“Wonderfull!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Pretoria, South Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Wonderfull!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

Firstly the Staff at Wild Horizon must be complimented!!! We did the White River rafting, and though we could only do a limited amount of rapids because of the high water it was fantastic!!! It was my first rafting trip and our guide and the other staff members was very patient, and extremely well informed.. it is not just a job to them, its their passion which make all the difference. We bought the CD with photos which is very high quality!
Just remember you have to climb in and out of the gorge, still more than worth it.
We also did the gorge swing which was terrifying and amazing!!! Again the staff was great and the experience not to be missed.
Their shuttle service was on time every time and the Drivers very helpful with the border crossing and other info.
We will be going back to do the rafting at lower water to get the full experience!!!

Visited February 2013

MA
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“White water rafting is a definite must-do!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

Adventure-seekers, be sure to give white water rafting on the Zambezi a go. It was a lot of fun and you'll have epic bragging rights!

Wild Horizons' rafting was a decent price, had very nice and knowledgeable river guides, and their equipment was well maintained. The second half of the Zambezi that we rafted was a good mix of easy and hard rapids. Our raft ended up flipping completely over on #16 (I think) and while I thought I'd freak, I never did because they'd done a good job of giving us clear safety instructions and even having us practice getting in & out of the raft before we set off. (Something my previous WWR experience in the USA didn't have us do.)

The only thing that was ridiculous about the whole experience isn't even something Wild Horizons or anyone could really control - the hike OUT of the gorge. It was darn steep (almost 1,000 vertical feet up) and crazy hot, all while holding/wearing your helmet, life jacket, and paddle! We had lunch and beers waiting for us at the top and I suggest you do the same. ;)

Visited December 2012
Cape Town
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Don't miss the rafting, and be sure to choose to paddle! The "just hold on" boat is the sunset cruise by comparison.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

We had a brilliant trip with Wild Horizons. This is meant to be some of the world's best white water rafting, and the size of the standing waves you come up against has to be experienced - serious adrenalin levels! Wild Horizons was slick and professional, and the guides were great. We had Colgate, who seemed pretty stern at first, but drilled us all pretty thoroughly, so we could come through (almost) all the rapids with some ruthless military efficiency, and relax and fool about in between.
Highly recommended. I loved it - a hugely fun day out, and the biggest Vic Falls tick point after viewing them from above.

Babylon, New York
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“The real white water”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012 via mobile

I was on a tour through Southern Africa and was suggested this adventure tour company by our guide.

Booking: This was a quick and simple process. Credit card machines are finicky in Zimbabwe so be prepared to visit the ATM if needed. (That day it didn't work for me, but did for others). Was able to book at 4:30 pm and go white water rafting and bungee jumping the next day.

Rafting: Picked up at our camp grounds around 6am and our shuttle went to a few other hotels to pick up some others. (It is apparently a popular place)

Tea, coffee and snacks at our instructional location where we filled out paperwork and got our safety instructions. We also got to meet our guide , Blessing (how fitting) as well as our group leader, Colgate. Apparently they select their names because we probably slaughter their given names.

Driven about 30 min to our drop site. Are given our gear- a rash guard, life jacket, and paddle. We then hike down a steep gorge to the boats. First order of business- safety drill. Aka everyone fall out of the boat and he helps you climb back in.

Rapids were larger than I've ever done (well east coast U.S. -not saying much) and super fun. Do people fall out? Yea- two fell out on our raft because of rapids and two more because Colgate joined our boat and threw people off! (All in good fun- i was one of them!) Did boats completely flip, yes- but I'm unsure if it was guide fun or paddler error.

End of our ride was a climb back out of the gorge. Yea tiring and steep, but not impossible. We had 3 younger girls and one grandmother in our group from our tour- along with much younger teenagers and a dad. So not too crazy athletically.

Lunch was yummy! Fried chicken, rice, salads. Beer and sodas. Quick ride home with beers in tow.

Recommendations- have "sports sandals" no flip flops, you'll never make it in or out of the gorge alive with those. We went in winter,I wore bathing suit and shorts. I brought along a towel and t-shirt for later (they put your stuff in both a dry bag-for emergency stuff on board, and a larger container for clothing and such) . Tip your guides-they deserve it and they're awesome!

Bungee- a very simple process. Go to bridge (check in at immigration to cross bridge) Sign in at the lodge in Zambia, sign paperwork, get weighed and marked (they put your weight in kgs and your number on your arm). Walk back to bridge- get strapped in, jump. Pretty simple. A guy lowers himself to bring you back up.

Met an awesome guy named Tomato on the bridge and in his great words "screaming is for.free".

Have an amazing time, take great pictures and bring home life-long memories of the phenomenal country of Zimbabwe and its people!

1 Thank MrsKnicki
Miami
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“2 tours, both were excellent!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

We recently did the Wild Horizons Chobe River Safari and the Zambezi white water rafting. The Chobe trip was excellent and well organized including pickup, border crossings, tours, lunch and drop offs. Chobe was great as we were able to see tons of wildlife everywhere. The white water rafting was insanely fun! Definitely not for the faint of heart as there is a 90% chance you will end up in the water, but Wild Horizon's standard for safety and professional guides ensure that, while you might be terrified, you will be safe and will love every minute of it. Two things they don't tell you in the sales-pitch though (and is what prevents me from giving them 5 stars instead of 4) is 1) It is highly recommended you be in some sort of decent shape before committing to this tour as you have to hike down the gorge (no easy feat), raft for 5 hours then hike UP the mountain using stairs carved out of rock, dirt and tree limbs...that was brutally exhausting. I consider myself to be in slightly above average shape and it took me about 30-40 minutes and that was GASPING for air. it took one girl a couple hours, she missed the lunch. #2) was you're not told you MUST have some sort of footwear for this part of the tour. Luckily we spoke to a few people that had gone the day before and they warned us about this and i managed to buy an overpriced pair of knock-off sandals that didn't fit me properly but definitely saved my rear!!! Unless you've got leather soles on your feet (as the locals do as they were climbing the rocks barefooted), i suggest packing a pair of sandals that strap to your feet or a pair of watershoes that can get wet. Despite those couple of issues, the rafting experience is truly amazing!

Visited August 2012