“Not up to "Preferred Hotels & Resorts" standards”

Talatona Convention Hotel
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Luanda
Dublin, California
“Not up to "Preferred Hotels & Resorts" standards”
Reviewed 30 November 2011

I was delighted when I checked in to find a complementary 1.5 liter bottle of water. Usually, in countries where you should not drink the water, I find two 0.5 liter bottles, but some hotels only provide 0.5 liters per person. The next evening, I was dismayed when I returned from a long day to find that the water had not been replenished. I checked the minibar and found it contained nothing. Often in countries where you can't drink the water the minibar contains more "free" bottled water and expensive mineral water.

I called the front desk, who said that I had to speak to housekeeping and transferred me. Housekeeping said that you only got free water on the day you checked in. I called the front desk and asked to speak to the manager. The manager told me that was their policy. I said that was ridiculous in a country where the water would make me sick. And that in almost 30 years to traveling the world on business, I had never encountered a hotel of this type in a country where the water was not potable that didn't provide any free water. It was only when I complained about paying about $20 for water the night before in the a la carte restaurant when I asked for "bottled water." I had been careful not to ask for "mineral water." Then she agreed send the water up free, but I guess I will find out when I see the bill.

Food in Angolan hotels is notoriously expensive. Breakfast is usually excellent and bundled with the night's stay, but other meals are astronomical. The bill for an octopus (appetizer) salad and the "bottled water" was over $50 with about $20 of that for the water. When I ordered the waitress said in a tone that sounded like I was asking for a single cracker, "Is that all?" Without asking my water preference they poured from a large bottle of Voss. I came no where close to drinking it all and they didn't offer me the remainder.

Breakfast was very good.

Besides being stingy with the water, they are parsimonious with towels and toiletries. While I had housekeeping on the phone from the "water" issue, I asked if it was there policy to only provide toiletries on the day of check-in. They claimed it was!!!!

There was the usual card about replacing towels on the floor but not on the rack. The room initially had one hand towel and 2 very nice fluffy bath towels and a bath mat. The second night, there were no hand towels and one of the used bath towels that had been on the floor was folded and placed on the edge of the tub. There was what appeared to be one new towel on the rack and the bath mat looked fresh.

The bed was comfortable. There was no card asking about changing the linens and the linens were not changed.

There was lots of "Preferred Hotels and Resorts" literature in the room and in the book, the hotel (which is a little over a year old) was listed as a new member. The chain claims to be 5 stars, but not by my standards.

The wake-up call was 15 minutes late. When I requested the wake-up call, the front desk had trouble understanding my request for 6:30. Finally, I said, "half past six". Based on the verbal exchange, I set my cell phone alarm and it wakened me on time.

The staff in on the front desk and in the a la carte restaurant have trouble understanding English. The first night the front desk could not understand the request for a 6:30 wake up call and I had to say "half past six." The second night "half past six" didn't work and I had to say 6:30. In the a la carte restaurant it took 3 people before someone had sufficient English to confirm that they were the only a la carte restaurant and the coffee shop was only buffet.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank EveSp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
UK
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Considering how recently Luanda has started acquiring international standard hotels, this place is the best bet for business or leisure hotels. The hotel is in a guarded complex in the new southern section of the city, on a good day 35 minutes from the airport. Excellent rooms, great beds with pillow-top mattresses, spotlessly clean, very good service from the hotel staff (Daniel the cappuccino guy in the cafe especially so) , two good restaurants (the Italian upstairs is very good with very attentive staff), a fantastic gym and business centre, and free wi-fi in the public areas and free broadband in the rooms are all pluses. Points to note (it would be wrong to say bad points as these are mostly features of Luanda generally and I definitely don't mark the hotel down because of them):

- the hotel does not take Amex and telephone reservations can only be done with Visa

- the driving in Luanda is pretty reckless, and the drivers running the hotel's airport transfers are no exception: get comfortable with doing 160kph along Samba Road (it's a 30kph zone), and pray to whichever Being you feel closest to

- the hotel is expensive, over $650 per night for a double room, and food is also expensive by international standards but it is the best in town so is entitled to charge for that

- the printers in the business centre are networked and don't always work, so if you are trying to print out your boarding pass and can't, you will get bumped to the slow check-in queue when you get to the airport. Always make sure you carry a print of your e-ticket as you cannot get through the pre check-in security without it

- the Hotel is quite a way from the airport, and by 0600 the traffic is hell. To indicate, one of us left the hotel at 0515 and got to the airport by 0600, the other left at 0615 and got to the airport at 0900. Nothing to do at the airport, but better leave early than miss the flight.

