“Get ready to hear No... The worst by far...”

Talatona Convention Hotel
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Luanda
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Get ready to hear No... The worst by far...”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here on a business trip and this was by far THE WORST 5 star hotel I have experienced in my life in ANY country. The property itself was quite nice. Looked new and the rooms were decent. However they probably picked the worst staff in Angola. I swear the answer to every question/request was a flat no!

Where do I begin my terrible ordeal.... I arrived after a 11 hour journey only to have check in take 25 mins. There were probably 7 staff at the counter (with 3 working on my case alone) and it still took them 25 mins... 5 star service ladies & gentlemen! I got my room card and proceeded to my designated room. I entered to find 2 guests asleep in the room and their belongings all over the room. I was ACTUALLY given a room already occupied by different guests (with a working room key)! Can you believe this? I went down and complained and got a "oh sorry". Another 10 mins later a new room (which I entered very slowly). Again 5 star service!

We rented a meeting room for business meetings and the hotel lacked basic stationery like post-it notes or tape.

Despite clearing it on several occasions that I was a vegetarian, I was told that NONE of the menus in the hotel (cafe and 2 restaurants) had a vegetarian dish on them except for desert. I asked if they could whip up something simple like a sandwich with just cheese? No. Could they get me just french fries without the burger? No. Could they make the pizza just with cheese and nothing else? No. Finally had a Coke and went to pay the bill and they refused to charge it to my room. Again all I got was no. Why I ask? Answer: No... went to reception and they inform me post a few no's that they need to charge credit to my card if I want to charge to the room... well if you tell me this, I have no problem. Just saying no is not an answer.

It did not help that a 5 star hotel had virtually no staff that could speak or understand english.

Terrible, terrible, terrible services & staff... please avoid at all costs unless they change their staff and management... If this is 5 star according to them, I shudder to think what a 1 star will be!!

Room Tip: Check before you enter your room... someone may already be occupying it!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank G_the_Globetrotter84
HCTA, Sales & Marketing Management at Talatona Convention Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Sir,

We thank you, in advance, for your review and time invested to provide us feedback on your HCTA experience.

We regret the situation reported regarding the grant of an occupied room since it was an human error and over which we can only present our sincere apologies.

In relation to the availability of material on the meeting room, this material is not included in the proposals that are negotiated for meeting room rental, however, upon request, the hotel is pleased to provide the necessary help, therefore, we regret that this material has not been requested during the meeting.

We must, however, disagree on the information provided regarding our offer of vegetarian dishes as, a member of our team has made available to provide the necessary support to the organization of the event and did not get any information until the end of the event.

Finally, we apologize once more if the service has not meet your expectations, hoping to see you again in the near future.

Sales & Marketing Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Atlanta
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Hotel is located within a gated convention park for added security. It is new throughout. Breakfast buffet was 4 star. Rooms modern and clean with all conveniences. Typical to Africa certain things would not work now and then; AC in room and WIFI - both fixed immediately. Centrally located. Upstairs restaurant had 5 star food - truly I was impressed. Like all hotels in Luanda it was expensive.

Room Tip: High floor facing entrance or courtyard if you do not want to look out and see Luanda.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Sir,

On behalf of the HCTA team, we appreciate your valued review and that the service provided has met your expectations.

We hope to see you again in the near future!

Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

According to the reviews, it looks that I need to pay more than I expected. But it is not a surprising because the city is itself expensive for foreigners.

The room and the other facilities are modernised, looking great but the prices for the services are high.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SHOWBUKING
HCTA, Sales & Marketing Management at Talatona Convention Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Sir,

First of all, we thank you for the time invested in letting us your opinion regarding your stay with us.

As mentioned, Luanda is still one of the most expensive cities in the world and, for this reason, we are compelled to follow due to the high costs.

We do hope to have you staying with us in a future present and you may reach us for any information or clarification.

Milan, Italy
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

I spent 1 week in this hotel and my experience was overall very disappointing. To be clear, the Hotel is very nice and modern, a top standard for Africa, and the ridiculously high price is a common thing in Luanda. However, what is not acceptable is the poor quality of services and personnel qualification. Few examples:
- It is the only hotel I know where you cannot add your extras to your room. Either you prepay a credit, or you pay each time. Even for a coffe.
- You ask for a towel and you wait days and numerous follow up before you get it.
- Personnel at the desk does not speak English well, which means that managing any clarification you need on your bill or request becomes extremely frustrating.
- Finally, I had 1 dinner at the restaurant and food quality was very poor.
Since the Hotel offer is getting better and better in Luanda I will definitely try other options in the future.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ilp72
HCTA, Sales & Marketing Management at Talatona Convention Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Sir,

First of all, thank you for the time invested in sending us your review regarding your stay at Talatona Convention Hotel.

Regarding the faults pointed please allow us to present our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

In relation to the extra consumptions the hotel policy actually is to charge upon service or the guest may pay in advance, getting a value in credit to use at any of the outlets of the hotel.

We regret if the service has not met your expectations and we hope to see you soon so you can carry the memory of a truly 5 star stay!

Sales & Marketing Management

Travellers are raving about these Luanda hotels

Harare, Zimbabwe
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I did enjoy my stay at Talatona, the staff were very helpful despite our language differences, the breakfast spread was amazing! The only thing for me was that it kind felt like staying in a museum, i get that its a convention centre hotel but i felt the expanse of the lobby was too over the top! but overally it was a good stay!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

The HCTA team thanks you for your kind words and review.

It is with great satisfaction that we verify that the service provided met your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We shall continue to work to ensure that at a forthcoming visit your expectations are exceeded once more!

Please do not hesitate to reach us for any further information or clarification.

Best Regards,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Good location being next tot he convention centre. Very comfortable, sizable rooms; en-suite bathrooms are nicely laid out and the showers are powerful. Service was poor in terms of slow concierge for luggage delivery/collection; slow receptionists for check-in/check-out; extremely slow and rather rude service in the lobby cafe. It took 30 minutes to get a bottle of water and a cup of tea and I repeated my order 3 times to the same waiter. Waiting staff made you go to the counter rather than them coming to your table.

Look out for the traffic from the airport. It took over 1hr 30min to reach the hotel due to chaos on the roads.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Madam,

Thanks for sending your review, especially the negative aspects of your stay, which we will work best to ensure a better service during your next stay.

For further questions or additional information please do not hesitate to contact, we will be at your disposal.

With our best regards,

Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

For us the location of the Hotel was excellent, the staff helped through a couple of very difficult situations and gave great service. It is easy to see other reviewers point of view but service is not always about just price but caring for the traveller. On this occasion the staff cared very much for my wife and myself.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of corridors don't have Wi-Fi
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Sir,

We appreciate, first of all, your attention and time devoted in conveying your HCTA experience!

We are flattered by your words and pleased to know that the service provided has, in its entirety, met your expectations.

Hoping to see you again soon, we put ourselves at your disposal for any inquiries or further clarification.