Hotel Alvalade
US$339
Travelocity
US$269
Travelocity
All reviewspool barrooms are cleaninternational airportroom servicebusiness tripprocedureafricacapitalimprovement
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Luanda is the most expensive city in Africa and this hotel is one of the most expensive hotels in Luanda. You've been warned!
Starting from this point, I just want to share some tips about Alvalade.
The hotel is not far away from the International Airport - this is the main pro. Luanda is a huge city with a crazy traffic and a very few traffic lights. These traffic lights get out of service on a daily basis, especially during the rush hours, so the distance between hotel and airport could be an issue.
As almost all the long haul flights from Luanda depart late evening, you will need a good lunch before leaving the hotel. The lunch at Alvalade means a warm and cold buffet and it costs about $75-80 / person, alcoholics not included. If all you want for lunch is some fish and chips, then it's sky high expensive, indeed. If you take your time when select the foodstuffs, then you can make a good deal. There is a large selection of gourmet foods available on the buffet, so if you pick the fine stuffs, the price becomes just right. They offer top quality varieties of French cheese, lobsters, grilled prawns and shrimps, sea food salads, oysters with various sauces, fresh tropical fruits and vegetables. You can chose from dozens types of vinegars, extra virgin olive oils and home made sauces and dressings to prepare your salad. There are amazing cakes, and coffee with cinnamon rolls for desert. All in all, the lunch could be a great experience, if you pick the good stuffs. If you order lobsters for lunch anywhere in Europe, you'll be charged the same or even more.
If you need a brandy after lunch, there is a bar in the hotel's lobby. The prices? High, but after such a lovely lunch, who cares? (a small bottle of Heineken beer - 0.25 Litres - is about $11 or so)

Room Tip: Top rooms offer less noise and better view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Jazzumbo
TDHotels, Manager at Hotel Alvalade, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback about your stay at Hotel Alvalade. It’s true that the prices reflect the high cost of living that exists in Luanda, nevertheless, it’s a pleasure to know that you had such a good experience, having lunch at Hotel Alvalade. We really work hard to provide good moments to our guests.
We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Luanda.
With my best regards,
Manuel Ferreira
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 11 November 2012

I have stayed here three times and each time I had problems at and after check in. The first time I was given a room key that did not work. I went back to the front desk and it took half an hour to get another key. When I went back to the room, I found that they had given it to someone else and then it took another hour to find a room for me. The next time I stayed there the room I was given was not made up, and it appeared as if someone else was staying in it. There were wet towels on the floor and the balcony door was open. When I went to the front desk, they thought I was complaining because it wasn't a bigger bed, despite me telling them that the room wasn't clean. It took another hour to get a room which seemed to have been ready to go. The food is decent but extremely high, which is on par with the surrounding area.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank TampaTampa99
TDHotels, Manager at Hotel Alvalade, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments. We work hard every day in order to please all our guests. Nevertheless, we are conscious that we are not flawless, that’s why our customers feedback is so important for us, to help us to improve the standards of our service.
We’re really sorry for the inconveniences that you had at the check-in. Sometimes, the usual high occupancy rates of Hotel Alvalade difficult, in particular situations, the quality of service that we really wish to provide, at all times, to our guests.
I also inform you that, currently, we’re providing English language courses to our staff, in order to avoid the kind of misunderstanding that you had at our Reception.
About the restaurant prices, they are defined according to the provided quality and the Angolan cost of living.
We hope that you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hotel Alvalade.
With my very best regards,

Manuel Ferreira
Rooms Division Manager
manuel.ferreira@tdhotels.com

Reviewed 30 October 2012

Booked to spend two nights on a business trip into Luanda. Check in was an experience as the staff offered me a room that was not ready and it took another 30 minutes to find an alternative room. $420 for a standard "special" single room is not only steep but over-priced for the room quality. Communication was difficult as majority of staff only spoke portuguese including the duty manager. The food standard needs urgent attention but still edible.
For a hotel of international repute, there is need to upgrade the staff training in hospitality and employ english speaking personnel.
With the coming of newer and better facilities, this hotel will continue to lose its cluster.

Room Tip: The facility is reasonably close to the airport and the traffic is not too chaotic.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Berry M
TDHotels, General Manager at Hotel Alvalade, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Dear Sir,
First of all, I would like to thank you for the time spent in writing your review.
We apologize for your unpleasant experience during the check-in. It is indeed, very difficult to keep up with the high demand of occupancy and avoid these, exceptional, miscommunication issues, between the reception and the housekeeping.
The hotel Alvalade rates are adjusted to the context of the Angolan economy.
We are aware that our staff’s English levels are not yet up to standard, therefore we provide current English training courses.
We hope to be welcoming you, on your next visit to Luanda.
Best regards,
Diogo Marques

Reviewed 14 July 2012 via mobile

Rooms are very comfortable, quiet and spacious, although airconditioning doesn't always work properly.

Trouble with elevator doors and key cards. You don't send a guest up to her room with a bust lock 3 times telling her she wrecked the key card.

Breakfast is great if you don't mind waiting for coffee 30 minutes.

• Stayed: July 2012
TDHotels, General Manager at Hotel Alvalade, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Dear Madam,

First of all let me thank you for the review, I would like to advise you that we have installed a security system in our elevators that guests will only access the room floors when inserting their key card. As the system was implemented in May, it might be a minor technical problem that occurred in your experience.

We apologize for the waiting time during your breakfast and we will spread through our restaurant staff your review, in order to avoid this kind of inconvenience in the future.

Best regards,

Diogo Marques

Reviewed 29 June 2012

Start off with the restaurant. It is only a buffet. The food is always luke warm. The soup is always hot, but who can drink $75us worth of soup. Every meal is $75us. I realize that some business travellers don't have to justify their expenses. I get $100us based on the state depr per diem rates. The room service is crap. A ham and cheese sandwich that has 1 slice of ham and 1 slice of cheese is $20us. $6.50 for a 12oz can of coke. At the airport the same coke is $2. Importing food is not part of the money equation. It is simply GREED.

This hotel bills itself as 5 stars. There is no way this is a 2 star hotel. The hallway smells like salt water. The service staff understands and speaks english until there is a problem, then you get a blank stare. The hotel manager has to calle in to fix everything. I have had everything, billing on my laundry, at the bar, and even telling me I was supposed to check out on a date 2 weeks earlier than what was on the paperwork when I checked in. I have stayed here for 4 weeks and only because the client is paying the room bill and my employer forbids me to move out because then my employer will have to pay for the new hotel. Needless to say I will never be back here. I have been all over the world and this is the worst experience I have had. Total crap hole.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul S
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Dear Sir,

First of all we would like to thank for the time you have spent on your comments, it is always important to have our customer’s feedback, even when it is not positive.

Please understand that our prices are adapted to the country's economic and social context.

We apologize for the inconvenience regarding the miscommunication with your reservation. We struggle to provide the best service in Angola. I really am frustrated with your experience in our hotel.

On your next visit to Luanda, please feel free to contact me to my email address below.

It would be a pleasure to receive you again in our hotel and we are certain that you will have a more pleasant stay, please do test us.

Sincerely yours