“Very disappointing”
Review of La Palmeraie

La Palmeraie
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ouagadougou
La Palmeraie
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Ouagadougou
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I went to this hotel having read the positive reviews here on Trip Advisor. Now I realize that these reviews are quite old, and perhaps the quality had dropped over the years.

I went for work in Ouagadougou and the internet was disastrous. They have six different wifi networks you can sign onto, and most did not work. Most time was spent shifting from one to another in a vain effort to find one that worked for even a few minutes. Thus it was not feasible to work online at the hotel.

The air conditioner in my room and my colleague's room barely cooled our rooms at all. At midnight when I woke up in a heavy sweat I realized that if I turned on the overhead fan that made the room more tolerable. The rooms we had were clean, but small and very minimal.

I had just arrived from the US was jetlagged and needed to sleep. I ordered dinner at the hotel. I got a dish with chicken that was so hard and rubbery that could not cut it with my knife or pull it apart with my hands. I only was able to get meat off by digging my teeth into it, and there was little meat. Restaurant staff were kind, however.

We had reservations for five nights (again based on reading positive reviews). When we told the front desk manager that basic things we needed to do our work did not function (internet and CA), we were told by the primary reception staff person that we would have to pay the full bill for all nights we had reserved for. The discussion became a difficult argument with him the night of our arrival and then the next morning. Eventually he involved his supervisor, and after sitting with him and his supervisor, the supervisor negotiated with his own staffperson (!) that we be allowed to leave after paying the bill only for the one night we had spent. This wasted at least an hour of our time and created frustration and anger during the 15 hours we were there. A night reception manager was much more understanding, but appeared to have no influence on decisions.

I've worked in the region for 2 1/2 years and now visit frequently for work, so I am somewhat accustomed to the region, hotels, facilities and food. My experience at this hotel was worse than my experience in many other places in Burkina Faso, West Africa and sub-Saharan Africa. We had wanted a nice change from the larger, impersonal Splendid Hotel, but the decision to try the Palmeraie was a mistake. We then returned to the Splendid, which, while not perfect, was significantly better. Most basic things do function at the Splendid.

Room Tip: No good rooms I am aware of
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Pat C

Reviewed 13 April 2013

is a small hotel, very intimate.

breakfast is not spectacular but everything is there.
bar/restaurant has a very nice setting, staff is not qualified, they are not interseted in the costumors, they don't know what a waiter should do.
foor is very good,nothing special but everythingwhat i eat had a good taste and was well presented.
Rooms are spacious, but little bitold fashioned.Clean

pool is very nice, near to the bar, just the water was dirty even that they cleaned it everyday, still it was not niceto swim in

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank didi091
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Simple clean rooms at a negotiable rate! I spent more than a week and It was better than any of the hotels I tried on previous business trip. The outdoor restaurant was a favorite for all meals...and the food was fresh and great by the swimming pool, excellent wireless in all places, the staff was helpful (French please!)
The trees and the garden cool down the temperature in the compound, and you forget that you are in a center of the city away form the noise and traffic.
You will have a hard time to convince me that you will find better in Ouga.
And thank you for the fellow trip advisors, I found this 'Oasis' on this very site!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Dantes25
Reviewed 30 November 2012

We have been staying at the palmaraie almost every time we come into Ouagadougou for business. The rooms are large and comfortable, the staff very helpful and it really is wonderful to hold informal meetings under the trees. The wifi is good and accessible from everywhere. The food, especially the lunch buffet has become much better than it was. Unfortunately because this is such a wonderful place to stay they are now almost always fully booked so you must reserve well in advance of your stay.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Dan3456
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Ok, I'm a goodguy and I share with you one of my best secrets in Ouagadougou, the hotel La Palmeraie is a small 3 stars hotel in Ouagadougou where you will find very simple but beautiful hotel, with good sized rooms, with nice deco, a very attractive pool, a good restaurant with excellent breakfasts. Everything super clean, and all that in a fantastic jardin in the very centre of the capitale. A fantastic added value compared with all the others hotels in know here. Enjoy and tell me if it's not an excellent advise.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank jcbolay
Reviewed 10 March 2012

The Palmeraie is a smaller hotel near to Ouagadougou airport with a good and clean standard, friendly service, a good (not excellent) kitchen and a quite acceptable rate between prizes and service. The quality of the rooms is a little bit variable, depending on their location - near to the (very small) pool, rooms are nice, but mosquitos are more frequent, within the garden area, rooms are quite dark and warm, but with less mosquitos. Not recommendable is to take one of the rooms near the laundra - they are very hot and loud (rooms 6 - 8).
For the African environment, the hotel provides a very clean and carefully maintained standard, but it is absolutely recommended to speak French as the understanding of English of the service personal is poor to quasi non-existent.

Meals are very recommendable, though salads and fresh fruits are not so recommendable, as they provoke sometimes diarrhoeal diseases. The choice of wines is a little bit limited, but rather good.

In sum, a good choice for a fair prize.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Christine F
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Great park-like garden with "paillotte" (shady places for working &relaxing), nice bar&restaurant (buffet style breakfast), friendly staff; rooms are spacious with aircon and moskito-net and mini bar, reliable laundry service and nice recption desk... more then centrally located behind "Places des Nations Unies" and nevertheless quiet... free wifi/welan works in all rooms and all corners of the garden... a place I like to return...

Room Tip: Suit is not too expensive and adds space...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business