“Holiday kingdom”

Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Victoria Falls
Helsinki, Finland
“Holiday kingdom”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

During my stay (Oct 2012) at the Kingdom it help lovely to find all my needs covered in the same surroundings. I enjoyed the breakfast there, lunch occasionally, the shop several times and the concierge to book the helicopter ride. Wonderful service.

Room Tip: Did not use fitness center nor spa, cannot rate them. The pool was wonderful.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Virpi-2000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I had booked for the hotel in December, spent over R10 000 on accommodation. I was travelling up from South Africa, Durban, & from the start, we had bad experiences. We were unfortunately not allowed in through the border due to some unforseen circumstances, (in which we also almost got robbed, or who knows what), we returned home. but notified the hotel immediately( a day before the booking) that we were unable to use the accommodation. & guess what? My money got forfeited... ridiculous. mind you I've spent 3years of my life saving up for this trip... and its all gone down the drain. Never again will I come to the Kingdom hotel...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Cassidy M
Toowoomba, Australia
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My wife and I were glad with the Kingdom experience overall. The room was great, the place remains a nice place to stay and its location is ideal. The only draw back was the breakfast which was too expensive and not that good. Overall we were very happy and glad we stayed at The Kingdom hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 31 January 2014

The hotel was quiet and the food was great, but there were quite a few bugs and spiders throughout the room. The mosquito netting was necessary because of the amount of bugs that were present throughout the night. The internet also was down in the part of the hotel I was in so you had to go all the way to the lobby to be able to use it. I wanted to go to the casino but there was no one in there so I chose to hang out elsewhere.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We had a pleasant enough 2-night stay at The Kindgom recently but I must admit to struggling to know what rating to give. Love the concept behind the Hotel but I'm not sure it works 100%.

The good:

Location: Definitely A+. 5-6 minute walk to the Falls and most other points of interest in town.

Service: Apart from check-in absolutely no complaints. The staff in general could not do enough for us. Just about everyone we encountered greeted us warmly, wishing us a good stay.

The main building and pool area: Fantastic. Loved the concept of the downstairs open-air dining area.

Breakfast buffet: Excellent. A good range of options, including eggs and pancakes made to order. An excellent selection of fruits, both cooked and fresh. Plenty of service staff on hand. Can't comprehend comments in a previous review referring to "horrible food". Definitely not our experience.

The not so good:

Check-in: Chaotic. Took much longer than it needed to.

Price: Expensive - more than I've paid for a hotel room in a very long time. Have stayed in better Hotels 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

The room: A standard double - large and comfortable enough but given the price not good value. None of the little extras you'd expect (eg. no fridge).

Beyond the main building: The hotel becomes something of a rabbit warren of identical walkways, passages and staircases. Navigation was an issue.

The attached casino complex: A tacky addition that does nothing for the Hotel. Near empty on the one occaison we went inside. It would seem many others agree. Avoid the restaurants in this area, much better is available outside.

Conclusion:

Kingdom is far from the best Hotel in VF but it is one of the very few mid-range options with a central location. It's probably worth staying here for that fact alone. Just don't base your expectations on the room price (as I must admit I did). The better places rise statospherically in price from what is charged here, in some cases up to twice as much.

Room Tip: Specify a room in the main building if you want to avoid longish walks and navigation issues.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CBK23
UAE
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I really don't know where to start with this review.

The hotel was built to be iconic at the onset. Unfortunately it's not receiving the care and attention it deserves. All furniture at the lobby require refilling and reupholstering. The housekeeping staff need to pay more attention to cleaning. Furniture top are annoyingly sticky to the touch. Very annoying!

The dining staff should be more mindful of making a racquet when guests are trying to have a quiet meal together. It's not nice to see staff loitering about talking loudly, etc.. Most of the time, my cutlery were very dirty, so much so I took pictures of them on several occasions, but I'm too nice to upload them. The food variety was great for a meal or two. By the 3rd time you needed something different. Maybe the hotel should consider varying meal plans per day - Italian night, Mediterranean night, Mexican, grill night, etc.. ? The attached Spur and Panagiotis restaurants are just abysmal, not to be visited.

We were thrown to the back of complex on the ground floor - far from anything. It required a good 5mins walk to get to the room, so you don't want to forget anything. The room was adequate but extremely dark. The fittings and fixtures were in need of maintenance (shower, tap, door handles, etc..). The room needed a good dose of spring cleaning. I don't think the housekeeping crew did more than make the beds. No spare paper in the toilet on one occasion, we needed to use our own personal supply of nose wipes when we ran out in the middle of our "business".

And lets not talk about the air-conditioning - it was like sleeping with your head on a locomotive.
Each night coming to the room to retire required us fighting huge bugs buzzing around the corridors from accompanying us into our room. Surely the FM crew should know night time was problematic and required more targeted and routine action (=daily spraying/pest control)?!?

The attached casino is in a sorry state.

That said, the hotel staff were nice, warm and friendly, as can be expected from Africa. The location is certainly 5* and within walking distance to the falls.

I could go on and on, but I won't. We did not enjoy staying in this hotel and thankfully had our days packed with activities we did not need to be around it much.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for room in the main reception building and not the ground floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank AwesomeThings
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed 20 January 2014

The hotel is pretty big. While our stay there was a conference and we had to wait for coffee for 15 minutes. Food was OK. We had our dinner twice at the pizza place next to the hotel entrance.
We had mosquito nets in our room, but still got bitten. If not MALARONE tablets who knows if we got Malaria or not. Room is clean but not cosy at all. Wi-fi is only in the lobby. Huge advice: If you come to Victoria Falls, go to helicopter tour and don`t be sorry for you money. Don`t It`s only 5 minutes, but you`ll have amasing view and great photos.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor. I think on the first there could have been less mosquitos
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family