“Brilliant location but 5 star?”
Review of Masa Square Hotel

Masa Square Hotel
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Gaborone
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located in the new CBD in Gaborone and we could walk to our offices which is a nice change. The rooms facing the courtyard can be very noisy on weekends. The vodka bar on the 3rd floor is a fantastic place for sundowners. The breakfast is nice but nothing special - not 5 star quality or spread. I will stay here again due to the location but they need to up the special attention given to the things that make it a truly wow hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Must-see-the-world1
Rupert E, General Manager at Masa Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thank you for your largely positive review of the place - we clearly have more to do at breakfast and strive every day to improve in all areas for that challenging five star level. I am glad you will be back and hope you will see some improvement.

There are newer reviews for Masa Square Hotel

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Should I come again to Gaborone, I will definitely choose this hotel once again! The Hotel is very new and has a pleasant modern style with a good and very nice atmosphere (exactly the opposite of the Sun, where I have been previously). The whole structure is very neat and clean, the staff is unbelievably friendly, smiling and always ready to help customers. The Hotel is not "centrally" located, it's in a new area in development but it's easy to reach nay part of the city from there. It faces a small plaza, accessible directly from the hotel, where a few very good restaurants are located (this could be a bit noisy on fridays and saturday - if you mind, ask for a room not facing the plaza), giving you a good choice without the need of a car). Breakfast is very good and with a great choice, salty or sweet, including eggs and pancakes prepared on the spot. At the third floor there is a small outdoor infinity pool (never used unfortunately) and a gym. In my opinion the gym is the only thing that really need to be improved in this hotel: it is small and overcrowded during the week, although it has relatively good machines and runners. Rooms are very good, well appointed with good quality linen and bedding, very clean and nice bathroom with bath tub and shower.
I definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the plaza if you stay here during the weekend and you mind nois...
2  Thank FedericoPaesano

How wonderful to read your review - thank you for taking the time and trouble to write it. I am sorry you found the gym too busy - it has been a surprise success since we opened it and we are talking to our partners to see what plans we can make to free up some hotel guests only time.
Thank you once again - I hope you will be back soon

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Spending a week in Gaborone and unfortunately the office booked me at the Lansmore. Last night there was an event and it took 25 minutes to get into the parking garage and park. Tonight I lay in bed, in my room that over-looks the courtyard that they have turned into a night club. The blaring music, the people yelling to be heard, all reverberating against the room windows.

Management need to decide if they want to run a hotel where people come to work and sleep, or a nightclub that attracts huge, yelling, drinking crowds.

And the icing on the cake, there is a cockroach in the bathtub.

1  Thank itchandscratch

I am very sorry to read of your disappointment in your recent stay - and the visitor you had to your room must have been very irritating. It is always particularly upsetting to hear of issues after a guest has left rather than having the opportunity to fix them when still with us. The Square that is Masa is a very vibrant city centre piazza which we over look and share with three (presently) other businesses. We would have happily moved your room to the other side of the building so you could get some peace and I am so sorry you appear to have put up with the noise for a week.
The bug in your bath is a first for me and I will find out what went wrong in our pest control for him to make it into your room. My sincere apologies.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

The Hotel is modern and very comfortable, the staff are friendly and helpful, and the facilities are great. The restaurant in the hotel is good but there are also several options within the complex including a good steak restaurant that also has some good wine at reasonable prices.
I stayed here for 3 days for business, so hard for me to recommend as a leisure hotel because you are in a business district, but it worked for me.

Room Tip: I had a room with a view of the atrium, which I would avoid as you can't see much, but I wasn...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Rupert E, Manager at Masa Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review - what a thrill to see you like the place - I hope you will be back.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Nice hotel even though there is a lot of construction around! Booked online and paid deposit to secure my booking as required when checking out invoice didn't show any deposit and when I asked the staff didn't know anything about deposit paid for online booking had to wait for statement to confirm.

I booked two rooms club for my kids and suite for myself seemed not to differentiate which is which so had to change rooms 3 times.

Enjoyed our stay though also used the gym!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I was asked to attend a meeting in Gaborone and told that accommodation had been booked at paid for at the Lansmore Masa Square hotel. Before I left Cape Town, I called the hotel to verify that all was in place. They gave me a confirmation and so off I went. Was I shocked when I reached the hotel and only told, my room had been given out and that they had no rooms available. I was then referred to some lodge where I was forced to pay for the night unbudgeted for. Called them in the morning, the receptionist was not willing to send a driver for me saying check in is at 2pm. So I finally get back onlyto be told that their system was down and that it showed my room was occupied when in fact it was not. Seriously?

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Rupert E, General Manager at Masa Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

I am so sorry to read your review on our hotel. It looks as though your booking was handled clumsily and this coupled to a drama with our property management system made for good reason to be annoyed with us. It is always disappointing to read a complaint on tripadvisor rather than hear if from the guest themselves but this notwithstanding I apologise sincerely for our failings.

Your experience, as this site alone will attest, is not typical of the standards we normally deliver and I am keen that you get to see us doing it right. To this end please contact me directly at the hotel when next you have cause to come to Gaborone. I would like to handle your reservation personally.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have visited Gaborone several times and have stayed in a number of hotels there. Lansmore hotel is a different place indeed. I was impressed by its modernity, from the condition of the building outside right to the rooms. I liked the room set-up which is very spacious with two sets of television, the other for viewing while in bed. The service staff were very friendly and attentive. Internet is free and very reliable also. There are several restaurants in the food court which forms part of the hotel complex and they offer a good variety of meals to choose from. This is very convenient for the busy business person.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Rupert E, General Manager at Masa Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Thank you for your kind review of Lansmore - I do hope you will be back soon