“Stopped in for dinner and to watch rafting video”

Shoestrings Backpackers Lodge
Seattle, Washington
“Stopped in for dinner and to watch rafting video”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Very fun atmosphere, great food and drink prices. My wife and I had a pizza (ok) and then hung out having a few drinks while we watched the white water rafting video from our activity earlier in the day. The staff are very friendly and you feel welcome from the moment you walk in. We did not stay at the lodge, but would recommend to anyone looking for food and drink in a place that is less commercial (and with better prices) than most other places in Vic Falls.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Korean first
Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have stayed here a few times and have always had a fantastic stay.

On my most recent trip we camped and the campsite is in a great location because it is right near the rooms and restaurant. The lodge was full at the time but we never had to queue for showers there are plenty and they were clean always had hot water. Security was fantastic and kept an eye on all our stuff.

Shoestrings is in the perfect location, it is peaceful and quiet but just around the corner from Vic Falls town. The food is delicious, great value and variety, we used the communal kitchen most of the time which is kept clean and has everything necessary for cooking. The evenings are very relaxed and sociable with a good mix of locals and tourists. The staff were lovely and always approachable and friendly. Also has a gorgeous garden with little art stalls and a spa. Definitely recommend Shoestrings to anyone!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My husband and I stayed in a private en suite room here for 4 nights. The atmosphere is good, we enjoyed sitting out by the bar during down time. I don't think the music was as loud as some are complaining, but I travel with ear plugs anyways. I enjoyed the music. My comments would be that yes the rooms aren't super clean, you must supply your own hand soap and towel, and none of the rooms are lit very well, the hot water pressure is iffy which causes temperature fluctuation, but they are cheap and comfortable enough and I didn't expect anymore than I got. We enjoyed the kitchen a lot, yes it was a bit pricy but the food was good. Internet is cheap but not free ($5 for 200mb). Easy 3 min walk to grocery store, 20 min walk to the Falls entrance. Animal lovers, friendly dogs and cats on site =]

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I travelled to the falls on my own and was therefore slightly nervous. Shoestrings was welcoming and could answer all of my questions. The staff were all friendly, especially the bar staff who worked during the evenings. I always felt safe at the lodge and I will definitely be returning with or without friends in the future. For any parent who has doubts about sending their child off travelling alone, send them to Shoestrings.

• Stayed September 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I agree with previous reviews about facilities. The bathrooms aren't too clean, kitchen has hardly any equipment, and the music goes on until midnight every night. But unlike a lot of backpackers which have the same features, this one is at least cheap! It''s significantly less than any other ones to camp ($5 per person), and on that basis I was pretty happy. Location also v central, and staff are helpful.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This is a good backpackers, reasonably priced (for Zimbabwe!) and within walking distance of Victoria falls national park. The food was ok, though a bit overpriced and the kitchen was pretty poor - felt a bit dirty and not enough gas stoves. The bar was good, quite lively, particularly at weekends - so make sure your room is well out of the way. They will book your activities for you, but so will everyone else in town, so maybe best to shop around. There are sellers allowed on site that don't hassle you too much. Locals flood the bar drinking which makes for a good atmosphere but not really a backpackers vibe at night. They have DSTV which is great if you're English and want to watch us beat the Australians at whatever sport is happening at the time you are visiting. Overall, very good, but not perfect.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Viterbo, Italy
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I'm not a backpacker, but I'm quite happy to accept basic facilities. The place looked attractive, colourful and fun. The rooms we were given were not. Our group had four rooms in all, but one double room was unusable because the smell of mould (the mould was visibly growing up all round from the base of the shower) was so strong that none of us could stay in the room for more than a few minutes. My room had a shower which only provided a fine trickle of intermittently hot/cold water. Even when set to just cold water, the volume of water did not increase. There was no mirror of any kind. Another room had the door which rattled throughout the night.
The noise from the bar reaches most of the site, but that's not a problem - I'd expect that for a backpacker's place! However, for a similar price I could have stayed at the campsite down the road with impeccably clean bathrooms (We went for breakfast and checked it out). Go to the backapcker lodge for the party atmosphere, and book elsewhere if you like reasonably clean washing facilities!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends