ish. We requested water on our arrival, nothing came. We found out on the next day that it's difficult to get anything after 7:00pm. I appreciate that your staff has to work long days and they need rest. At 7:10pm, on our second day there, one of our team members requested a beer from Linda. She was standing behind the counter, next to the beer. Her response, "It's after 7:00", my friend went without her beer. The other thing that we had boasted about our whole trip was our final night dinner at the Boma. This was to be a celebration dinner for all of us after volunteering three weeks in southern Zimbabwe, a reward so to speak for a lot of hard work. When I called to book the extra night and the taxis, I also booked the Boma for 11. Needless to say I was VERY disappointed to be informed on the day before that it was all booked for Saturday. The explanation was vague, saying that there were some Army people in town and that they probably booked it all. We did not see any Army presence in town. Then the owner said that a 'provisional' booking had been made, in my mind a provisional booking has to be confirmed. We ended up going to the Jungle Junction as per your recommendation, the food was good. The atmosphere was absolutely no comparison to the experience we've had at our previous visits to the Boma. So, overall this visit to your hostel was a disappointment. I do appreciate that you took care of our taxi to the airport, but unfortunately it does not make up for all the other events of our stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Maxwellvincent
Oregon
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I absolutely loved this Hostel in Victoria Falls. The accomodations were quaint and creative with swings, a very small pool, a card table, and a fire pit. YOu can really do anything (touristy) from this place. In fact, we did a helicoptor ride (recommend), a bungee jump (super recommend) and a dinner cruise (do NOT recommend - snoozer and not really worth the money). We negotiated a little bit because we got a bit better deals in town but they were accomodating and we were pleased with what we paid. Their full kitchen isnt really a full kitchen but it works. Hot showers are always great after a soaking day at the Falls! The owners are very welcoming and the male owner is a bit aggressive talking about politics of Zimbabwe and addressing his staff a little awkwardly.

It was very very inexpensive. They prefer cash (american dollars) and in fact, insist, BUT if you cant make it to the ATM, they made exceptions. It is just under a 2 KM to town so very easy walk! Linda (the kitchen cook) is FANTASTIC and stop at the free Vulture feeding at the Victoria Falls Lodge (free is always good right??) The great thing about places like this is the ability to interact with other travellers who travel similarly. The other hostel is more of a party place so its up to you on what works best for how you like to travel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed here with friends in July 2014. The location and local people were great and welcoming with lots of local activities in the immediate surrounding area. The place was very peaceful, with clean rooms and bathrooms. Unfortunately, the staff were very unhelpful with poor and inconsistent advice on the local area. Trying to get any information was uncomfortable and very difficult. The restaurant had 'apparent' opening times but trying to order food or even a coffee was always met with moaning and disgust. The owner is a very scary gentleman with anger issues who awoke us two days in a row calling for his gun to fight off baboons. He was also very rude to his own staff in front of guests which we found extremely inappropriate (and often wildly unjustified). An intimidating man. The hostel has potential but staff let it down. The only saving grace was Roger who was kind, warm and welcoming (and sane). Without him, I would label the staff as universally unhelpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Ndempster18
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My friends and I had a great time at Victoria Falls Backpackers, it is a very quiet and relaxing place, with great trees and clean swimming pool. Staff and owners are very friendly and they helped us with all logistics: transportation from/to the airport, planning interesting activities, etc. Once a week they make a dinner barbeque with several kinds of meat and crocodile as well! It was also possible to rent bikes! At night the place was calm and we could hear the surrounding nature! Now they have a mascot as well: Doofus! (see picture)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We were very happy with the information and assistance that Marina gave us during our stay here. It's quite a quirky place with lots of interesting artwork etc. The kitchen is well supplied, but you can also order meals from a limited menu which is good if you don't want to make the trip into the village. My friend had a double room to herself with an ensuite which was very comfortable. I shared a twin room which was a little small but there were a number of showers and toilets close to our room. The shower was nice and hot and the facilities were clean. Marina also gave us great advice on the activities that were available and booked them for us - easy. We especially appreciated this service when we didn't get anywhere near the same service at the place we stayed at in Livingstone!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends