Hotel Presidente Luanda
    US$349
    US$339
    US$269
    Good 3.5/5
    All reviewsluanda bayviews are amazingrestaurant food isspecial thanksbuffet lunchdecent placefast internetnice hotelan upgradeclean roomsexcellent locationroom serviceexpensive cityrenovationgymjogginginfluence
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 30 October 2012

Never thought I would find myself on my trip. This hotel is horrible. On check-in in the reception the staff had no idea what they were doing,I was the only person and it took 15 minutes to check me in. At one point there was no one at the front desk and people were starting to complain. No pressing iron and iron allowed to the rooms. When asking for your clothes tobe ironed they told me the machine was broken. Me and the untidy suit we were off to the meeting. My room was only made at 16:00 when I came back from my meetings. Reason being the fact that one lady did not come to work. Bar area aircon not working. Bathrooms look horrible.My advise stay here when you have nowhere else to go. Worst hotel experience ever.

Room Tip: stay away from this hotel
    1  Thank Nkosingiphile
    Reviewed 29 October 2012

A very expensive hotel - as all things in Luanda are. Staff were friendly and even spoke english. Were not good at "extras" like arranging drivers/taxis. Rooms were basic but very acceptable. Food was mediocre - found the little coffee shop/resturant (out the front door to the right - about 150 m up the road) far better value for money.

Room Tip: Try get a room looking over the bay
    • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
    Reviewed 27 October 2012

But then what do you expect for only $300 a night!!
    Actually, this was not such a bad place based on expectations. You won't get value for money anywhere in Luanda, and because there are no tourists, the staff don't particularly bother pretending to like the customers.
    I stayed in the presidente for 10 days, and apart from having initial problems
    1) There was someone already sleeping in the first room I opened the door to.
    2) the second one was a smoking room on the 17th floor,
    3) and on the way down to change room the second time, the lift broke down and I got stuck in it for 5 minutes

After this, my room was ok. The decent rooms seem to be on the 20th floor and above. There is a view of the docks at the front, and of the bay at the back of the hotel. The bathrooms are clear windows, but at 20 floors up, it's probably not a problem.

The rooms all have safes, and I didn't have any problems with anything going missing.
    Wireless internet is only available in the bar, and even then is very very slow. There is wired internet in all the rooms though, so do yourself a favour and install conectify. Then you can plug your laptop in, and use your phones/tablets etc wirelessly. . Don't expect blisteringly fast internet anywhere though.

One thing I was looking forward to in the Presidente was the gym. This was a big letdown. The "temporary gym" on the 6th floor is just a storage room with some running machines and rowing machines in it. According to colleagues, the old gym was exactly the same layout, but on the 8th floor. The fact that it has no aircon makes it very uncomfortable. However.... The presidente is ideally placed right at the end of Luanda bay. The redeveloped bay has police and security patrols all day, and as long as you run in daylight, it's safe enough to run around the bay for a nice 5k trip before it gets too hot.

One other tip for this place is the food. The restaraunt on the 6th floor is "ok", but nothing special.. Expect to pay $50-60 for a tasteless burger.
    If you leave the hotel and turn right, there is a cafe/bar called "Chitaka" about 50 metres up the road. They have a buffet for less than half the price, and also sell beer for $2 as opposed to double that in the hotel.

Room Tip: Go for higher floors, this seems to be the refurbished ones
    Reviewed 25 October 2012

As you are searching for hotels in Luanda, soon you discover their prices are a real nightmare for anyone. Despite this, the President Hotel was the cheapest (but not cheap) I found in an area next to the city centre. Location is very important in Luanda, 'cause there's a horrible traffic always and even taxis are rare. The Hotel is old, but passing through some improvements. The bed was nice, and the room was large, with some quite old furniture. I must talk about the water in the bathroom. Please, look at the pic I uploaded, the water appears to be very dirt (it's yellow!) so taking a bath or a shower becomes an heroism act! The staff is not so attentive, specially considering you're paying around U$ 300/night. Breakfast is ok. But, after all, you're in Luanda - you won't find much better deals.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
    Reviewed 13 October 2012

I checked in yesterday. Looking to be checking out today. My main issue is the wireless internet. Or lack of. I was told that it was in my room. Then I was told that it is on the 6th floor in the bar and restaurant. Then I was told it was in the bar, but they didn't have it. The restaurant manager stated that because the hotel was under construction, the restaurant did not have a working passcode for the internet. I then requested to have my meal delivered to the bar, since he said that is the only area that had working internet (which is a few feet away). He said something about being inappropriate, which I reminded him that hotel was inappropriate for the hotel to provide misinformation.
    When I tried to work the situation out downstairs, the employee seemed more interested in other things, and kept stopping me to do other things. I mentioned that this will be in a bad review on tripadvisor, and he agreed.
    For location, poor. There is a supermarket, but the hotel doesn't provide a hot pot. So you are left with just drinks and snacks. There is a restaurant, but the prices were no better than the hotel. The hotel food was okay. My cheeseburger was about $26US and dry. I would say that the bar staff that provided service was helpful, but he was the only staff that was.

Room Tip: I did get one of the new rooms. It was okay.