“Great hotel that provides an excellent dining experience.”

AVANI Gaborone Resort & Casino
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Gaborone
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Upon our arrival at the hotel, there was a rather unfriendly looking receptionist behind the counter. There was also nobody available to assist us with our luggage. This was however our only negative experience of this hotel. In general, most staff members appeared to be genuinely friendly and professional.
We were allocated a room in the Mophane section, and found it to be neat and clean and pleasing to the eye, with the décor of a very high standard.
Their restaurants provide the finest dining experience. We enjoyed an excellent dinner at the Mahogany Restaurant. The food quality combined with the very good service received makes this one of our favourite dining venues world wide. With Botswana being recognized as one of the best beef producers in Africa, the steaks served there really live up to the standard. We also attended the buffet breakfast and dinner at the Savuti restaurant, where we also experienced the food and service to be of very high standard.
My wife and I also spent some time at the pool terrace, where we found the staff friendly and attentive to our needs as guests.
Like all other Sun International Hotels, their casino was professionally run by friendly and very efficient staff.
We would most certainly visit the hotel again and recommend it to associates.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LeonKay
There are newer reviews for AVANI Gaborone Resort & Casino

Reviewed 10 August 2013

I had not been to Gab's for years as I never had a reason to visit till the CHAN game between Botswana and Zambia, stayed at this Hotel and it was a pleasant stay, off course the Hotel has seen better days but still it was comfortable and fit for the purpose. The staff were very friendly, the rooms clean and the breakfast the usual Sun International fill up. The casino adds cream on the cake as with the new stringent Botswana alcohol Laws it's the only place in Gabs that is open late.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Stayed here for 10 days while working.

Enjoyed my stay -- my room (close to reception on 2nd floor) was large and clean (a bit dark), bed was comfortable, hotel was quiet except for a crazy flock of birds every dusk. The breakfast buffet was absolutely over-the-top in terms of selection. Ate at the terrace pub most nights -- unspectacular but decent food. Nice to have the gym, although only one treadmill was in working order when I stayed.

Location is remote from city amenities if you don't have a car, but that's like most hotels in Gabs.

Biggest complaint was the expensive and poor WiFi, but that sounds typical of Gaborone too, rather than specific to this hotel. Would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Finny442
Reviewed 31 July 2013

As I was on a business trip with the companying paying for my accommodation, I'm not sure how prices compare. But I do know that in a lot of African capitals, there's often a shortage of accommodation, and hotels can be expensive.
I agree with many of the other travellers' assessments, which reflect what you can expect here. But here's my take.

The reception staff are friendly and helpful. Check out procedures on leaving (early morning) were a bit chaotic, with only one person on the desk and about 10 guest needing to check out. And beware about wake-up calls: my colleague got hers an hour early (4.15am), while mine never came.

With regards to the rooms, on the positive side they are large and comfortable, and nicely furnished. A little old fashioned, perhaps, but there's a nice sized desk for working on, and the hotel provided an electric adaptor so I could plug my computer in. (I'm not sure if that's standard in hotels these days, but I'd think it essential that they have adaptors of the countries where most of their visitors come from).

BUT... There are a few things that could be improved. Two single beds pushed together doth not a double make! There's no ceiling light, so the room can feel quite dark. Some of the wiring on the plugs was a little loose and exposed. It's a bit weird that there's a small balcony, yet no door to access it. And I'm not sure why, because it was a non-smoking room, but there was a pervasive smell of tobacco smoke in the room, which seemed to get worse, rather than better over my stay.

With regards to eating, beware if you are staying in and don't have transport to go out. The food in the main restaurants is quite expensive (at least by South African standards). We ate on the terrace (à la carte), which was slightly more reasonable, but the quality was not at all good. Bar prices are much higher than those in South Africa.

There is a free shuttle to the airport (about 15 minutes away), but it isn't all that frequent, and so not necessarily all that convenient. We only needed to be at the airport at 6.45, but had to catch the shuttle at 5.45am.

So, overall - an OK stay, but there are things that could be improved.

Room Tip: Ask for an inward facing room, as otherwise you look out onto the car park and a busy road, which is...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank NautieZA
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Checked in during the afternoon. Also paid for wifi, P90 for 1Gb. The whole afternoon, evening and morning we had disconnections and very poor Internet service. I had to sit at the bar to get coverage and Internet that was workable. The quality of Internet service remains the top problem experienced by hotel guests, and it has the biggest impact on customer service world wide. Service at hotel now includes the quality of wifi and Internet.

The service at breakfast the first day was terrible, had to get my own coffee as I still hadn't been serviced after 20 min. Plates were piled up on the small stable. Don't know if they were just short staffed as there were very few people at 06h30.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Mark L
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Having stayed here once 6 years ago, I was not particularly looking forward to a return, especially after having been spoilt by the Hilton Windhoek in the preceding days. However, I was pleasantly surprised. My room had had a makeover and was perfectly adequate. Beware that some rooms can be quite a distance from the hotel lobby (especially if you prefer to walk through the hotel rather than across the pool are). Room 263 was about as far away as you could get - you didn't want to get to reception and realise you had forgotten something! More pleasurable than I had anticipated, and breakfast was also of good quaity.

Room Tip: Just check how far it is from reception if you have mobility problems. Note that there is no lift
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2013

The hotel is very nice with an old colony feel to it especially the bedroom. I had a luxury room which was featured in the Gaborone sun web site. the room was large with a large seating area, had lots of storage space and had a 6 foot bed. The room over looked the gardens at the back of the hotel, which was very nice. I found the staff very helpful and friendly. I never made use of the hotels casino, but from a brief walk through found it to be populated with slot machines. If any thing the hotel for me was not situated with in walking distance of anything, but none the less a very nice hotel which I can honestly say I would say happily stay in again

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh