“Try another hotel...”

Talatona Convention Hotel
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Luanda
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Hotel de Convencoes de Talatona offers clean spacious rooms but the pricing at the hotel, especially the food and beverages, makes this hotel my last choice in traveling to Luanda. Also, internet service is terrible within the hotel. They need serious attention to their IT department which is apparently non-existent. If the problem were the service provider, I wouldn't complain but here, the problem is with the hotel's need of internal system upgrade. Internet drops and requires re-logging on approximately 40 times per day so doing any sort of business from this hotel is impossible. Food is not of any high quality and I question whether or not it is safe. I eat elsewhere. Unfortunately, the area offers nothing. There is quite literally NOTHING around so hire a car or be prepared to travel by taxi.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
HCTA, Sales & Marketing Management at Talatona Convention Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for the time invested in sending your opinion and presentation of the less positive points of your stay that we do regard as an added value in order to correct any faults and in a near future provide a better service that may meet your expectations as a HCTA customer.

Regarding the internet service we inform you that the hotel is currently in negotiations to correct all internet network failures and ensure wireless internet access in all the rooms and we hope that in your next visit you may already use this service.

We are sorry that your satisfaction with the food has not been fulfilled and we will take your review to ensure an improvement in this service.

Angola still presents a challenge regarding activities suggestions and places to visit as well as the provision of public transport services, therefore the hotel offers a free shuttle service to the Shopping center as well as to the pier that may take you to Mussulo Island.

We shall continue to work to ensure that at a forthcoming visit your expectations are exceeded.

The HCTA team hopes to welcome you back shortly and please do not hesitate to reach us for any further information.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

I travel for a living; so naturally I look at hotels as a second home! The Talatona hotel is probably the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in (mind you I have visited over 60 countries and stayed at various hotels!!). On the first night, I called room service for a bucket of ice which never arrived! I decided to go down and get it myself but on speaking to the bar staff I was informed they have no ice!!! The second day me and my colleagues were supposed to take the pre-assigned shuttle bus to the gym (as theirs has been shut for eternity) which was very conveniently sent ot the airport to get some guests; so we waited for over 2 hours before the duty manager told us that it was not their problem to transfer us to the gym and we should get a taxi! On day 3 (yes it goes on!!!) housekeeping must have knocked on my door despite having a DND sign several times offering me various amenities from a shaving kit to a wet wipe packet for no apparent reason. Furthermore on checkout two of my colleagues were overcharged by 300 dollars! I understand that Luanda is still growing and infrastructure is slow paced but proclaiming to be a 5 star hotel and not even delivering a 3 star service is just pure appalling!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Abhijeet23
HCTA, Sales & Marketing Management at Talatona Convention Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear Mr. Abhijeet,

In the name of the Talatona Convention Hotel team we thank you for your review and for your feedback on your stay with us.

It is with some regret that we're sorry that your stay has not met your expectations.

All reviews are very important to us, specially complaints, so we may perceive our faults in customer service and possibly correct any internal procedures.

Regretting once again every possible inconvenience caused, we guarantee that we will continue working to ensure that in your future visit you may perceive a five star quality service.

In the meanwhile, please do not hesitate to reach us for any further information.

