“Fungi in the bathroom gives a signal.....”

Peermont Metcourt Inn at The Grand Palm
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Gaborone
Oslo,
“Fungi in the bathroom gives a signal.....”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Computersystem down when arriving. Well helped by staff.
Check-in smooth. "Smokefree" room stank of cigaret smoke. Got another room very fast. A smal room but called executive room - large bed- room facing towards road. If you are used to live in a city it is no problems. Executive room: small-good bed - noisy since facing road-large AC taking a lot of space and sounds like the old windowsill AC -a tiny desk - a small safe -
Tried to get something to drink before bar opened.-no problem-even got someone to carry the bottles to the room.

The room-service is hardly that. They do not have beer, wine etc. They cannot exchange potato crisps (sidedish) w/e.g. french fries. They serve 3-4 dishes in polystyren containers-probably re-heated in a microwave-oven. No cutlery save a plastic spoon.
There are some small signs of missing maintenance: paint falling of the wall in the bathroom. (Showerhead missing-reported to frontdesk who acted imediately! Hurrah! )
More serious is that there was mould (fungi) in the shower! Not a speck but covering areas.

WiFi in the room, but speed chocked to 50 KB and the total amount for two days aprox. 500 MB
Not good enough!
Breakfast: good coffee-good selections-friendly staff
Staff seem to have understood: guests first.

When checking out we were told when paying food in cash: No small money to give you back. Hm...
All in all: a hotel I would use for a one night business trip provided that the fungi is cleaned out.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the road if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Peermont, General Manager at Peermont Metcourt Inn at The Grand Palm, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
FUNGI IN BATHROOM GIVES SIGNAL

Thank you for the review and feedback. We will ensure the mould (Actually residue from Silicone seal) is completely removed from our Bathrooms.

Metcourt Inn is a Select Service Hotel and we do not offer full on room service but a limited Deli Service snack menu. Metcourt Inn is Gaborone’s preferred Business hotel and we continually score highly on our Mystery Guest Index 96% for January to March and 93% for May to June 2013.

Our staff is amongst Botswana’s finest that are always willing to resolve guest problems and committed to exceeding Customer expectations at every guest interface.

Regards,

TED SOUTTER
Metcourt General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
johannesburg
Reviewed 19 April 2013 via mobile

My first stay at the Metcourt, certainly my hotel of choice for a next visit to Gaborone. For those of us traveling on business (at the shareholder's expense) hotels like this should be the standard as it offers almost everything (free wifi in-room?) one needs.
The complimentary hotel shuttle provided a comfortable ride of around 25 minutes to the hotel which is located on spacious well-kept grounds which just ask for a stroll and watch a glorious African sunset.
Check-in quick and pleasant, the room fairly small but comfortable and bathroom/shower that was clean and functional. Air conditioning enough capacity to cool down the room quickly and then switch to fan only or just off.
Breakfast all I need at a reasonable price, good coffee and pleasant service.
The transport that I asked the evening receptionist to arrange the previous day arrived well on time and provided me with reliable/safe transport for the day.
Coming back from my appointments for the day I realized that I had quite a hit of time to kill so decided to enquiry about renting a room for part of the day which normally would only be done at full rate as a matter of policy. The day crew ( thank you ladies) took an interest in my 'plight' and negotiated a discount which they didn't have to do but gladly did it it with a beautiful SeTswana smile.
The nice thing about staying at the Metcourt is the access to the restaurants and bar of the other hotel on the premises.

Summarizing, the hotel gives very good value for money in a very age and attractive environment. Every member of staff that I engaged with (including security officers) were true ambassadors of their brand and true to the great SeTswana tradition of friendliness and hospitality.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Gaborone, Botswana
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Been here many times. My first choice in Gaborone. Centrally located in a beautifull surrounding with palms. Access to same facilities as the exclusive Walmont such as swimmingpool, several restaurants and casino. Good and caring staff.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kwara
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights from 2-4 April, rooms are small but manageable and the air con is very noisy. Breakfast not included in our rate and seems overpriced for the variety provided. Overall not fantastic and security in doubt as it seems that upon returning to our room night before our departure, someone had placed a privacy tag on the door which got us curious. Rooms were made but apparently some of our toiletries were missing, as it wasn't anything valuable, we did not bother reporting to the management, we were lucky to have left our important documents in the safe provided. In view of our early morning flight (which requires departure to airport at 5.30am), I could not trust the complimentary airport transfer after reading feedback from other travelers as we could not afford to miss our flight. Anyway, it will not be our choice of hotel for our next stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Margaret S
PeermontHotels, General Manager at Peermont Metcourt Inn at The Grand Palm, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Budget hotel- not so fantastic’

Thank you for your feed back reviewed on the 9th of April. The Metcourt Inn has a great reputation for honest staff who are dedicated to customer satisfaction. We are disappointed that you did not report your alleged missing toiletries as this would have been investigated immediately, as the room door locks can be interrogated to see who entered the room and we also have CCTV surveillance in our corridors. All air conditioners in the rooms’ are new console units and operate differently from split units. All our rooms also have digital laptop safes and the carpeting has been replaced within the last year. The breakfast at the hotel is a Full English breakfast and consists of a choice of three cereals, muesli, bran flakes and cornflakes with skimmed or whole milk, a choice of three yoghurts, plain, fruit cocktail and strawberry, sliced fresh fruit of honeydew melon, spunspek melon or pineapple, 3 types of fresh fruit in season, fresh apples, bananas, plums or peaches, selection of pastries, Danish, croissants, scones, bread rolls, selection of dried fruits, mango, banana, apricot with pecan nuts, choice of cold sliced cucumber, onions, and salmon, whole-wheat or white bread toast, eggs to order, scrambled, fried or boiled, choice of grilled beef or pork sausage, grilled bacon, hot special dish of the day could be grilled minute steaks, beef mince or grilled mushrooms, and choice of unlimited tea or coffee priced at P115 per person or US$14. We are pleased that you did not miss your complimentary shuttle to airport and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel to enjoy our new facilities at the Grand Palm complex, the Bai Sheng Chinese restaurant and the Camelot Spa.

Dorie please see other reviews which I copied to you this morning where guest was happy about breakfast!

Regards,

TED SOUTTER

Metcourt General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Gaborone hotels

Accra
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I have stayed at the Metcourt on 2 occasions. Generally it is a good place to stay for the business traveler if the staff can get their act together.

During my first visit, the stay was good until check out. I had a flight at 7.30am and I had informed the personnel at the reception about this the day before. They advised me to check out and be at the reception by 5.30am. At 5.15am, I was had checked out and was waiting for the shuttle to the airport provided by the hotel. Despite constant reminders, they kept me waiting until 7am when the shuttle finally showed up. We got to the airport 15mins to departure and obviously missed the flight. I went back to the hotel and they offered to change my flight booking to a later flight at 2pm. I managed to get to the airport on time for the second flight. However, during check in, I was informed I had to pay for the flight reservation change. As it turned out, the hotel made the change but told the airline I would pay for the change during check in. I was pissed off but there wasn't anything I could do as I couldn't reach the hotel and the guy I was with was the driver who couldn't help the situation. I was forced to pay for the change and was on my way.

The second time I was there, I sent my clothes out for laundry more than a day before my departure. As I was preparing to check out, I called the laundry to request my clothes to be brought back. The lady told me they couldn't locate them and they were looking for them. A few minutes later, I called back and was told they had located them but they had not been washed. I was forced to travel on recycled clothing. This time round I got my friend to drop me at the airport :)

Apart from that, I also found the rooms to be a little small and cramped and the air con is too noisy. Also be very careful with the exchange rate used when paying in foreign currency.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
“There is room for improvement”

Thank you for the feedback on your last visit. We are disappointed to learn that due to a shuttle delay on the 05.30 am run you were late for your departure flight, and also had to pay a change of flight fee, you also had a delay with the return of your laundry, we will investigate these service delivery issues and take remedial action to ensure that they do not happen again.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Metcourt is the perfect place to stay in Gaborone for business. It has all the convenience and comfort of a 5 star hotel, except the huge price tag. Our Executive Room was lovely and quiet. The King size bed was comfy with modern decor. Good use was made of the available space, the room and bathroom was clean. The bathroom has a lovely shower with fluffy towels. There is aircon, TV with a variety of news and sport channels. There is a compact cupboard and coffee/tea facility in the room. The breakfast buffet (which was not included in the rate) is overpriced and some of the items in the buffet were running low, and not being replenished which was disappointing. Overall the Metcourt is good value for money, we booked through Expedia which included free internet, but we would have been charged per hour had we not booked through Expedia. What's great about this hotel, is that you have access to the Peermond Grand Palm Hotel and all it's facilities and lovely gardens and grounds which includes; Tennis Courts, Squash, Swimming Pool, Gym, Spa as well as the variety of of Pubs and Restaurants as well as the Casino and business Centre at the Grand Palm Hotel. Don't miss dinner at the 'Bai Sheng' Restaurant at the Grand Palm Hotel. It's speciality is Asian Cuisine and the food is simply out of this world. Booking is essential since it's the hottest new restaurant in Gabs and word is spreading fast! There's a festive vibe, tranquil stylish decor. Most people order a variety of dishes and share. I recommond the Beef Stir Fry with Egg Rice which was just delicious! We will definitely be back at Metcourt - thanks to the staff who made sure we had everything we needed for a successful business stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the south side, away from the busy road, it's quiet and has a lovely view.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Pleasantly surprised - so much more than just a hotel “5 star facilities at 3 star prices”

Thank you for your feed back on your recent stay at the Peermont Metcourt Inn at the Grand Palm Resort in Gaborone Botswana. We are thrilled that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience of the hotel and also of all the additional facilities on our exciting Resort, lovely gardens, tennis courts, delectable restaurants, cardio gym, variety of Pubs and restaurants, especially Bai Sheng our new Asian cuisine addition, exciting Casino, conference centre and opening soon the Camelot Spa. We are disappointed to learn about our breakfast buffet not being replenished on time and will take remedial steps to ensure you are totally satisfied when we see you again soon.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with the Metcourt, with only a rating of 3 star I didn't expect too much but was greeted with well presented friendly staff who eagerly organized me an early check in. The room was fair sized with all the facilities you would need and an amazingly comfortable bed! The breakfast was lovely and the restaurants available at the main hotel for dinner was fantastic. A really pleasant experience and just what you need when away from home for business.