“Great place”

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Victoria Falls
Marietta, Georgia, United States
“Great place”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed here for two nights as parts of a Gate1 tour package in early June 2014. Overall, I was very pleased with the place.

The lodge is located inside a game preserve and you can see elephants, hogs, and other animals. Hence, it is very scenic. The other hotels that I saw are in town and you do not get the scenic view like this place.

Suprisily, the Wifi is excellent even in the rooms. I was in Room 58 which is about 70 yards from the main building. Speed was very good. I was expecting snail speed.

Breakfast is a mixture of buffet of cereal, fruits, rolls/bread. Eggs or cooked items are a la carte. You have to order via a waiter. The service is a little slow but this is Africa. You just have to accommodate for it.

Not sure if it is on a daily basis but they feed the vultures at 1pm the leftover meat. It is quite impressive wating the vulture circling above and then swarming down to get at it. I viewed from the deck in the restaurant. Some people were able to go down and get within about 50 feets of the action. I was impressed just from where I was but I am sure those people down there got an eye full.

The rooms are nice. You have a balcony with chairs which you can sit it that overlook a very scenic countryside. The beds have mosquito netting which the staff put down at night and pull up during the day. The room had a phone but do not recall a television though there may have been one in the room. I do not watch television so I not pay attention to it. The room is not totally flat. There are 3 steps you have to go up to get to the main foyer where the front door and bathroom is located. The bathroom is decent with a nice shower.

The hotel provides a continoue shuttle between the town of Victoria Falls and the lodge. It has several stops it goes to in town and goes by them on an hourly basis. From I recall the lodge is not that far from town. Probably at most a 10 minute ride to town.

The staff at the lodge were friendly and very helpful. I have limited vision and the restaurant helped me a lot in getting me to my table and getting my food. There are a lot of steps to the restaurant and within it.

FYI - Zimbabwe deals strictly in US Dollars. Everything is priced in USD and it is expected to be paid in USD. Any other currencies, such as South African Rand, British Pounds, EU, etc, are converted to USD.

There is a decent shop in the hotel though you can not negotiate the price like you can the markets in town.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Robert V
VFSL_Jonathan, General Manager at Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Robert,

Thank you so very much for your kind words on Victoria Falls Safari Lodge. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us. We have an outstanding team and happy to see it shines through to our guests.

Do come visit us again soon!!

Jonathan Hudson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Came here for three nights to see the Falls. Gorgeous setting overlooking waterhole. All rooms face waterhole. Very comfortable with mosquito netting. Great food in restaurant with full bar and African music and dancing. Bus service to town. Don't miss vulture feeding every day at 4.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your very generous review on our property. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to welcome back again some day

Best Regards
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This was not our first choice, but it should have been! A short way out of Vic Falls town so very quiet. Also amongst wild life seen at the water hole (generally only from the bar and dining areas). Renovations were a small negative - our room was very comfortable and adequate. Food was excellent. Free shuttle bus service to all places was very handy. Friendly and helpful staff. Thank you all - except for the staff member who sounded the emergency alarm at 4 am and having us all tumbling out of bed to discover it was a mistake.

Room Tip: Pay for a room giving views over the valley and the river - and maybe a chance of seeing the waterho...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Matthew L
VFSL_Jonathan, General Manager at Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Matthew

Thank you for your lovely comments on our property. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your visit.

We sincerely hope to see you again soon for another visit.

Best Regards
san francisco
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the lodge as part of a Vic Falls extension to a South Africa tour. The room and bathroom were extremely dated. The biggest issue we had was that the sliding doors on the balcony were not completely sealed so that bugs and mosquitoes could get in the room. Make sure not to turn on too many lights after dusk or the bugs will find their way in. The highlight of the hotel is definitely the watering hole. We loved sitting at the bar and restaurant and watching the animals. The food at the restaurant was really good, but very expensive and expect to pay US prices. The lodge was conveniently located and only a short ride to the waterfalls. Overall, the lodge was extremely overpriced for what we got and felt they were taking advantage of a captive tourist audience. In retrospect, for the amount of money we already had paid, we should have just paid the extra fee to upgrade to the Club level.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank knsf
Many thanks for taking your time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

We apologize that we did not perhaps meet all your expectations. Since your visit in December 2013, you will be glad to know that we are in the process of renovating all 72 Hotel rooms, which we expect to be complete by the end of July. We're taking out the bath tubs and replacing with large walk-in rain showers; we're moving the room out 1m which we'll take out of the balcony and we're installing glass and aluminium sliding doors and curtains. The new screen doors are insect-proof and will keep the bugs out provide they are kept closed.
Everything will be more modern with a more luxurious finish.

Zimbabwe is landlocked and we must import 90% of our food and beverage to keep up to international standards. This not only attracts duty for most items but we must also add the considerable transport costs from either Harare or Bulawayo or, indeed, from outside our borders. We try to keep our prices to as reasonable as possible.

We appreciate the feedback as this can only assist us in improving our service to our guests.

Hopefully you will visit us again sometime in the future

Yours Sincerely
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This hotel was opened in 1995 and currently undergoing renovations. We were initially placed in the 'unrenovated side with no view of the waterhole'. It was very dated, shower squeezed into corner of bathroom. Very disappointed after the quality of accommodation in South Africa. We asked to moved and this occurred without any fuss.
If booking I would recommend that you stipulate you want to a room in the renovated area.

To the management - finish the renovations real quick.
The view from the bar and restaurants over the waterhole great but it was really good to sit on our balcony and watch the watering hole.

The Boma evening was really enjoyable.

It is about a 20 min walk from Victoria Falls, however, there is a shuttle bus into Victoria Falls.

Victoria Falls was fantastic and really enjoyed the 25 min helicopter ride.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the waterhole and a renovated room. Lots of stairs to walk up and down.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank roXxy105
Dear Roxxy

Thank you for your very perceptive review on Victoria Falls Safari Lodge.

The good news is that all 72 rooms are in the process of being totally refurbished and redesigned right now and all will be complete by the end of July. We're taking out the bath tubs and replacing with large walk-in rain showers with more room. Everything about the rooms will be more modern and much lighter.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your evening at the Boma,

We sincerely hope you will visit us again and have a feel of the new rooms.

NYC
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I was a little bit hesitant traveling to Zimbabwe on my own as a 26-year-old woman, but I'm so glad I did. The Victoria Falls Safari Lodge was absoutely AMAZING - one of the highlights of my whole trip to Africa. My room had a balcony overlooking the watering hole where I would just sit for hours with binoculars and watch the animals come and go. I saw buffalo, warthogs, baboons, impala, and more! The food and drinks at the hotel restuaurant and bar were great, and the service was wonderful. All of the staff was especially friendly and I especially enjoyed the man in costume at the entrance who greeted you. There's also a vulture feeding at 1 p.m. which is both thrilling and kind of gross. They also give you plenty of complimentary water bottles which is important too. The Activity Desk was also helpful in booking additional excursions around the area.

The only two cons were that (1) the food was really expensive and (2) it felt a little bit dangerous to walk back to the room in the dark with all of the animals everywhere, but it made it more exciting. I also wish they had a list of what animals you might see at the watering hole.

I would absolutely recommend staying at the Victoria Falls Safari Lodge on your next trip to Zimbabwe.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Kristen S
VFSL_Jonathan, General Manager at Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear Kristen

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Victoria Falls Safari Lodge and that you enjoyed the room and the services we provide.

Thank you for staying with us and for recommending Victoria Falls Safari Lodge to your friends, this is greatly appreciated.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed at Victoria Falls Safari Lodge for 4 nights over Easter 2014 before doing a 10-day safari tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa. From the moment I arrived, the staff treated me like a valued guest, and were always friendly and helpful. In particular, I must thank Joy for going above and beyond the call of duty to sort out the problems I was having with my tour company.
My room was well sized with an old world charm but in need of a little TLC such as repainting and replacing the balcony doors so they shut properly to keep out the resident monkeys and baboons. Most rooms have a view of the nearby waterhole.
While the lodge is a bit of a distance from town and the falls, there's a regular, free shuttle bus and the national park location means you come across a variety of wild animals while walking on the grounds. It was an awesome experience to see elephants, giraffe and impala for the first time from the restaurant overlooking the waterhole. Watching staff feed vultures was equally exciting.
I enjoyed all my meals at the lodge, particularly those at the restaurant. My compliments to the chef.
As a solo traveller I really appreciated the free wifi throughout the complex as I could keep in touch with family and friends.
Of all the places I stayed in Africa, Victoria Falls Safari Lodge was my favourite.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the waterhole.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank AndieGee
Dear Andi

Thank you so very much for your kind words on Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, and rating our property as your favourite. We are delighted to hear that you found our staff to be always friendly and helpful, and that you enjoyed our vista of the African landscape and the animals at the waterhole.

We hope to welcome you back again soon