“Fantastic place to stay!!”

Victoria Falls Safari Lodge
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Victoria Falls
Lamu Island, Kenya
“Fantastic place to stay!!”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I stayed there for 4 nights and it was great. Nice breakfast, although sometimes you had to wait quite a long time to get your breakfast order served. Another thing what I don't understand is sometimes you sign what you had for breakfast. At the reception they told me the reason why is that the kitchen knows who came for breakfast. During my 4 breakfast I only signed once. So? Anyway, that's not a problem for me and I really enjoyed my stay. I live in Kenya and went to several NP's there but I still enjoyed the view to the water hole. Internet is very reasonable priced. I don't need a television on holiday but for a hotel in this price class I would expect it. the shuttle service is also very good (and necessary).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
AfricaAlbidaTourism, General Manager at Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 2 June 2013
We are delighted that you, as a Kenyan resident, have awarded us a five-star review and that you compared our waterhole favourably with lodges in Kenya. Visitors from all round the world have told us that our vista is very special, overlooking a vast stretch of raw Africa with a prolific waterhole to enjoy day and night from all public areas and from many of the 72 rooms.

We're sorry your breakfast service was a bit slow at times, but we are in the middle of a new intensive training initiative that will see this aspect dramatically improve. As part of our corporate social responsibility we only employ staff from the local community and we train them from the very basics.

As a lodge that offers peace, tranquility and harmony with nature we have made a conscious decision not to place TVs in the rooms in order to promote a relaxed and idyllic mood with as little noise disruption as possible. There is a guest TV lounge for those who do not want to miss their favourite show or a big game. Overseas guests comment very favourably about this aspect and enjoy the peace, quiet and the sounds of Africa.

Thank you for staying with us and for the favourable review.

gm@saflodge.co.zw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

After a transfer from Livingstone airport, we arrived at this most beautiful location. After a wonderfully Zimbabwean welcome we were very professionally allocated our room by Martin the very helpful Receptionist.

All rooms over-look the bush but not all have a good view of the water-hole. Request a room directly over-looking the water hole and you will see buffalo, elephant, wart hogs, baboons, and Impala. Binoculars are on hire from reception. Most of these animals wander through he grounds anyway.

All the staff were so very happy to help. The food was beautifully presented and abundant. Prices are a bit high so if you can include meals in your tariff, then i would advise to do so. A shuttle bus runs every hour into the town ( !0 mins ). Also atrip to the Boma in the evening is an absolute 'must'---- a truly wholesome African experience. In my opinion, this is far the best hotel in Victoria Falls -- the location itself is unique and the accomodation and service first-class.

Please take and leave any books to help build up the hotel library and any surplas clothes and shoes are desperately welcome by families in the town. Reception staff will advise on this. Sweets for children are good to bring. .After a very troubled past few years in Zimbabwe, the Safari Lodge has proven that the staff can make your holiday the best experience ever.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
AfricaAlbidaTourism, General Manager at Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
Your rating of our 72-room thatched lodge as "the best hotel in Victoria Falls by far" is deeply appreciated. We're proud ot the pedigree we've earned over 18 years and we are still striving to get better and better with some intensive training always on the go.

You, and other reviewers, make a good point to request a room block with the best view of the waterhole so that you may awaken to the prospect of watching animals from your private terrace...all with that amazing view of Africa stretching into the distance.

Your point on costs is taken and we are constantly working to contain them. However, all our food - and most of our drinks - are imported as we are a landlocked country. After various transport costs and duties our basic prices are always going to be a little higher.

Jontahan Hudson
Resort General
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 24 May 2013

So, you've decided to visit the Victoria Falls. Great choice!

First important point, no hotel in Victoria Falls or Livingstone that I'm aware of allows a direct view, of the falls, in detail from the premises. The closest you'll come is the Vic Falls hotel, which I would not recommend in comparison with the hotel I'm about to review.

You see, here is the thing. Vic Falls Safari Lodge (VFSL), is located at the edge of a nature reserve, overlooking a water hole. It gives you a great Africa experience with its stunning views of all sorts of animals and wildlife.

From the room, you'll have the privilege of seeing unspoilt savannah, and if you are watchful, you may even see a small herd of elephant walk by, as we did.

The good:
- Great pool area (although a heated pool would have been great)
- Vulture feedings on Saturdays (this is great, even for a boy from South Africa who is used to wildlife like me)
- Relaxed atmosphere
- Great rooms
- Wild animals on site (e.g. warthogs eating amarula fruit)
- Great views

The bad:
- Breakfast service a tad slow. I've actually discussed this with management and hopefully they will resolve the issue. Honestly though, breakfast service is quite passable, it is just annoying to spend several minutes trying to flag down a waiter. The breakfast buffet itself is great, though.
- The prices. Again, this is however a problem in the entire Vic Falls. I've been to the Vic Falls hotel as well, and it was even worse there. But yes, $22 - 24 for a specialty dish, and $15 for a normal chicken dish is steep. Not to mention $7 for a Gin & Tonic, or $10 for a cocktail. And remember boys & girls, we're talking US$!

