“New hotel, working out the kinks, but overall very nice.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Masa Square Hotel

Masa Square Hotel
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Gaborone
baltimore, maryland
“New hotel, working out the kinks, but overall very nice.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

Part I: Botswana is a lovely, well run, rising nation in Southern Africa. I was impressed at the infrastructure and marveled at the pace of growth around me in Gabarone. Part II: The Lansmore Masa Square hotel is part of that growth. It is new - obviously managed by folks who have run hotels elsewhere - and run them well. That being said, this hotel is a work in progress. The rooms were spacious, clean, and well-appointed. The staff was friendly and responded to every request with smart, professional zeal. They haven't quite mastered the art of anticipating guest needs. And there were some essential business needs that they couldn't quite meet, such as reliable working internet - and no alarm clocks in the rooms - which required a daily wake up call request. They'll get tired of that last bit and provide alarm clocks for the rooms eventually. Also, the pool space is a wasted opportunity on the third floor roof. What should be a focal point of social activity - was relegated as a forgotten space. For three days straight the pool was closed for "cleaning," however, the remains of several parties (champagne bottles, ash trays, and beer cans) remained on the pool deck - giving it a quite neglected feel. Also, poor choice of installing a particle board bar top on the uncovered bar - warped and peeling. Come on, how many millions of dollars was spent to build an attractive modern hotel, and you couldn't spend another $1,000 on a granite top?

All in all, the Lansmore is nice, clean, comfortable, and friendly. I'm sure they'll work out the final details and rise well above the other top-end hotel choices in Gabarone. Certainly, at the Lansmore, you don't have the "casino crowd" in and out of the lobby as you find at the Gabarone Sun.

I'll give the Lansmore a couple more test runs before I enter my final verdict.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Rupert E, General Manager at Masa Square Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
Thank you so much for your largely very positive review - you have raised some interesting questions for us to ask of ourselves and the property for which thank you . We do have to finish off the pool deck and I am sorry you found it in a state when here. I am hopeful that our pool deck bar will open soon and yes we will get rid of that bar counter - poor show on my part -

Thank you again and please make yourself known to me on your next visit - I would love to meet you in person.

With warm wishes

Rupert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

A great hotel in Gabarone with friendly and attentive staff. Great for the business traveller with fast wi-fi, and a good restaurant or cafe option for meetings and meals in a good central location. The hotel has only recently opened but I understand that an experienced manager has come from the UK to manage it, and this shows. Accommodation is reasonably priced and I will use this hotel as my base in Gabarone forthwith.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Colin M
Rupert E, General Manager at Masa Square Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
Thank you very much for your very kind review - this has brought a smile to our collective faces - so pleased you liked the place. Please come again soon

kind regards

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

I stayed in the relatively new hotel for business (2 nights). I was pleasantly surprised by the modern decor and the luxurious rooms.

Unfortunately, I was surprised by the following problems:
- Guest parking is not clearly marked when approaching the building. Worse still was the security guard pointing this out very assertively when I parked in front of reception to inquire about parking)
- I was astonished when arriving at breakfast at 6h40 in the morning only to find that the cooker used to preparing eggs was not hot enough. I had to wait until 7h00 until an egg could be prepared !....this was a first for me at any hotel, let alone a 5 start hotel
- Staff in the breakfast area are very numerous, however, it was difficult to attract the attention of the waiters for tea/coffee, and the chef was not attentive once I finally ordered breakfast
- WIFI connection is unusable: although staff indicated that there was an outage, there was no apology given to colleagues on the first night of our stay. On the second evening, the internet connection was again unstable. My technical colleagues were unnable to support me remotely, which meant I needed to stay on in the office to do the work (over telecon with the technical team) - very annoying! On arriving in the hotel later, I was unable to use Skype on the very poor internet connection. After I complained, an ethernet cable was provided, but that did not improve the connectivity. The most annoying thing is that the staff I raised these concerns with made as if I was the only person who had raised these issues. This when at least one of my colleagues raised this personnally with staff the evening before. Added to this, you can see from previous reviews in October 2012, that this does not seem to be an isolated problem. I actually took the time to perform a speed test on the connection, which indicated very poor average throughput (peak speed on http://www.speedtest.net was 2Mb/s)

Overall, a very pleasant hotel, however, the basics need to be convincingly covered to make this an automatic choice for business travelers.

Unfortunately not worthy of a 5 star rating, and value for money is questionable given the shortcomings. Perhaps more problematic than the issues, is the fact that some of my complaints seem to be issues which have been experienced since the hotel opened.

I would stay at the hotel again as it is clearly a league above the more established hotels, but I would expect to see significant improvement in all the areas I have mentioned given the premium charged.