Room Tip: Be on the west side, as the generators are on the other side and when the power cuts out, they can b...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Rooinek
Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I stayed 2 nights in this hotel. very big, quite clean and the staff is friendly enough (especially the restaurant breakfast staff). However, communication was an issue calling room service. I had to wait more than an hour for someone to come collect my clothes for urgent pressing; that's after spending more than 5 minutes explaining what I needed.
The meeting room we used was top class and the coffee break was rich and fresh.
Internet was pretty good.
The hotel is quite far from the airport though and expensive.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I’ve been here for 3 times in the past 3 weeks. The first time I had a minor problem with the AC in my room, that wasn’t changing the temperature. The second time, the shower didn’t have hot water, so I had to complain 4 times and wait for almost 4 hours until I had finally my room changed. My main complain, though, was regarding the way one of the front desk ladies dealt with the problem, displaying complete lack of interest, which really pissed me off. Then, when I got to the other room, only half of the lights in the bathroom were working. I didn’t complain, after all, I had hot water in the shower there. On the third time, which was 5 days after my last check in in this hotel, they put me in the same room that had no hot water in the shower. I went straight to the bathroom to check if the problem was fixed, and it wasn’t. So I had to change rooms again.
Apart from my problems with the rooms, there are some other things that could also be better. The internet is sometimes very fast, but sometimes it doesn’t work. The gym is filled with equipment, but it’s crammed. And don’t forget to bring your own towel, otherwise you’ll have to go back to your room and grab one. They don’t provide towels there and you’re not allowed to use the gym without one.
The great majority of the staff is nice and friendly, but I saw one supervisor giving a hard time on the staff during breakfast in front of the guests, which was unpleasant and unprofessional.
The TV has many channels in English, but the signal is very poor, which makes some of them not to work at all and some get lots of interference.
The positive points: wireless internet access in the lobby (only wired in the room), nice pool, big rooms, good breakfast, free shuttle to the mall and back.

Room Tip: Check if everything is working properly in your room before settling down.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank eanselmi77
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 22 June 2011

The hotel Talatona is beautiful. This is the best place I have ever stayed at Angola. The rooms are large enough, clean and comfortable. There is good air conditioning, a flat screen television, and a fridge. The beds are nice enough for a comfortable sleep. The staffs are friendly and helpful. They speak good English too. The room service is excellent and the food is really good. Food and beverages in the restaurants and bars are nice, but a bit overly priced, I feel. There is a nice pool at this hotel. You can also avail the functional fitness centre at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Garan_88
Reviewed 10 September 2010

I paid 475usd a night, but then everything is expensive in and around the city. There is a shopping mall ( again very expensive ) less than 5min from the hotel, you could be in any mall around Europe, its excellent standard.

The hotel staff are very friendly, actually I have found everyone to be friendly in Luanda and felt very safe her, much more than of Lagos.

We hired a driver for the day from a local travel agent! I shall find the time to add there details when I return home ( I am still here ) this costs around 200usd a day although really the best way. Sorry going odd track, there are lots of hotels being constructed overlooking the bay, but until then I would recommend this hotel, cost for shuttle or private hire is 50.00 usd from the airport each person.

The hotel food is like everywhere else, you have drinks in the fidge but again they are over priced.

One last thing, bring mosquito spray and use this before you get of the plane, I was well prepared and glad, I have not been bitten despite them being everywhere.

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank DMLinford
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Beautiful hotel with very friendly staff, however the power supply is frequently interrupted. Each time it starts back up again it kicks in the automated air conditioning system & turns all the room lights on & switches off the alarm clock, therefore cancelling any alarm you may have set, blasting you with an icy cold jet of air & illuminating your room with 1000 watts. This happened 3 times when I was trying to sleep. Room service is frighteningly expensive, $30 US dollars + tax/delivery charge for a burger!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business