HCTA Sales & Marketing Management

Reviewed 22 July 2013

The hotel is definitely nice and new - shiny marble and travertine, large expansive lobby, opulently ( if somewhat tackily) decorated, a few good sounding restaurant and bar options advertised. So I checked in with a degree of optimism. My room looked good; clean and well laid out with better decor than the lobby and most importantly, great bedding. However I got a shock when I settled in to do some work and found out there was no wifi - in a $450 plus a night hotel!?? I called the lobby in confusion ( they had given me wifi access vouchers when I checked in ), only to be told that indeed there was no in room wifi, only in communal areas. To use the Internet I needed a LAN cable - but they had run out so I had to wait approx 2 hours !! This was just the beginning of a catalogue of errors : my attempt to watch TV was futile as most of the advertised channels didn't work - no sound, interference and there was no in room DVD or movie facility ( at $450 a night!).
I attempted to make a cup of tea using the provided in room facilities but there was no milk. I requested some from room service along with some additional tea bags ( only 1 regular tea bag and loads of coffee and herbal stuff). After about 30 mins of back and forth with housekeeping, they finally turned up with replenishement tea bags and a jug of milk - which they billed me for !! Eventually, frustrated , I gave up chilling in my room & went downstairs to use the wifi and grab a snack - and spend 10 mins trying to get the attention of a server in the lobby cafe.
The next day, on returning to the room after work I noticed that a real slapdash clean had be carried out - bedding not changed, duvet straightened over barely made bed, carpet not vacuumed, bins not emptied, empty glass and magazines lying where I left them and no toiletries or towels replenished in bathroom. I complained and after 20 mins and plenty of apologizing, housekeeping turned up to clean properly. This happened 2 more times during a 4 night stay. Other issues included room access cards that never worked, issues with charging items to your room, constant power cuts and ridiculously slow Internet, where it was available. I predict once the newness and glitz of this place wears of , it's reputation and patronage will go down the tubes very quickly - no business traveller wants to spend $450 a night ad not even get basics. I will definitely not be returning

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Jane E
HCTA, Sales & Marketing Management at Talatona Convention Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Dear Ms. Jane,

First of all, thank you for your review and for your sincere words that we regard as an added value for the continuous improvement of our services and correction of faults and mistakes. Furthermore, we also take this opportunity to present our most sincere apologies for not reaching the expected quality of service.

Regarding the internet service we inform you that the hotel is currently conducting tests to ensure the service of wireless internet in the rooms and we hope that in your next visit you may already use this service.

With respect to the flaws pointed out in the housekeeping service we have to regret what happened acknowledging human error and we commit ourselves to correct them so that similar situations will no longer occur.

We reaffirm our formal apology and we do hope to see you in your future visit to Angola.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

I have stayed here for work on several occations. The hotel is relatively new and the rooms are nice and clean. But the service and food is not to the standard of a 5 star hotel. The hotel internet is also far to slow and is not usable for work purpose. Check-in and out of the hotel is also a slow process...

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
HCTA, Sales & Marketing Management at Talatona Convention Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2013

Dear Mr. Gjert,

First of all, thank you for your considerations and for your review.

We appreciate the information provided that we take as an added value for the continuous improvement of our services and correction of faults and mistakes, taking the opportunity to present our most sincere apologies if the quality of service has not met your expectations.

Furthermore, we inform that we are working on improving internet access and hopefully at a forthcoming visit you may already enjoy this service with satisfaction.

Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

A great hotel couldn't fault it except its very expensive ,staff are friendly and helpful , one of the best hotels I've stayed in Africa ,I would recommended this hotel ,rooms are modern and comfortable stylish

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Dar G

Dear Mr. Dar G,

The HCTA team thanks you for your kind words and review.

It is with great satisfaction that we verify that the service provided met your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We shall continue to work to ensure that at a forthcoming visit your expectations are exceeded once more!

Please do not hesitate to reach us for any further information or clarification.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

I stayed here for work. The hotel was excellent along with the staff. The room was clean not one dirty thing in the room. I was only here for a short time, but the staff made me feel at home & well rested.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear Sir,

The HCTA team kindly thanks you for your review.

It is a pleasure to see that the service provided went beyond your expectations and made you feel at home!

We hope to see you in a future time and if you require any further information or clarification please do not hesitate to reach us.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

My wife and I stayed two nights in Tatalona and we were treated with a genuinely good hotel with excellent rooms offering the rest and comfort that we needed after a long trip. The hotel staff is friendly and service minded in the restaurants and bars and the only reason that we do not give the hotel the excellent rating is the rather basic breakfast, which is OK, but not more than that. We would return to Tatalona any time.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear Mr. Soren F,

The HCTA team thanks you for your review and for your kind words.

We really appreciated your comment that we consider as an added value for the continuous improvement of our service and we shall continue to work to receive your excellent rating in your forthcoming visit, hopefully, in a near future.

Please do not hesitate to reach us for any further information, we will be at your entire disposal.