“Loved it!”

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Went with 3 friends. The staff were very helpful. Clearly explained all the safety rules and we were kitted out with the appropriate equipment.

There was a long walk down the gorge from where we were dropped by the truck, the paddle was a good walking stuck for balance, you definitely should wear trainers for the whole trip. People struggled going down the gorge in flip flops.

At the bottom we got in our rafts. Hippo was our guide and he was great. We were the only boat on the trip to completely flip and all fall out! But we were all well looked after and safely back in our raft. What a great experience. I loved it. Way bigger rapids than when I went rafting on the kicking horse river last august in Canada!

The end was the hardest part - walking up the gorge to the top again when you're already worn out from the rafting. They provided bottles of water to keep you going. At the top was a big selection of food with a BBQ for lunch.

There was also local people who had set up little market stalls, willing to trade clothes instead of money for the items they had saved.

The truck ride back was a little bumpy as on rough track roads but you go past the local villages.

They also had dry bags for your spare clothes/towel or whatever, and a waterproof big box for valuables like phones.

Lots of photos and video were taking throughout the trip.

Israel
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Exciting”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is an exiting experience worth doing!
I had no plans on doing this - since I was quite scared - I was convinced by other guests at Gorge's lodge that it was well worth the time and money ($140). I did not regret it.
I will also like to thank the Wild Horizon team - I came with no shorts and some one from the staff went home at 07:00 AM to get me a spare set of his to use - Thanks!
I did the rafting in mid dry season - August 2014.
I was picked up from Gorge's Lodge at 06:30 AM taken to Wild Horizon's office in town.
From there we got on an open truck that began picking up people from the different hotels.
At the end they brought us to a site where they gave orientation and also promoted the zip lines that they have at this site.
We drove from there to the drop off point where we got our vests, wet suit shirt, helmets and oars.
From there their is a very steep and lengthy (35 minute) descent to the Zambesi river.
We got into the boats (8 people per boat) and did some practice as a team in rowing and getting in and out of the raft. Our guide was Colgate and Hippo a great team!
Off we went for a rollercoaster ride. - It was great! At one point we almost flipped and the two people in the front lost there balance and found themselves in the rapids.
No safety issues - we picked them up down stream - the supporting kayaks kept a sharp eye and escorted them.
Some important points to consider:
1. Take warm clothes for the truck ride - it is cold in the morning. You can leave the clothes with the staff and get them back when you return.
2. You should have on the raft just clothes and shoes that will be soaked and dirty at the end. No valuables, money phones, jewelry etc.... All can be deposited before going on the raft when you get your life jackets.
3. Put plenty of sun screen 50 SPF water proof, so you do not get burned by the sun.
4. They supply very little water - I suggest taking an extra bottle per person and giving it to the guide - you will need the water when you ascend from the river at the end.
5. If you have a go-pro - take it with you and make sure that you have at least two added safety lines - it will fly from your helmet in the first wave.
6. The ascent from the river is brutal! It is at 13:00 temperature peak and very steep and long (40 minutes). Take your time - there is no rush! Take water with you for the ascent ( the extra bottle I mentioned earlier).
7. Clothing - shorts are fine and short sleeve shirt take any sort of sandals or shoes that can get soaked and will not get lost when you fly out of a flipped raft. You can't go barefoot since the descent and ascent require shoes - steep and rocky.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank Manny K
London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Amazing thrill filled adventure!”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

As an adventurous couple we were strongly advised by friends that this was the only way to experience the Zambezi and they weren't wrong. Colgate and his team took a group of first-time rafters and converted them into a slick team who made it through the rapids exhilarated and amazingly unscathed! The adrenaline rush was amazing, the crocs spectating on the banks wouldn't dare face these waters, but with excellent instruction we did!

Visited July 2014
Cape Town
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Professional and thrilling!”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Never thought I'd ever do it but wholly glad I did! Loved it from start to finish. The view from the Wild Horizons Lookout is spectacular and I would have paid just for that! We did the half day rafting trip but would have loved to have done the full day, even the 5 day. June was a perfect time for me - not as ridiculously rough as it is later in the year. Great spirit in the guides and well organised, especially the photos and video filming! Thank you!

Visited June 2014
Sydney, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Whitewater Rafting”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Well organised and great value for money! Whilst my partner and I were probably twice the age of the next oldest participants we really enjoyed this experience. It was great fun and really well organised and taking over 5 hours in total was good value for money.

The walk back up the gorge at the end of the rafting is quite a challenge - but well worth the effort.

Visited January 2014