“An amazing experience!”

Zambesi Horse Trails - Day Tours
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I am a teenager and I was scared to start with because I'd never ridden a horse before but it was just fantastic! They helped me onto my horse and showed me what to do, it was great, the horse was lovely, I got to ride by myself and I felt safe the whole time! My guide was excellent too and because I was on my own he offered to take a lot of pictures of me on the ride to show my family.

We went on a trail that lasted about 2 hours through the bush and along and even through some of the river! We saw Buffalo, Hippos, Elephants, Crocodiles, Fishing Eagles and lots of other birds, Waterbuck, Bushbuck, Impala and loads of Warthogs! We got extremely close to all of the animals, my guide had loads of knowledge about the animals and their natures and habitat and explained we could get closer to the animals because they feel more comfortable with the horses than they do with cars or people.

I would really recommend this to everyone, it was very exciting and I really enjoyed myself. I would definitely like to do it again!!!

2  Thank Beckkstar
in 18 reviews
in 5 reviews
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 13 August 2013

My two teenage children and I had a great time on a Horseback Safari at Victoria Falls. Our guides, Reason and Josiah were great and helped us as we are not very experienced riders.

Our ride took us through the brush and down by the Zambezi River. Along the way, we were very excited to spot a leopard in a tree with kill (an impala). the guides said that this was very rare and it ws the first leopard that they had seem on the horseback safari this season.

They took into the river and onto a small island in the river and it was great fun to ride the horses throught the water.

The only negative was the booking process, which was not done directly and the agent could not explain the difference between the experience levels.

Everything else was great.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

I am a very experienced rider - with many years of safari riding under my belt - and booked a four-hour 'experienced' ride. After a brusque talking down to from the owner - who remained on horseback throughout - I set off with another experienced rider who had booked the two-hour 'novice' ride as he was short of time. We walked around in thick bush in circles for two hours, seeing the same small group of buck, and crossing the same road and railway track several times. After two hours, the other rider was taken back to the stable and I continued, still at the walk. After 30 mins, we walked back into the yard - which we had never been very distant from. After I got off, the staff realised I should have had another 90mins and offered to take me back out. As I had seen nothing exciting in 2.5 hours, had no real change of scenery, and not got above a slow walk, I declined. Knowledgable guide, management shambles. Australian tack, most kindly described as well worn, although comfortable enough. For a price of $120, I expected much better but it was sadly typical of the rip-offs I encountered in Zimbabwe, in contrast to the professionalism on the Zambian side of Victoria Falls.

2  Thank Pingback
Reviewed 23 May 2013

My daughter and I rode middle of May 2013. It was just the two of us with two guides. My daughter rides for her job so she is great rider. Me not so good...It was probably the highlight of our two week trip to Africa. Alison has 19 thoroughbreds and they are beautiful!!! Her guides were excellent and so knowledgeable. WE truly were upclose and personal. I felt like I was one with my surroundings even though there are helicopters overhead. They do multiday trips out into the park (which is huge) . Would love to do that also someday.

1  Thank curbit
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We had booked our horse-riding afternoon safari through Wild Horizons and this was the only third-party activity we had any administrative issues with. Firstly let me say that the actual horse riding itself was outstanding – two full hours wandering through a game reserve and we encountered a large herd of buffalo, baboons and impalas galore. Being on horseback meant we could get within 10 metres of the buffalo and if I had taken a good camera would have had some really good photo’s.
However, unfortunately administrative and management issues left us with a sour experience. On arrival we encountered Alison Baker, the company owner/manager. She greeted us on horseback which made conversation difficult as either her horse was just high spirited or nervous of the nearby warthogs but it kept turning full circles making any discussion broken and interrupted. She demanded to know where the rest of our party was, we stated there was only two of us. She stated the booking was for four people, we showed her our voucher for 2 people. She stated we weren’t part of the group she was expecting and she didn’t have our booking. We showed her the voucher. She stated we had our time/dates confused. We showed her our voucher. She asked were the others were and why didn’t they come on the transfer vehicle with us. We told her we were travelling alone and didn’t know of other people’s plans. All this was done with us on the ground and her prancing around in circles on her horse. Not a good start.
She then complained about our dress – we were in shorts, long sleeved shirts and enclosed sturdy footwear having been told by Wild Horizons staff that we would get chaps/jodhpurs on arrival. She stated we wouldn’t be able to ride in shorts, we offered to go back with the transport to the hotel and get long pants (the transport was returning to collect the missing guests), she turned down that idea and commanded one of her staff get us some proper clothing. They came out with a selection of jodhpurs and chaps for us to try on; it was apparent these clothing were held ready for this specific purpose.
She then asked about our weight and stated that at 95 kg my husband breached the weight restrictions (apparently there is a 90kg limit). We told her the Wild Horizons staff hadn’t mentioned this, she stated she would ‘get them fired on the spot’. We were grilled on our previous riding experience – apparently stating we had ridden horses as kids and teenagers on a sheep farm for leisure but haven’t ridden except for once or twice in 20 years wasn’t enough for her to determine our experience level. Finally, she left and we stood around, waiting.
The other party of four turned up and they were greeted in a similar manner, however she didn’t question them about their weight (and one guy was a similar build/shape/height to my husband) and didn’t give one of the girls in short sleeves any grief when she had to be provided with a long-sleeve shirt.
What really disturbed us was her manner of dealing with and speaking to her staff (all local Zimbabwean’s). Never before in public, especially not in front of paying guests, have I heard anyone speak to other people in such a condescending way – very much ‘lady of the manor dealing with her serfs’. It was quite a shock; even worse was finding out from the Wild Horizons staff when we made a complaint that this type of attitude is still fairly common in the area.
At the end of the ride we were meant to be provided with a selection of soft drinks, beer, wine and snacks. We each got a glass of orange cordial (orange syrup with water) and two packets of potato chips / crisps were opened for the 6 of us to share. We couldn’t get a second glass of drink when requested as they had no more syrup. To top off the afternoon, our transport back to the hotel was in the rear tray of a ute; one person was in the front cab, three were on the cushions facing backwards along the cab and my husband and I got to sit on the wheel arches. We asked for a proper vehicle, or at least one with some form of seats for us and got told that there was nothing else available.
All in all, the administration and management issues left a very poor impression. We wrote a formal complaint to Wild Horizons on our return to the hotel and the following day spoke in person to the Wild Horizons manager. We were told that Alison was suffering some personal stress lately, they were sorry for our experience and we were provided with a full refund (which was outstanding as we hadn’t asked for this).

5  Thank Carrissa I