“First class service, great value!”
Review of StayWell Hotels

StayWell Hotels
Ranked #2 of 63 Gaborone B&B and Inns
new york
“First class service, great value!”
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

I had a wonderful experience at this small hotel. My room was quiet, spacious, and extremely comfortable. The staff went out of their way to make sure I had everything I needed. They had free breakfast and wifi, and offered a shuttle service for a very small fee. The restaurant was very good as well. Stay in one of the deluxe suites unless you need a lot of extra room- the largest exec suite has an outside entrance and you have to walk outside to get to the otherwise attached restaurant.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank greenL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Kentucky
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I stayed here while attending a meeting at the conference center.
I didn't have a vehicle, but it was easy and safe to get a taxi or to use the hotel shuttle.
The staff was outstanding, calling you by name and very attentive. They even called to ask if my colleague needed a ride from the GICC when they notice she hadn't arrived.
I stayed in the Executive Suite, which had an additional sitting area. I was traveling by myself and may have not needed the other room (which also had another TV), but it was nice to be able to store some additional luggage. The room also came wth a fridge, glasses and kicthenette sink. The room also had a patio area with two chairs and a table.
Bathroom was large and included a soaking tub and shower. Water was always hot.
I experienced one power outage while at the hotel, but the had a backup generator so there were lights in the room and the TV in the bar area worked.
Internet was good compared to the internet I had the the GICC and was included in the rate.
I had several collegues that stayed at hotels near the GICC and was glad I picked Staywell, my rate was much better and included breakfast and internet (which was a seperate charge for them).
The dining area was nice. They had a bar and a very large menu for only have 6 rooms. The food was good and very reasonably priced.
As mentioned in other reviews, the city center is a 10 minute drive, but cheap shuttle service for a taxi for 40-50 pula.
If I am ever in the area again, I would definitely stay here.

Room Tip: The Executive Suite requires you to walk outside to get the dining area, but is the largest suite...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SFKent21
new york
Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Staywell while at a conference at GICC. it is a small hotel with 6 rooms and a small restaurant. the room was spacious and spotless, the bed was very comfortable, and the service was beyond compare. The rate includes breakfast and internet, and the hotel provided shuttle service to the airport and convention center for a small fee. good to know- strong internet service and they have a generator in the case of power failure. Staywell exceeded my expectations- I would look no further if you're going to Gaborone!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank greenL
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 19 February 2013

This is an excellent lodge, very nice accommodations and facilities, very friendly and helpful staff, good food and superb breakfast. It is also close to Mogo crossroads, where there are three supermarkets and other retail outlets including a bottle store; about 1 km. The only serious drawback is the location; if you have to work in the CBD or government enclave during normal hours, getting there and back is a pain -- can take 35 minutes during rush hours, but only 10 at other times.

One other minor disadvantage is if you are sensitive to noise at night: a neighbor has chickens with a fairly vocal rooster who one may hear as early as 3 a.m., on weekends the local dogs may be upset by revelers coming home late, and occasionally the nearby BDF camp does night firing exercises. But absolutely this place is great; the quality of the accommodation, service, and food is well up to hotels that cost twice as much downtown, and because it is small and the staff friendly, if you stay any length of time you will be treated as family. Both the lamb chops and the kingklip are to be recommended.

Room Tip: The two suites are not much different from the other rooms, not clear they are worth the extra money...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jim C
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I found out about Staywell Executive Suites trough Trip Advisor while I was in the USA searching for a place on the internet to stay when I arrive in Gaborone enroute to South Africa. This was my second visit to Botswana but the first one in Gaborone. I was there for four days & three nights. I had a delightful experience at this hotel. I arrived late in the evening and I was warmly received by a very friendly staff member.

I had dinner in their small restaurant. The food was very delicious and appetizing. I had a good night rest. The bed was comfortable and the rooms were extremely clean. I also had access to a free internet provided by the house. The following morning I was treated to breakfast of my choice from the menu of the day.

The hotel has good security to it with a private security company on the premises. You needed not to worry about intruders or uninvited guests coming inside the premises. The perimeter was also fenced by a wall to ensure the safety of the occupants. A working safe was provided in the room to safeguard your valuables. This hotel is not in a bad neighborhood. It is a little bit away from the center of town, which is all well and good for me. All of this security is for the welfare of their guests. As the old adage says, Prevention is always better than Cure.

I did not need transportation since I knew a couple of people that live in Gaborone who provided me with transportation. The food was very good and the pricing of the hotel was very reasonable and affordable. I liked the idea of a refrigerator and a microwave in each room, plus the ample supply of complimentary tea & beverages placed on the dresser. The non alcoholic drinks that were stocked in the refrigerator were based on an honor system, and you paid for what you used.

Their hospitality was incredible. Since I had to leave early on my departure day before the kitchen opened they made my breakfast for me the night before. I put it in the refrigerator, heated it up in the morning and was able to have breakfast before my departure. Way to go. I will certainly use them again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Babson7717
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I can recommend this facility for the business traveller.Rooms are a good size compared to the others out there.Very neat and well priced ,again compared to the other hotels.
Staff were very friendly and helpfull.
The finishing touches add to the appeal of the hotel.
Hope they maintain the upkeep going forward , unlike some other hotels that open then degenerate over time
I will be back

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 26 December 2011

I don't think Gaborone's large hotels are very service orientated, so if you are looking for somewhere more personal and friendly with great service, then you should try the Staywell Executive Suites. I struggled to try to make a booking online from West Africa through the usual means and even got 2 travel agents onto the job to help me, but the large hotels failed to respond. However Staywell responded to my emails, allowed the electronic payment, and followed through with an airport transfer. When you are flying in from out of town these are essential services! Thanks!
The hotel itself is a bit out of town and doesn't have many rooms, but it is tastefully furnished and has everything you need such as internet connection, restaurant with great food, and friendly staff who answer all the usual tourist questions. I would opt to stay here anytime as it sure beats the large and unresponsive hotels of Gaborone. Also, as the city is fairly spread out, I think you would need a taxi to get around for most things, so the location is not really a problem. The hotel arranged a driver to take me out for sightseeing which was probably cheaper than what I would have had to pay from the larger hotels anyway.
If you want a responsive, well-organised place to stay in Gaborone AND you want to support a local businesswoman in her new venture, I would definitely recommend that you try the StayWell. I am sure you will be as pleased with what you discover as I was!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo