“Good Hotel”

The Kingdom at Victoria Falls
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Victoria Falls
“Good Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

We spent 2 days in Victoria falls on a mini trip whilst in Ballito, South Africa. Victoria
Falls airport is tiny but kind of adds to the adventure of arriving in Zimbabwe. The airport is tiny, we was thinking about buying a camera at the airport!!!!! No chance. We only needed a single entry visa, but given the size of the line waiting for a single entry visa, it was worth paying the extra $20 to wait in the double entry visa line and get through much quicker.
The transfer to the hotel was quick and relatively simple.

On arrival at the Kingdom, the reception and porter staff were friendly and efficient. We were shown to our room, which was a little dark but generally very clean. Room had a decent view of the pool area which was a pleasant environment. We only ate at the hotel one of the nights during our stay, but the food was generally good. The meal was a buffet so we served ourselves. Waiters were good and cleared away our plates and bought our drink quickly. The breakfast also wasn't too bad, again buffet style. Can't remember the guys name at the pool side bar, but he was very friendly, always had a smile and always made conversation with me.

I would have preferred to have been able to stay in a double bed with my partner, but I did some research into LGBT right in Zimbabwe, and we agreed a twin soon would be better. Whilst not ideal, the twin room was a small price to pay in order to witness the awesome Victoria Falls a few minutes walk away.

*********EVERYONE BE ADVISED***********

There is a 'private path' at the back of the hotel leading to the falls. Sadly the path was full of people trying to sell us gifts. The sellers were very persistent and will pester you all day long, some might say its part of the Africa experience. Sadly on one occasion we had one seller following us around a lot of the day and was becoming very forceful. Unfortunately he did make a suggestion to us, as we walked back to the hotel along the path, that he could pull out a gun and take our money and belongings. I don't believe for a second he had a gun but I never looked back to confirm this. Certainly got my heart racing. I think a couple of tourist police officers on that path would be ideal.

The tourist police in Victoria are numerous and mostly helpful and friendly. I certainly felt a lot more comfortable when there was more police around.

Everyone visiting Victoria should eat at the Boma restaurant at the Victoria Falls Safari Lodge. The helpful staff at guest services (the Kingdom) will arrange your reservation and transfer to and from the Boma. It's about $120 to go to the Boma, including the transfer, but worth every $.

In summery, nice hotel and staff, just beware of the local sellers on the street.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martkirkham
kingdomsalesmgr, Guest Relations Manager at The Kingdom at Victoria Falls, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Sir or Madam

Thank you for the review you posted on your stay at The Kingdom at Victoria Falls
We are happy to know that your stay was enjoyable, from the friendliness and efficiency of staff to the view from your room. We continuously endeavor to provide meaningful moments to all valued guests.
We have noted your concerns regarding the sellers that pestered you on your way to the Victoria Falls and will make such incidents known to the Tourism Authorities.
We do hope to see you back at the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Nice and great hotel. I am here for about 4 days and the moment we arrived there is a African dance. It is accessible place and you can walk to all the nearby shop where you can bargain. The place is really protected. There are a lot of sales people asking you to buy their craft nearby and is up to you to negotiate. Security is very tight here. Good place

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Sir or Madam

We were gratified to read your review on your stay at The Kingdom at Victoria Falls.

It is pleasing to note that the location of the hotel was a convenience to you in regards to accessibility and that you enjoyed the African dancers at check in.
Kind regards

Guest Relations Manager
edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

I married a Zimbabwean gal, shes black I am white. I am from Canada

Been to the kingdom twice.

Nice place, was offered free super my last night, (120 dollar value)

as well we had free breakfast every day.

Over the top, very big, very quiet.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dogeatsdog
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

During my stay (Oct 2012) at the Kingdom it help lovely to find all my needs covered in the same surroundings. I enjoyed the breakfast there, lunch occasionally, the shop several times and the concierge to book the helicopter ride. Wonderful service.

Room Tip: Did not use fitness center nor spa, cannot rate them. The pool was wonderful.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Virpi-2000
Durban, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

I had booked for the hotel in December, spent over R10 000 on accommodation. I was travelling up from South Africa, Durban, & from the start, we had bad experiences. We were unfortunately not allowed in through the border due to some unforseen circumstances, (in which we also almost got robbed, or who knows what), we returned home. but notified the hotel immediately( a day before the booking) that we were unable to use the accommodation. & guess what? My money got forfeited... ridiculous. mind you I've spent 3years of my life saving up for this trip... and its all gone down the drain. Never again will I come to the Kingdom hotel...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Cassidy M
Toowoomba, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

My wife and I were glad with the Kingdom experience overall. The room was great, the place remains a nice place to stay and its location is ideal. The only draw back was the breakfast which was too expensive and not that good. Overall we were very happy and glad we stayed at The Kingdom hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

The hotel was quiet and the food was great, but there were quite a few bugs and spiders throughout the room. The mosquito netting was necessary because of the amount of bugs that were present throughout the night. The internet also was down in the part of the hotel I was in so you had to go all the way to the lobby to be able to use it. I wanted to go to the casino but there was no one in there so I chose to hang out elsewhere.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business