Regards,
Business Traveler from SA

• 3 of 5 bubbles
I am sorry to take so long to respond to your review which I read with increasing disappointment - I must apologise for the irritations and shortcomings you experienced in our new place - we do have some wrinkles to iron out and it is only with such frank and open criticism that we can improve. So while not pleasant to read your feedback, I thank you for it.

Please do get in touch with me personally prior to your next visit - I would welcome the opportunity to deal with your reservation myself and to have the opportunity to show you how we do things the rest of the time.

With renewed apologies,

Pretoria, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

I booked into Lansmore at 17:30 on 4/02/2013. I did understand that the wireless facicilty is part of the service. I tried to connect since after arrival until about 21:00 on a on and off basis without success. I asked the lady at reception about it and she told me the server was down and it should work now. well I did test it at 04:00 on 05/02.2013 and it was still not working!
Please sort this out as for it is a option that is payed for and that is not working!

Regards,

WJ Bosch

1 Thank Wynand B
I am so sorry that the dramas we had with our WIFI impacted your stay so much - this must have been very frustrating. Even the best systems have bugs and I am sorry this blighted your experience - I would only comment that the WIFI is free to guests, not charged for.

I do hope you will try us again on your next visit to Gaborone - I assure you of our very best care.

With renewed apologies

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

The entrance is impressive and the reception staff charming and helpful. But the reception area is sparsely furnished with just a few chairs and was not air conditioned - it was 35 degrees outside and not much cooler inside.
My room was not ready when I checked in mid-afternoon and they lent me another room to have a shower after a long haul flight so that I could get to a meeting. The room when I finally got it in the evening had scaffolding directly outside and overlooked a building site. It was, however, clean and comfortable, although a drawer in the beside unit would not close properly. The shower was lukewarm on one day and cold the next; and the shower screen leaked water all over the floor. I woke the next morning to find workers on the scaffolding directly outside of the window; they had woken me up early with their noise.
A colleague and I were not allowed to have lunch in the restaurant'... as there is a function in the hotel...' and the restaurant was full! So we went to the coffee shop - also run by the hotel - and waited 35 minutes for a club sandwich despite the fact that then place was nearly empty. I had to leave before the meal arrived to save being late for another meeting. And a coffee and croissant the following morning took 20 minutes. These times are OK for a tourist hotel but not for one targeting business travellers.
And a late night event with very loud music (mid week...) did not help getting to sleep either.
The gym mentioned by other reviewers is still not open. The free wireless was a bonus - and it works well.
All in all, a very mixed review. This is not a cheap hotel. The staff are charming and helpful but there is much to sort out at this hotel before it can realise its potential; the management really should have sorted out its teething problems by now. I'll stay at the Gaborone Sun next time and give this one a try again in a year or so.

Room Tip: Ask for one without scaffolding and not looking over a building site!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LondonMariner
I am very sorry to read your review and of your disappointment in the place - we dropped the ball in several areas for which I sincerely apologise. Your time with us was far removed from the type of experience we strive to deliver and while I completely understand you wanting to try somewhere else please do contact me directly should you decide to come back here. I would like to handle your reservation personally.

Sincerely

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

Stayed at the at Hotel from the 20th to the 24th of jan. Checked into the hotel yet the key card scanner was not working hence got my room, but only got an entry card the following evening,( had the bellboy scan me in every time I needed to enter the room) breakfast was average, wifi works perfectly and is on the house( great advantage). please bear in mind this hotel has only one Genset and incase of a power cut - no air con, no sockets for charging and no room lights would work.. So good luck as Gabs does have it's share of power cuts. spent one entire night and morning without power.... the staff were very apologetic but never had proper answers. Let's hope they do improve their levels of service....and maybe get another Genset to cope up with their power cuts.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Rupert E, General Manager at Masa Square Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very sorry you were not completely thrilled with your stay. A software failure on the key computer as well as a general area power cut could try anyone's patience and I can only apologise for the considerable inconvenience you encountered.

Our keys now work beautifully and our generator configuration is being addressed by those who should.

I do hope you will not write us off and in the event you come back, please contact me directly, I would like to handle your reservation personally.

With kind regards and renewed apologies

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

Staying in Gabs for business and LMS was the perfect choice. Very new, modern, comfortable, service is excellent, breakfast included and delicious, free wireless (yay!). Hopefully they'll get their gym up and running soon! Will stay here again when I return.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank ciam2379
Rupert E, General Manager at Masa Square Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
Thank you so much for your lovely review - we are all thrilled you liked the place and that you will be back. With warm regards