The food was quite good - 2/3 meals was great. Though not quite the fine dine I'm used to in Gauteng, the Warthog was great, the Impala was great and the crocodile was sublime (too bad I only had a taste of this one). The guineafowl however, you may safely skip. Tough, dry and just really not worth the effort.

So, in short - this is the perfect haven for a quick getaway. Located conveniently away from the hustle and bustle, with hourly trips to Vic Falls town at quarter to every hour by transfer, it is amazing.

Oh, and don't miss the viewing spot right up (two floors) from the main dining room (Makuwa-kuwa restaurant, if I recall). It is hidden away and one easily misses the stairs leading up to it, but the view is glorious.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the waterhole (lower than room #20 and above #45 are located on the two f...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Connoisseur_Foodie
AfricaAlbidaTourism, General Manager at Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 26 May 2013
Thank you for your in-depth and probing review of The Victoria Falls Safari Lodge and for your overall rating as "the perfect haven." The glorious vista, the wildlife roaming free, the unspoiled landscape are all significant benefits for our guests and unique at Victoria Falls. However, our complimentary shuttle takes you to the buzz of the town and the falls in just 10 minutes.

Our apologies for the slow service at breakfast - maybe it was a busy period...maybe we were short a few staff on that shift.....however, that does not change the fact that customer expectations must be met. We have an on-going training programme that has been stepped up quite markedly in recent weeks and this is one area I assure you is being actively addressed.

On the pricing we do try to maintain a grip on being as cost-effective as possible and competitive within the area but the vast majority of our f&b stocks are imported, attracting duty and also road transport costs. Inevitably, as a landlocked country, we will be more expensive than South Africa.

Thank you for staying with us and for your generous comments.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I absolutely loved every second of my stay at the Vic falls safari lodge. The location is absolutely beautiful, it is untouched proper African bush. I would recommend the hotel to anyway looking to stay in the vic falls area. The lodge is out of the main town, but don’t let this get you down, as they have a super-efficient shuttle service that is free of charge and runs on the hour every hour up until 10pm. This way you get to experience the lovely town of vic falls and all the attractions, as well as retreat to the resort at night for peace and quiet. The highlight was the stunning watering hole at the resort, where every day we saw elephant, huge herds of buffalo, tons of birds, and buck. We were even lucky enough to see two hyena's. The food is excellent at the resort and all the staff, and super friendly and happy to help you. The rooms are more than adequate and have a lovely balcony looking onto the bush.(We even had buffalo outside our room) This is the resort to stay at for a truly African experience.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms close to the main resort(these include rooms 1-8) for views of the watering hole fr...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
AfricaAlbidaTourism, General Manager at Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Hello Sam
We are as proud as peacocks to receive such an enthusiastic review as yours on Trip Advisor. You mentioned all the important touch-points like our fabulous location, authentic African bush, a water hole that delights day after day and the complimentary on-the-hour shuttle service.

You will be pleased to know that we are about to refurbish and restyle all 72 rooms so we will be in even better shape for your next visit. Reviews like yours are golden to us and have enabled us to earn the Trip Advisor 2013 Certificate of Excellence, awarded to the globe's top 10 per cent of properties.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 22 May 2013

There is only one way to describe the view from Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, spectacular!!

It faces directly onto the Zambezi National Park. There is a waterhole directly in front of the main complex that is also visible from some of the lower numbered rooms (tip!). The sunsets across from the waterhole are nothing short of amazing. The waterhole is a hive of activity during the day and always has something of interest at night too. During our 3 night stay, we saw elephant, buffalo, warthog, impala and kudu; plus an array of birdlife. There was a resident Great Egret and Grey Heron that stuck around at night too. My daughter also saw two Hyenas one evening.

The lodge itself is stunning. The rooms are nice and all face westwards onto the Zambezi National Park. Apparently there is a room refurbishment plan, but we all found our accommodation to be very comfortable in the current form. There is a turn down service every night where mosquito nets are put in place, shutters are closed and bottled water is provided. Every morning just after sunrise I had a cup of tea on our room’s veranda. All three mornings I watched a herd of buffalo making their way directly in front of the room towards the watering hole. Two mornings, I had elephant directly in front of the room. The bird watching in front of the room was fantastic too.

Throughout the lodge the staff were courteous and eager to please. Service in the Makuwa-kuwa restaurant was a little slow but for us it was not an issue. The warmness of the staff, quality of the meals and the amazing view more than compensated for this! Food served at Makuwa-kuwa was a taste sensation, both breakfast and dinner.

Having stayed at resorts in the Victoria Falls Town twice before, I was a little worried that the lodge was 4km out of town. This proved to be totally unwarranted, as the lodge provides a reliable shuttle service to and from town every hour on the hour. My family loved the fact that they could return after a day out and experience a true bush experience back at the lodge.

Be sure to have dinner at the Boma Place of Eating one night when staying Victoria Falls Safari Lodge. I will write a separate review on this as it’s an experience in itself!

In summary, I can see why Victoria Falls Safari Lodge has been voted “Best safari lodge in Zimbabwe for 17 consecutive years” and is listed on the Conde Nast Travellers Gold List.

Room Tip: Pick a low number room, e.g. room 8 for a view of the waterhole.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
You say the views from our lodge are spectacular Ros...and so is your review of your stay. Thank you for such exuberance that provides a great outline for future guests and is the kind of feedback that has recently earned us the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence for 2013 - reserved for the top 10% of the world's properties!

Yes, you are right, room refurbishments will start very soon and will provide a dramatic new look and experience. I hope you will return to enjoy the new style, including aluminium glass sliding doors to the veranda.

Singapore
Reviewed 22 May 2013

My wife and I stayed at Victoria Falls Safari Lodge from 6th May 2013 for 2 nights. Our coach had dropped us at the hotel and we had to go on an elephant-back safari immediately.

When we returned from our safari, we found that one of our luggage was sent to a wrong room. The hotel reception staff was informed at 7:10 p.m. and reminded at 7:25 p.m., but nothing was done, even though I had told him that the luggage was found in Room 11. As my room was far away and had to go through a few flights of steps, I did not want to retrieve the luggage by myself because I have a back problem. The hotel reception staff had promised immediate action but no action was taken. It was only after I asked for the hotel duty manager at 7:40 p.m. that action was taken to retrieve my luggage and deliver it to my room.

Other than it was far from the reception area and have to go through a few flights of steps to reach the hotel room, I have no complaint about the hotel room, which came with a mosquito net.

Breakfast was rather limited and service was poor. Coffee took a long time to come. We had to place order for fried eggs which took a long time to come. Hotel management could have improved the situation by (a) having self-service coffee and (b) having eggs fried at the breakfast area, next to the pancake frying area.

From the hotel room or from the restaurant or bar, we could see a small lake. In the earlier part of the morning, we saw a large herd of buffaloes and some baboons. On the grounds of the hotel, many wild pigs roamed. We also saw a huge flock of vultures being fed at 1 p.m.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
AfricaAlbidaTourism, General Manager at Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Hello PerryTan (Singapore). Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Victoria Falls Safari Lodge. You did not get off to a good start with misplaced luggage and we apologise for the inordinate delay in getting it to you. This aspect has now been incorporated into our current intensive training schedules whereby reception must stay fully integrated with the guest experience at all times.

On the positive side you saw a large herd of buffaloes, among many other animals, and we hope you will appreciate that this is unique to our lodge in the Victoria Falls area as we are the only ones overlooking a waterhole and a genuine African wilderness landscape.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I have to say I did enjoy my stay at the Victoria Falls Safari Lodge. It is a magical place with outstanding views. The rooms, while a little long in the tooth were clean and served their purpose. What really disappointed was some of the staff. I really felt the staff could have been more attentive of the guests. To tell the truth, it was most notable when we went to the Victoria Falls Hotel for lunch and saw just how attentive staff in the are can be! Seems like more focus on training and supervision is needed here. The food was but not great and the bar lacked TLC that would keep people there longer. This was one of the more expensive options in the area so it should serve up to that standard. I did have a fantastic trip but I thought these suggestions would be useful.

Hello JIm.
Thanks for your review and for your overall impression that Victoria Falls safari Lodge is a magical place with outstanding views. Of course, we can't only rely on our fabulous location and all the wildlife, though these are unique in the area. It is distressing for us to learn that you did not find our staff attentive and we apologise for any aggravation.

The vast majority of reviews laud our friendly and go-the-extra-mile attitude of our staff, thus we have incorporated this as a core and strong feature of our current intensive training to ensure the guest experience always comes first and is sustained as a real distinguishing feature.

You will be pleased to learn that we are about to start a major refurbishment and restyling of all 72 rooms, including top of the range luxury beds and linen, all new decor and aluminium
/glass sliding doors to the verandas.